Beyerdynamic Xelento!
Sep 26, 2023 at 8:08 AM Post #2,866 of 2,949
And yeah, for sure foams are great for isolation. The Etys with foams isolate like earplugs. And also, yeah, they are not as durable. I can't say I miss having to frequently change the tips (as I do with Etys) when I use the u12t / silicone.
Also FWIW if you can insert your foam tips gently without deforming them, they’ll last a lot longer. I do that with my Symbio F foamies and have yet to need to replace them, after almost a year of somewhat light usage.

Sep 26, 2023 at 8:35 AM Post #2,867 of 2,949
Also FWIW if you can insert your foam tips gently without deforming them, they’ll last a lot longer. I do that with my Symbio F foamies and have yet to need to replace them, after almost a year of somewhat light usage.

Agree. I haven't had an issue with the Symbios at all. The Ety grey foams are another matter. Great tips but the glue quality/application is an issue I think.

Sep 26, 2023 at 8:46 AM Post #2,868 of 2,949
Agree. I haven't had an issue with the Symbios at all. The Ety grey foams are another matter. Great tips but the glue quality/application is an issue I think.
Aah gotcha. Yeah and in my experience Comply tips do not last long at all, either.

Really digging the Symbio F; they feel a bit more like silicone when it comes to sound and durability but have all the isolation and comfort of foam.

Sep 26, 2023 at 8:56 AM Post #2,869 of 2,949
Aah gotcha. Yeah and in my experience Comply tips do not last long at all, either.

Really digging the Symbio F; they feel a bit more like silicone when it comes to sound and durability but have all the isolation and comfort of foam.

Yeah, the Complys are bad too, especially considering the price. I bought one pack and that was enough. Similar construction I think.

I agree, the Symbio Fs are fantastic. The only reason I stopped using them is that, at least with the u12t, I couldn't get a perfect fit in one ear no matter the size, it just really wouldn't stick in place. I was half ready to consider selling or returning the u12t until I tried the SednaEarfits, which changed the game for me. That said I have high hopes for how the Symbios will work with the X2. :D We'll see.

Sep 28, 2023 at 5:36 PM Post #2,870 of 2,949
Just tried the Monarch mkII and U12t today in Japan yesterday. I've owned the OG Xelento for 5.5 years now when I last visited Japan. I don't remember what other IEMs I've tried back then but these two are my first new tries since getting the Xelento. Unfortunately I only had 35 mins but my impressions are both sounded better overall than the Xelento. I could hear and pick up background and small sounds much better like darn I've been missing out on all these details this whole time! Xelento is definitely more comfortable to wear though.

The Monarch felt a bit "boring" since I'm more of a basshead but I could easily add extra bass through my dac/amp. Also I didnt have the best fit ear piece with the Monarch and bass gets compromised without proper seal. At similar price I'd pick the monarch over the xelento.

The U12t was interesting since some sounds seem to come from further away from my ears and at the back part of the IEM? Better clarity and bass but a bit brighter than the Monarch.

The Monarch mk3 was available but someone was demoing it and I had to leave. I want to go back if I have time but I also don't want to get tempted to spend anymore on audio though. Perhaps I could check used prices on the monarchs

Sep 28, 2023 at 8:38 PM Post #2,871 of 2,949
Just tried the Monarch mkII and U12t today in Japan yesterday. I've owned the OG Xelento for 5.5 years now when I last visited Japan. I don't remember what other IEMs I've tried back then but these two are my first new tries since getting the Xelento. Unfortunately I only had 35 mins but my impressions are both sounded better overall than the Xelento. I could hear and pick up background and small sounds much better like darn I've been missing out on all these details this whole time! Xelento is definitely more comfortable to wear though.

The Monarch felt a bit "boring" since I'm more of a basshead but I could easily add extra bass through my dac/amp. Also I didnt have the best fit ear piece with the Monarch and bass gets compromised without proper seal. At similar price I'd pick the monarch over the xelento.

The U12t was interesting since some sounds seem to come from further away from my ears and at the back part of the IEM? Better clarity and bass but a bit brighter than the Monarch.

The Monarch mk3 was available but someone was demoing it and I had to leave. I want to go back if I have time but I also don't want to get tempted to spend anymore on audio though. Perhaps I could check used prices on the monarchs

Wow nice, was this at e-earphone? I may be there today. I hope the mk3 is available for demo there, I want to try it. Thanks, great info.

I prefer the u12t (which I own) to the mk2 on the majority of tracks but it is close, and I've considered picking up a pair of mk2, but being that I prefer the u12t just have't done it. I keep testing and deciding not to, lol. So the plan is to test the Xelento remote 2nd gen. and possibly pick them up as a 2nd pair to the u12t. Did you try those as well? From what I've seen they seem to be excellent and exactly what I'm looking for but haven't tried yet.

On that note... I wonder if they are expected to go on a significant sale anytime in the next several months, anywhere? It seems that they cost roughly $900 worldwide, give or take. A little bit more in Tokyo due to the horrendous exchange rate. They do have discounted used pairs, but not discounted enough to make it worthwhile. And from what I have seen they only very rarely are put on sale used on this site. Not that I particularly want to buy used, but anyway... does anyone happen to know if they might be like $675 new in a few weeks on Amazon or wherever in the holiday sales? If so it might be worth it to wait.

Sep 28, 2023 at 9:10 PM Post #2,872 of 2,949
Wow nice, was this at e-earphone? I may be there today. I hope the mk3 is available for demo there, I want to try it. Thanks, great info.

I prefer the u12t (which I own) to the mk2 on the majority of tracks but it is close, and I've considered picking up a pair of mk2, but being that I prefer the u12t just have't done it. I keep testing and deciding not to, lol. So the plan is to test the Xelento remote 2nd gen. and possibly pick them up as a 2nd pair to the u12t. Did you try those as well? From what I've seen they seem to be excellent and exactly what I'm looking for but haven't tried yet.

On that note... I wonder if they are expected to go on a significant sale anytime in the next several months, anywhere? It seems that they cost roughly $900 worldwide, give or take. A little bit more in Tokyo due to the horrendous exchange rate. They do have discounted used pairs, but not discounted enough to make it worthwhile. And from what I have seen they only very rarely are put on sale used on this site. Not that I particularly want to buy used, but anyway... does anyone happen to know if they might be like $675 new in a few weeks on Amazon or wherever in the holiday sales? If so it might be worth it to wait.
Yup! E earphone in Akihabara area. Their website will tell you which stores have it for demo. I'll be in Osaka this weekend and deciding if I want to visit their store there and demo more. I'll have to see if I can convince my SO to do her own thing while I do earphones stuff lol

https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/15incs1/comment/k2n8blh/?context=3
Someone on reddit have both mk3 and u12t. He said it is brighter than the u12t so that could be a concern for me but that it's a fun set compared to both. Let me know your verdict!

I didnt try the Xelento 2 since it's likely more similar than different than my OG but I'll read up on it in a bit

Sep 28, 2023 at 11:29 PM Post #2,873 of 2,949
Yup! E earphone in Akihabara area. Their website will tell you which stores have it for demo. I'll be in Osaka this weekend and deciding if I want to visit their store there and demo more. I'll have to see if I can convince my SO to do her own thing while I do earphones stuff lol

Someone on reddit have both mk3 and u12t. He said it is brighter than the u12t so that could be a concern for me but that it's a fun set compared to both. Let me know your verdict!

I didnt try the Xelento 2 since it's likely more similar than different than my OG but I'll read up on it in a bit
Cool, thanks a lot. I'll definitely try the mk3 in Akihabara.

I haven't tried either version, but it appears that the Xelento 2 is different and by most accounts a significant improvement on the first incarnation so it might be worth trying for sure. I definitely plan to. :)

Sep 29, 2023 at 12:00 AM Post #2,874 of 2,949

The Xelento 2 is completely different than the original (have both). Way better tuned, significantly wider stage, better controlled bass, fuller and more present mids and smoother trebles.
I think its a great option if you consider the Monarch 2 or u12t.

I have them all and did an extended comparisons for the whole weekend and i would say this:

To me the Monarch 2 is still best tuned, magical midrange, the smoothest trebles and the most natural overall.

u12t is smooth, warmish (to my ears) and laid back/distant but not as smooth in trebles as the Monarch. The u12t has this holographic, almost visual stage and layering and great detailed bass.

Xelento 2 seems the smoothest from them all but still as detailed. It doesnt have the best holography and layering but has huge oval stage, which wraps around head (more like full sized headphones). But i have a problem with a significant 5k peak which bothers me and doesnt go away, no matter which tips i use. This peak seems more boosted than on the Monarchs and u12t and this area becomes piercing or ringing after 20-30 min of listening.

I still think that the Monarch Mk2 is the best among them all but the bass is fussy and needs some boost. They sounded great with IFI Gryphon with XBass ON and with Dethonray Pegasus Gold due to its boosted bass. Unfortunately, i couldnt get such bass with them when i pair them with more "traditional", neutral sources, like the AK sp1000, dx320, Shanling M9 etc.

Sep 29, 2023 at 5:25 AM Post #2,875 of 2,949
The Xelento 2 is completely different than the original (have both). Way better tuned, significantly wider stage, better controlled bass, fuller and more present mids and smoother trebles.
I think its a great option if you consider the Monarch 2 or u12t.

I have them all and did an extended comparisons for the whole weekend and i would say this:

To me the Monarch 2 is still best tuned, magical midrange, the smoothest trebles and the most natural overall.

u12t is smooth, warmish (to my ears) and laid back/distant but not as smooth in trebles as the Monarch. The u12t has this holographic, almost visual stage and layering and great detailed bass.

Xelento 2 seems the smoothest from them all but still as detailed. It doesnt have the best holography and layering but has huge oval stage, which wraps around head (more like full sized headphones). But i have a problem with a significant 5k peak which bothers me and doesnt go away, no matter which tips i use. This peak seems more boosted than on the Monarchs and u12t and this area becomes piercing or ringing after 20-30 min of listening.

I still think that the Monarch Mk2 is the best among them all but the bass is fussy and needs some boost. They sounded great with IFI Gryphon with XBass ON and with Dethonray Pegasus Gold due to its boosted bass. Unfortunately, i couldnt get such bass with them when i pair them with more "traditional", neutral sources, like the AK sp1000, dx320, Shanling M9 etc.
Just did quite a bit of reading on the Xelento 2. Seems like a good improvement from the OG but those who had compared it to the monarch mk2 and mk3 prefer the value of those better, but Xelento is king for comfort and portability. I could keep the Xelento for travel and comfort use then get one of the monarchs

Sep 29, 2023 at 8:56 AM Post #2,876 of 2,949
Honestly, if you are a basshead I think Mk3 gonna suits you better.

It has bigger bass than Mk2 iirc.
Pretty sure sufficient for basshead.

Sep 29, 2023 at 9:12 AM Post #2,877 of 2,949
Honestly, if you are a basshead I think Mk3 gonna suits you better.

It has bigger bass than Mk2 iirc.
Pretty sure sufficient for basshead.
That's true but to me they are also neutral. The OG version was a typical V-shape, this one is actually neutral with big bass shelf but in real life, the bass isnt as big as the graph would suggest.
But they are definitely more bassy than the Monarch 2.

Sep 29, 2023 at 10:54 AM Post #2,878 of 2,949
A few different IEMs have gotten a lot of discussion in the last several posts, the Monarch MK2, MK3 and Xelento 2. I just spent a couple of hours comparing them at e-earphone in the hope of narrowing down a contender for a pair to be a counterpart to my u12t. I think I may have found one, but the result really surprised me.

All my listening was done with the Shanling M6U, and through balanced cables.

So... to my ear, the MK3 was the clear winner.

The MK2 are just so raw sounding. They are harsh to me. I was thinking about it... once upon a time I wrote and recorded music. I think it was recorded and mixed it pretty well... but it was never mastered, so it sounded raw and harsh. And I feel like this is what I am getting with the MK2. Technically, everything is there, it's perfect. It's so well tuned. But I can find it almost grating. If I needed to precisely analyze a track to find some sound they'd be a great pair to reach for... but I just don't feel motivated to sit for hours and listen, like I absolutely do with the u12t. So I guess they are out for me.

The Xelento 2 - and this surprised me based on what I've read, so I feel fortunate that I was able to try them - essentially have the opposite problem. (Again, to me. I totally get that to someone else's ear, on other equipment, it may be a different story. Of course it's subjective and these are all great phones). The treble sounds veiled to me. I felt like I was missing a lot of detail in the treble. Parts of tracks were muted. They reminded me of my Etymotic ER2 ... a very relaxing, pleasant listen, great bass, but missing detail and "roughness". I think I need a BA in the mix, probably. Also, as per our driver flex convo here in the last page or so... yep, I sure heard it. It was happening pretty much every time I moved my head in the right ear specifically, and both ears when I put them in. I could live with it as it wasn't audible at all over the music, and maybe foams would have helped, but still, I wasn't thrilled with it.

The MK3 - nice! Fun! The bass was full, booming, clear, rich. The treble... very clear, a lot of energy in it. Perhaps too much for some tracks? But others, it worked really well and was 'exciting', as they say. And there was no sibilance. The mids were good, kinda overwhelmed sometimes but sounded good and nothing was missing. The MK3 provide a clear contrast to the u12t. I found myself getting into the music and saying "wow" on several tracks and letting them just play, rather than testing. You know what I mean? For me the bottom line is simply, am I enjoying what I'm hearing? And I really was. Good job and follow up by Thieaudio and I may well pick up a pair.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2023 at 12:24 PM Post #2,879 of 2,949
A few different IEMs have gotten a lot of discussion in the last several posts, the Monarch MK2, MK3 and Xelento 2. I just spent a couple of hours comparing them at e-earphone in the hope of narrowing down a contender for a pair to be a counterpart to my u12t. I think I may have found one, but the result really surprised me.

All my listening was done with the Shanling M6U, and through balanced cables.

So... to my ear, the MK3 was the clear winner.

The MK2 are just so raw sounding. They are harsh to me. I was thinking about it... once upon a time I wrote and recorded music. I think it was recorded and mixed it pretty well... but it was never mastered, so it sounded raw and harsh. And I feel like this is what I am getting with the MK2. Technically, everything is there, it's perfect. It's so well tuned. But I can find it almost grating. If I needed to precisely analyze a track to find some sound they'd be a great pair to reach for... but I just don't feel motivated to sit for hours and listen, like I absolutely do with the u12t. So I guess they are out for me.

The Xelento 2 - and this surprised me based on what I've read, so I feel fortunate that I was able to try them - essentially have the opposite problem. (Again, to me. I totally get that to someone else's ear, on other equipment, it may be a different story. Of course it's subjective and these are all great phones). The treble sounds veiled to me. I felt like I was missing a lot of detail in the treble. Parts of tracks were muted. They reminded me of my Etymotic ER2 ... a very relaxing, pleasant listen, great bass, but missing detail and "roughness". I think I need a BA in the mix, probably. Also, as per our driver flex convo here in the last page or so... yep, I sure heard it. It was happening pretty much every time I moved my head in the right ear specifically, and both ears when I put them in. I could live with it as it wasn't audible at all over the music, and maybe foams would have helped, but still, I wasn't thrilled with it.

The MK3 - nice! Fun! The bass was full, booming, clear, rich. The treble... very clear, a lot of energy in it. Perhaps too much for some tracks? But others, it worked really well and was 'exciting', as they say. And there was no sibilance. The mids were good, kinda overwhelmed sometimes but sounded good and nothing was missing. The MK3 provide a clear contrast to the u12t. I found myself getting into the music and saying "wow" on several tracks and letting them just play, rather than testing. You know what I mean? For me the bottom line is simply, am I enjoying what I'm hearing? And I really was. Good job and follow up by Thieaudio and I may well pick up a pair.
I didnt find the Xelentos 2 lacking in detail. They are just smooth like it should be imho. They lack roughness when compared to a bit rough u12t but to me this roughness isnt a detail, its just an unevennes in frequency response. Fortunately this problem is very digestible on the u12t as they are smooth and warm overall and the peaks are very moderate.
But the peak at 5k on the X2 and pressure build will be a no for me unfortunately so need to send them back.

Sep 29, 2023 at 12:49 PM Post #2,880 of 2,949
I didnt find the Xelentos 2 lacking in detail. They are just smooth like it should be imho. They lack roughness when compared to a bit rough u12t but to me this roughness isnt a detail, its just an unevennes in frequency response. Fortunately this problem is very digestible on the u12t as they are smooth and warm overall and the peaks are very moderate.
But the peak at 5k on the X2 and pressure build will be a no for me unfortunately so need to send them back.

For me, they really did lack detail. On certain tracks they just sounded out of whack to me... dull. Too smooth. Unlike anything I've heard other than my single DD Ety ER2 - for me it was just an enahnced version of this. I mean, smooth is nice, but in some music there actually is roughness... in voices, sounds, and I just wasn't hearing it. I do think it's a DD / BA thing. I also prefer the ER4 (which is BA) to the ER2. Anyway what's funny is that although I'm saying that for me the treble was a bit dulled out, I did hear a certain peak occasionally that I found irritating. Not sibilance, something else... I'm not expert enough to identify it, but I wouldn't be surprised if I was picking up your 5k peak.

The form factor is incredible though, so small and light. And the cord was good and comfortable. Great for grab and go, could throw them around a little bit... maybe just pocket them and throw them on while getting on a bike, whatever... wouldn't have to be babied like the much more delicate feeling larger shells and connectors of the u12t and Monarchs.

One other thing about the Xelento - on some tracks I felt like the voice of the singer was like literally in each ear. Not outside in some kind of nice sphere around my head, or a few rows in front of me on a stage, etc..... but rather as if the music was happening right on/in the ears. I can see how some might be into it but I found it almost jarring. Maybe something one could get used to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back