Beyerdynamic Xelento!
Jan 29, 2023 at 2:42 PM Post #2,701 of 2,944
I’ve just had a listen and flipped back and forth a few times - Xelento 2 sounds more full bodied and forward in my test track in terms of piano and strings, whereas IE900 is more airy and spacious and has more precise notes. Xelento 2 somewhat more intimate, IE900 spans a larger field and more resolving. They both sound excellent, and I guess it will come down to a preference in the style of tuning.

My test track, let me know if any other you’d like me to try.

https://tidal.com/track/251352965
Thanks, this is very useful. Could you kindly test both with broad, orchestral tracks? For example Kleiber's Symphony No.5,
https://tidal.com/browse/track/17626400
or Mars and Uranus from this
https://tidal.com/browse/album/4351103

These should give us a good example of both IEM's abilities with orchestral.

Thanks again!

Jan 29, 2023 at 3:39 PM Post #2,702 of 2,944
Thanks, this is very useful. Could you kindly test both with broad, orchestral tracks? For example Kleiber's Symphony No.5,
https://tidal.com/browse/track/17626400
or Mars and Uranus from this
https://tidal.com/browse/album/4351103

These should give us a good example of both IEM's abilities with orchestral.

Thanks again!

I’ve tried Symphony No.5 and they both perform very well, the drivers cope perfectly with crescendos but I’d lean towards IE900 for more resolution and space, not a huge amount but I think again enough for a slightly sharper representation of notes, without becoming harsh. I observe that comparative intimacy on Xelento 2, and I think IE900 also takes the edge in terms of dynamic range.

Hard to know which will be to your preference, but personally I’d choose IE900 based on this testing.

Listening from the iBasso DX320X and Symbio F tips on both for consistency!

22D71A3B-146E-4388-AD59-F6F3311E88A3.jpeg

Jan 29, 2023 at 4:54 PM Post #2,703 of 2,944
Duplicate post removed.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2023 at 5:11 PM Post #2,704 of 2,944
Thanks, all helpful. My preference is for the IE900 kind of sound, as that suits orchestral music better. It would seem that the difference between Xelento v2 and IE 900 is not dissimilar from the one between the V1 and the IE800/S. Sennheiser has worked more on the soundstage, and Xelento on the tone.

Your gear looks great, if only I had the financial ability to match it...

Jan 30, 2023 at 11:10 AM Post #2,705 of 2,944
Hello, I'm new here.
I'm looking for a good IEM to upgrade from IKKO OH10 and stumbled upon XELENTO OG which have bigger, but similar kind of bass.
To show my IEM preference, I also like Blon BL03, tho the bass isn't clean for me.

Currently, I'm torn between Xelento and Variations. Currently leaning toward Xelento more.
(both of them are used and priced 450$-ish)

For you who have tried OH10, which one do you think gonna fit my preference better?

And also, with a bass that big, is it feel muddy/bloated/blurry?
Because I tried to EQ my OH10 as close as Xelento's graph and it does feel muddy.
( I know this is stupid but this is my way to 'demo' if I just can't try them lol)

My fav genre are hiphop/rap (need a good bass) , Anisong (need a bit treble) , orchestra (separation and detail retrieval).

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2023 at 3:49 PM Post #2,706 of 2,944
Hello, I'm new here.
I'm looking for a good IEM to upgrade from IKKO OH10 and stumbled upon XELENTO OG which have bigger, but similar kind of bass.
To show my IEM preference, I also like Blon BL03, tho the bass isn't clean for me.

Currently, I'm torn between Xelento and Variations. Currently leaning toward Xelento more.

For you who have tried OH10, which one do you think gonna fit my preference better?

Because I tried to EQ my OH10 as close as Xelento's graph and it does feel muddy.
( I know this is stupid but this is my way to 'demo' if I just can't try them lol)

My fav genre are hiphop/rap (need a good bass) , Anisong (need a bit treble) , orchestra (separation and detail retrieval).

Thanks in advance.
I would be very wary of used Xelentos because of all the fakes out there.

Jan 31, 2023 at 4:28 PM Post #2,707 of 2,944
Hello, I'm new here.

Thanks in advance.
Im listening my good old Xelentos OG right now (taking a break from a more demanding listening sessions with a sublime Monarch Mk2) and all i can say is that the Xelentos are everything but muddy. They are very clear and clean. The bass is huge indeed but the midrange is well separated. They will be a big step up from the OH10 in technicalities and separation.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2023 at 4:35 PM Post #2,708 of 2,944
Hello, I'm new here.

Thanks in advance.
So I have the OH10, and despite it's lower price, it has been my baseline IEM for about 2 years now. I've bought and sold several more expensive IEMs (see my sig line!) in search of the one that I can live with along with the OH10, so that I can use the OH10 as my "beater" IEM for traveling, sleeping, etc.

Based on several reviews, I recently picked up a used MD Variations and I am really wanting to like it and convince myself I should keep it, BUT it just doesn't quite have the top end response excitement that the OH10 has. The Variations has real clarity all thru the frequency range, but I would like a bit more top end energy, so I add some EQ in PowerAmp on my phone (excellent audio quality player). The OH10 also has a bit wider soundstage, but in a sorta weird semi-reverbish way. Variations is extremely cohesive and coherent in the soundstage -- competent, but everything clearly in its right place (ala, Radiohead!).

The OH10 is a clear V shape sound, which I love. The Variations is a more balanced but revealing IEM compared to the OH10, a good bit more refined, resolving, clear. The bass isn't quite as strong in the 100-200 hz range as the OH10 but has just as much sub-bass rumble and depth, but cleaner and clearer, as the OH10. The Variations leans more toward "reference" with enough fun -- the OH10 is just fun!

The mids on the Variations is better than the OH10, but not in a shouty way (the Fiio FH5/7 are both semi-bloated in the midrange to me). Just very clear.

I can't speak about the Xelento at all.

Hope this helps you!

Feb 1, 2023 at 2:11 PM Post #2,709 of 2,944
I’m in!

Attachments

• 87461B3F-99B6-42F1-AC4E-85B3B3B44BED.jpeg
    87461B3F-99B6-42F1-AC4E-85B3B3B44BED.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Feb 1, 2023 at 2:47 PM Post #2,710 of 2,944
IMHO the first and the sec generation is way overpriced. They play in a 300-500 dol ballpark. They are great overall but honestly, they dont offer anything more than the Variations, Dunu SA6 (not even mention the Ultra version). Seems like people are paing 600 dol for Beyerdynamic logo (well, they dont even have that many great sounding models). Dont want to spoil the party here but the competition is very tough nowadays and most western companies really struggle to provide a good sound/price ratio.
I would say the Xelentos are one of the best up to 450 bucks. Their form factor is great tho. I bought my OG for 650e from Beyerdynamic Outlet and it was a good price 3-4 years ago. Now its too much and the original price is still 1000. Cmon Beyer.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2023 at 2:53 PM Post #2,711 of 2,944
I got 150€ off on a corporate deal and got the second gen for 849€. Thought it was still a solid deal. Have to pay the extra for the gold plated logo and a handmade in Heilbronn, Germany :D It’s rare enough these days :wink:

Feb 1, 2023 at 3:03 PM Post #2,712 of 2,944
I got 150€ off on a corporate deal and got the second gen for 849€. Thought it was still a solid deal. Have to pay the extra for the gold plated logo and a handmade in Heilbronn, Germany :D It’s rare enough these days :wink:
Yeah thats true but most iems in this price range is assambled by hand. Gold plated logo is very cheap in production to be frank. The amount of gold used doesnt cost more than 20e i would bet. 850e is still a better offer than 1k (although overpriced considering sound quality alone). Enjoy your new babies!

Feb 1, 2023 at 3:19 PM Post #2,713 of 2,944
Yeah thats true but most iems in this price range is assambled by hand. Gold plated logo is very cheap in production to be frank. The amount of gold used doesnt cost more than 20e i would bet. 850e is still a better offer than 1k (although overpriced considering sound quality alone). Enjoy your new babies!
Thank you :)

Feb 1, 2023 at 3:37 PM Post #2,714 of 2,944
IMHO the first and the sec generation is way overpriced. They play in a 300-500 dol ballpark. They are great overall but honestly, they dont offer anything more than the Variations, Dunu SA6 (not even mention the Ultra version). Seems like people are paing 600 dol for Beyerdynamic logo (well, they dont even have that many great sounding models). Dont want to spoil the party here but the competition is very tough nowadays and most western companies really struggle to provide a good sound/price ratio.
I would say the Xelentos are one of the best up to 450 bucks. Their form factor is great tho. I bought my OG for 650e from Beyerdynamic Outlet and it was a good price 3-4 years ago. Now its too much and the original price is still 1000. Cmon Beyer.

I disagree, the overall package of Xelento 2 in my opinion exceeds that of DUNU SA6 to use your example, and indeed ZEN PRO (€899) - both of which I’ve owned. There is of course a premium associated with a bigger brand, and one could of course have a much bigger discussion on the general price points of higher end IEMs, but overall, I’d say they are positioned at a logical level relative to competing single DDs.

It yet again depends on what you are looking for - SA6 is a very different proposition to Xelento 2, and indeed some might prefer a more reference tuned all BA set - I found SA6 excellent, and regret not buying the recent Ultra but it’s not apples with apples as a comparison… Xelento 2 sits in a mid-premium segment of the single DD market, and in my opinion makes no sense to compare based on its price point with the SA6.

Feb 1, 2023 at 3:58 PM Post #2,715 of 2,944
I disagree, the overall package of Xelento 2 in my opinion exceeds that of DUNU SA6 to use your example, and indeed ZEN PRO (€899) - both of which I’ve owned. There is of course a premium associated with a bigger brand, and one could of course have a much bigger discussion on the general price points of higher end IEMs, but overall, I’d say they are positioned at a logical level relative to competing single DDs.

It yet again depends on what you are looking for - SA6 is a very different proposition to Xelento 2, and indeed some might prefer a more reference tuned all BA set - I found SA6 excellent, and regret not buying the recent Ultra but it’s not apples with apples as a comparison… Xelento 2 sits in a mid-premium segment of the single DD market, and in my opinion makes no sense to compare based on its price point with the SA6.
Well you place the Xelento in a context of other single DDs which is fair enough. For me personally it doesnt matter which technology has been used. I compare all iems purely on sound quality and what they are able to offer for their price. Xelentos for me offer too little for the asking price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back