BeyerDynamics DT 770 Pro 80 Ohm Headphones. What is the best AMP/DAC to compliment these headphones?
Jul 17, 2015 at 3:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

Detailed

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone,

I know that there are a million of threads about AMPS, DACS , The Beyers and I've read as many as I could.

However I still do not know what would be the best AMP/DAC to get. I guess it always depends on situation and personal preference so I'm going to list my specs/situation:

- Headphones are now plugged straight into motherboard. 
- Headphones will stay at home at my desk.
- I'm willing to spend anywhere from 150 to 200 $ if it's worth the money.
- Listen to all kinds of music, Mostly Hip-Hop and maybe some ''summer'' house.  Also watch movies and play games but are not a priority. ( However if these would be sounding better it'd be nice )

Now before posting I've done as much research a headphone noob like me could do and have found a couple of things:

Of course the Fiio e10k. Which I like but I've read reviews which keep me from buying this.

and what has really caught my eye is the AudioQuest Dragonfly 1.2 , 

Now the question is: What AMP or DAC. Would make my headphones sound the best for the money? 

As of now, I like the sounds quality but definitely feel like I'm missing out on the headphones full potential. Does the Dragonfly 1.2 make the headphones go any bit louder other than just improving the sound quality seeing as it is listed as just a DAC?

Any help is appreciated,

Cheers! 

Jul 17, 2015 at 2:31 PM Post #3 of 45
I have a FiiO E17 and E09K combo with my DT770-Pro 80's that works really well.

Added bonus, I can take the E17 with me when I travel.

I have not heard any of the Schiit products, but from what I know they perform very well.

Jul 17, 2015 at 2:52 PM Post #4 of 45
Heya,

Thanks for the reply, Nice to hear you actually have the set yourself. I like the fact the E17 is portable. However with shipping and having to buy them separately it would cost me over double my budget. I don't mind spending a bit more for a better solution but I'm not ready to throw almost 400$ at 200$ headphones.

Jul 17, 2015 at 2:55 PM Post #5 of 45
Heya,

Thanks for the reply, Nice to hear you actually have the set yourself. I like the fact the E17 is portable. However with shipping and having to buy them separately it would cost me over double my budget. I don't mind spending a bit more for a better solution but I'm not ready to throw almost 400$ at 200$ headphones.

Not sure what the cost is, but the E17 itself would work for you as both a DAC and AMP for PC/Laptop use as well as serving as both (with the right cables, for iPhone anyway) for portable. The E09K is simply a desktop amp (the combo uses the E17 as DAC and E09K as amp, in addition to adding 6.35mm plug capability, rather than the E17 for both).

Jul 17, 2015 at 3:04 PM Post #6 of 45
Not sure what the cost is, but the E17 itself would work for you as both a DAC and AMP for PC/Laptop use as well as serving as both (with the right cables, for iPhone anyway) for portable. The E09K is simply a desktop amp (the combo uses the E17 as DAC and E09K as amp, in addition to adding 6.35mm plug capability, rather than the E17 for both).

Heya,

Thanks, Now the E17 is under my budget. However it looks good and has positive reviews. Have you tried the headphones with just the E17? And is it a big difference between the set and the E17 alone?

Jul 17, 2015 at 3:09 PM Post #7 of 45
Heya,

Thanks, Now the E17 is under my budget. However it looks good and has positive reviews. Have you tried the headphones with just the E17? And is it a big difference between the set and the E17 alone?

Not from my PC, but I have used just the E17 with an old iPhone and these headphones when I travel and they work really well. Volume is there and while there may be a difference in clarity, I can't pick it up with my ears.

I really recommend it. It was my first amp that was separate from a sound card (have a Xonar DG that has a built in amp) and I've been very happy with it.

Jul 17, 2015 at 3:11 PM Post #8 of 45
Not from my PC, but I have used just the E17 with an old iPhone and these headphones when I travel and they work really well. Volume is there and while there may be a difference in clarity, I can't pick it up with my ears.

I really recommend it. It was my first amp that was separate from a sound card (have a Xonar DG that has a built in amp) and I've been very happy with it.

So would you recommend the E17 or the new E17k? I'd be moving from onboard audio so expecting a decent change in quality. 

Jul 17, 2015 at 3:20 PM Post #9 of 45
So would you recommend the E17 or the new E17k? I'd be moving from onboard audio so expecting a decent change in quality. 

Depends entirely on future plans.

Sonically they should be identical. The screen should be a little better on the new E17K (there is artifacting on my E17 if I leave the screen on for a long time) but the scroll wheel means that the volume could be accidently changed if it's in your pocket (for example).

The E17 will dock with the E09K, the E17K will not. You will have to wait for the K5 to be released before a desktop amp dock is available (last I read this and the X7 should be released around the same time). The E17 has optical in, the E17K does not.

If I were buying brand new today, I'd go with the E17K. By the time I needed or wanted the desktop amp, the K5 would be released.

Jul 17, 2015 at 3:24 PM Post #10 of 45
Depends entirely on future plans.

Sonically they should be identical. The screen should be a little better on the new E17K (there is artifacting on my E17 if I leave the screen on for a long time) but the scroll wheel means that the volume could be accidently changed if it's in your pocket (for example).

The E17 will dock with the E09K, the E17K will not. You will have to wait for the K5 to be released before a desktop amp dock is available (last I read this and the X7 should be released around the same time). The E17 has optical in, the E17K does not.

If I were buying brand new today, I'd go with the E17K. By the time I needed or wanted the desktop amp, the K5 would be released.

Thanks for all your help, I appreciate it. What you're saying is true, if I get either the 17 or the 17k now I won't be upgrading anytime soon anyways. And if I later decide to get the K5 it would be months later at least.  

So if no one else has a option that would maybe be a little more expensive but better ( doesn't have to be portable ) I'd appreciate the info.  If not I'm going to be the owner of an E17K end of this month.

Thanks again for your help Liquid 

Jul 17, 2015 at 7:16 PM Post #11 of 45
Quick update on this,

I really want to pull the trigger on the E17k but reading things that make me doubt them again, such as this : http://www.head-fi.org/t/620775/the-sub-200-portable-amps-shootout-13-11-amps-compared It gets put on the same spot as the E11 which is half the price.

Again I don't care about portability or something just really want to get a good DAC/AMP for the 200$ price mark

Jul 18, 2015 at 9:11 AM Post #12 of 45
  Quick update on this,

I really want to pull the trigger on the E17k but reading things that make me doubt them again, such as this : http://www.head-fi.org/t/620775/the-sub-200-portable-amps-shootout-13-11-amps-compared It gets put on the same spot as the E11 which is half the price.

Again I don't care about portability or something just really want to get a good DAC/AMP for the 200$ price mark

Anyone?

Jul 18, 2015 at 10:19 AM Post #13 of 45
FiiO E10K should suffice if you don't wanna spend alot of money 
smile.gif

Jul 18, 2015 at 11:03 AM Post #15 of 45
If you plan on getting more headphones in the future I'd probably grab a Modi2/Magni2 combo or Audio-GD NFB xx (can't remember the digits but some people talk good about it).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back