BeyerDynamics DT 770 Pro 80 Ohm Headphones. What is the best AMP/DAC to compliment these headphones?
Jul 18, 2015 at 11:35 AM Post #16 of 45
  If you plan on getting more headphones in the future I'd probably grab a Modi2/Magni2 combo or Audio-GD NFB xx (can't remember the digits but some people talk good about it).

Hey like I said, Can't really find and Schiit equipment here in NL. As for the Augio-GD there's different types. I'll do some googleing

Edit: Looks like you need to open up the unit and change the filters for them to really shine which I'd rather not do since this will be my first amp/dac

Jul 18, 2015 at 11:47 AM Post #17 of 45
Hey like I said, Can't really find and Schiit equipment here in NL. As for the Augio-GD there's different types. I'll do some googleing

Edit: Looks like you need to open up the unit and change the filters for them to really shine which I'd rather not do since this will be my first amp/dac

I don't think you need to open it up and change anything. The default setting will sound great. Think of that as an advanced option for techie people, just like all the advanced hardware config options on a wireless router (RTS, TX, antenna gain) that 99.9% of people never change.

Jul 18, 2015 at 1:47 PM Post #19 of 45
  Can't seem to find the Audio-GD NFB 12 anywere neither. I need to get it from a retailer in The Netherlands or Amazon/eBay UK 

For headphones like the Beyer DT770 Pro 80-Ohm, you might consider getting a moderately priced tube headphone amplifier.
Maybe something like the Bravo Ocean? ($120 USA price).
You can even find tube headphone amplifiers for under $100, on eBay.
I just can't see spending a lot for amping the DT770s, decent headphones, but there is better.
I use to really like my DT770 Pro 80-Ohm, until I started getting headphones with a less loud, but more controlled bass.
(for me I would sell off the DT770 and get something like the Philips Fidelio series).

Hifimediy sells a USB DAC for $57 + shipping ($8?)
http://hifimediy.com/DACs/ready-made-dacs/U2-DAC?sort=p.price&order=ASC&limit=25
Get whatever headphone amplifier you choose and plug it into the Hifimediy

Jul 18, 2015 at 2:38 PM Post #20 of 45
Can't seem to find the Audio-GD NFB 12 anywere neither. I need to get it from a retailer in The Netherlands or Amazon/eBay UK 

Audio-GD is factory direct order from China. Here is the model you want: http://audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB1532/NFB15.32EN.htm. If there were a retailer, it would cost you a lot more.

You might look for an Objective 2 + ODAC. Could be there is someone in the Netherlands distributing them.

Jul 18, 2015 at 3:34 PM Post #22 of 45

For headphones like the Beyer DT770 Pro 80-Ohm, you might consider getting a moderately priced tube headphone amplifier.
Maybe something like the Bravo Ocean? ($120 USA price).
You can even find tube headphone amplifiers for under $100, on eBay.
I just can't see spending a lot for amping the DT770s, decent headphones, but there is better.
I use to really like my DT770 Pro 80-Ohm, until I started getting headphones with a less loud, but more controlled bass.
(for me I would sell off the DT770 and get something like the Philips Fidelio series).

Hifimediy sells a USB DAC for $57 + shipping ($8?)
http://hifimediy.com/DACs/ready-made-dacs/U2-DAC?sort=p.price&order=ASC&limit=25
Get whatever headphone amplifier you choose and plug it into the Hifimediy

I could return them if there's something way and way better for around 500$ Total.
I'll take a look at Hifmediy, Was also looking at the BravoAudio 2, anything on that?

Audio-GD is factory direct order from China. Here is the model you want: http://audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB1532/NFB15.32EN.htm. If there were a retailer, it would cost you a lot more.

You might look for an Objective 2 + ODAC. Could be there is someone in the Netherlands distributing them.

Thanks, I can get the o2+ODAC for 300$, Is it worth throw that at 150$ headphones?

Did you already buy the DT770's?

Yes, But could return.

Jul 18, 2015 at 3:39 PM Post #23 of 45
Thanks, I can get the o2+ODAC for 300$, Is it worth throw that at 150$ headphones?

It's a good dac/amp. However, you might find more expensive headphones than the DT770 that you could pair with the FiiO E10K that would give you better sound overall. Usually your best bet when putting together a setup is to put more money toward the headphones (and speakers, too, for that matter), than the electronics.

Jul 18, 2015 at 3:41 PM Post #24 of 45
It's a good dac/amp. However, you might find more expensive headphones than the DT770 that you could pair with the FiiO E10K that would give you better sound overall. Usually your best bet when putting together a setup is to put more money toward the headphones (and speakers, too, for that matter), than the electronics.

Yes, That is true. That's why I put the price range from 150-200, I COULD return them. But would only if it's really really worth it. Total budget would be around 500 max. Any suggestions? 

Keep in mind I do like the 770's I really notice that there's potential in them

Jul 18, 2015 at 7:00 PM Post #25 of 45
Okay, How much of an improvement would the Sennheiser HD650's be over the 80 ohm 650's?

And here comes the question again: I'd have around MAX 100-150$ for an amp left. Any suggestions?

Edit: If I don't get a 200$+ amp would it be worth it to buy the 650's anyways?

Jul 18, 2015 at 7:41 PM Post #26 of 45
  Okay, How much of an improvement would the Sennheiser HD650's be over the 80 ohm 650's?
And here comes the question again: I'd have around MAX 100-150$ for an amp left. Any suggestions?
Edit: If I don't get a 200$+ amp would it be worth it to buy the 650's anyways?

I'm thinking if you return the DT770 Pro 80-Ohm and got the Philips Fidelio (used is fine).
Then you could just get the Schiit Fulla, USB-DAC/amp, $79.

Jul 18, 2015 at 7:46 PM Post #27 of 45

I'm thinking if you return the DT770 Pro 80-Ohm and got the Philips Fidelio (used is fine).
Then you could just get the Schiit Fulla, USB-DAC/amp, $79.

Like I said, Can't get Schiit equipment here ( NL ). If I get a nice tube amp I wouldn't have a DAC. Which I'd need to buy too then which would , again , go over my budget. 

I thought that for 200$ you'd have quite some options but it sounds like it's the lowest you could posibily go :p

Jul 18, 2015 at 9:16 PM Post #28 of 45
Update on this, I've gotten to the headache phase 
frown.gif

I've decided to stick with the DT 770's 

I'm nowhere near an audiophile. I'm looking for this: ( with keeping in mind I can't get Schiit equipment here. ( I'm in the Netherlands) ) 

- An AMP and a DAC that will be a combined cost of 150 - 200$

Or

- An all in one AMP and DAC under 150- 200$

Whatever will improve my audio experience the most. ( I mostly listen to spotify premium ) Non-competitive gaming and movies. 

Thanks 
k701smile.gif

Jul 19, 2015 at 11:45 AM Post #29 of 45
Update on this, I've gotten to the headache phase :frowning2: Matrix Quattro

I've decided to stick with the DT 770's 

I'm nowhere near an audiophile. I'm looking for this: ( with keeping in mind I can't get Schiit equipment here. ( I'm in the Netherlands) ) 

- An AMP and a DAC that will be a combined cost of 150 - 200$

Or

- An all in one AMP and DAC under 150- 200$

Whatever will improve my audio experience the most. ( I mostly listen to spotify premium ) Non-competitive gaming and movies. 

Anyone on this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back