Beyerdynamic Xelento!
Apr 3, 2017 at 5:41 PM Post #136 of 2,944
I've heard things about aurisonics. However, I don't know details so I can't say anything about it. What I do know is that they are tuned well, and sound fantastic. As for the fourte, I highly doubt it's a cheap DD given how it sounds. You gotta hear it my Friend :wink: but then again, if anyone can make a 50 cent driver sound tha good, trust me they have my respect.

Too bad the Tia is so incoherent between the dynamic and armatures, that's something I wish you would mention when talking about it. The disparity between the drivers was clearly audible to several NYC Canjam folks I compared notes with.

That's part of the reason single driver, high-end dynamic driver iems will always be of interest to me. Hope to hear the xelento sometime.

Apr 3, 2017 at 8:15 PM Post #137 of 2,944
Too bad the Tia is so incoherent between the dynamic and armatures, that's something I wish you would mention when talking about it. The disparity between the drivers was clearly audible to several NYC Canjam folks I compared notes with.

That's part of the reason single driver, high-end dynamic driver iems will always be of interest to me. Hope to hear the xelento sometime.

One last post about the fourte and let's get back to the xelento, don't wana be the cause of the derailing hehe.

Here's the thing, a lot of guys I know who heard the fourte actually found it to be remarkably coherent, even some other IEM makers I know. We found the crossover to be so well done that we were really impressed by it. That's why I don't talk about because I don't hear it. That said, I respect that it's what you hear, and let's agree to disagree on this. If you would like to follow up on this conversation however I would love to hear your opinions, drop me a PM, or perhaps we could discuss this over at the 64 audio APEX thread! :)

Apr 3, 2017 at 11:11 PM Post #138 of 2,944
I found the 64 Audio hybrid to be a disappointment as well at Canjam NYC, after all the hype. It certainly didn't impress me compared to my own much cheaper Oriolus. I had a chance to try the Xelento at Canjam Singapore, and did most certainly find it very interesting, spent as much time as I could with it :)

I felt it was an improvement over the previous AK / Beyerdynamic collaborations, sounded more precise and impactful across the board, without any weirdness/sibilance etc. Also really love that form factor, it's surprisingly compact when you're wearing it, no Frankenstein bolts here.

The only reason I don't already have one is because it seems the MMCX connector might not work with standard MMCX cables, and I'd need something with a 4.4mm balanced termination. Haven't gone through the whole thread, someone please correct me if I'm mistaken about this.

Still, overall, I'm a fan

Apr 3, 2017 at 11:30 PM Post #139 of 2,944
Did you get to hear the Dream or the vega?

Also, just curious is the xelento chassis plastic or metal? I was extremely disappointed with how the original AK version was plastic, with the demo set at a shop even having a part of the metallic coating worn off to reveal white plastic after a week. Rather disappointing at that.

Apr 3, 2017 at 11:36 PM Post #140 of 2,944

Also, just curious is the xelento chassis plastic or metal? I was extremely disappointed with how the original AK version was plastic, with the demo set at a shop even having a part of the metallic coating worn off to reveal white plastic after a week. Rather disappointing at that.

Not a fan of Dita in general, so didn't bother with their IEMs. I actually went to a demo event where I live which had the entire CA lineup up to the Vega available, with the express intention of getting me a Vega (wanted something new to go along with my Sony NW WM1Z when it first arrived), and ended up leaving empty-handed. Found the Vega bass-heavy, and not coherent across the range, tracks I knew very well sounded off when I auditioned them.

For comparison, I'm also a fan of the Oriolus mk.2, the Ocharaku Aka-models (Zakura and Keyaki), and now the Xelento, for dynamic/hybrid IEMs. Edit: Forgot the old classic, the Sony EX1000, and it's studio sibling, the EX800ST.

Also, the second part about the chassis, it certainly looked and felt like metal, but then I didn't try scraping it to see if it came off 
biggrin.gif

2nd Edit: Anyone know about using third-party cables with the Xelento? It really is the only thing that made me hesitate on getting one, has anyone had luck with this?

Apr 4, 2017 at 12:02 AM Post #141 of 2,944
Not a fan of Dita in general, so didn't bother with their IEMs. I actually went to a demo event where I live which had the entire CA lineup up to the Vega available, with the express intention of getting me a Vega (wanted something new to go along with my Sony NW WM1Z when it first arrived), and ended up leaving empty-handed. Found the Vega bass-heavy, and not coherent across the range, tracks I knew very well sounded off when I auditioned them.

For comparison, I'm also a fan of the Oriolus mk.2, the Ocharaku Aka-models (Zakura and Keyaki), and now the Xelento, for dynamic/hybrid IEMs. Edit: Forgot the old classic, the Sony EX1000, and it's studio sibling, the EX800ST.

Also, the second part about the chassis, it certainly looked and felt like metal, but then I didn't try scraping it to see if it came off :D  

2nd Edit: Anyone know about using third-party cables with the Xelento? It really is the only thing that made me hesitate on getting one, has anyone had luck with this?

I see I can understand why you wouldn't like them. The ex1000 and ocharakus lie on the slightly brighter/more neutral side.

Apr 4, 2017 at 12:05 AM Post #142 of 2,944
I see I can understand why you wouldn't like them. The ex1000 and ocharakus lie on the slightly brighter/more neutral side.

Yes, detail and stage is important. But I also felt the Oriolus has a very good, controlled bass response (unlike the Vega), that's why it was my choice out of these that I enjoyed. The Xelento will likely be my next addition, if I could use it with my 1Z via the balanced output.

Apr 4, 2017 at 12:11 AM Post #143 of 2,944
Yes, detail and stage is important. But I also felt the Oriolus has a very good, controlled bass response (unlike the Vega), that's why it was my choice out of these that I enjoyed. The Xelento will likely be my next addition, if I could use it with my 1Z via the balanced output.

I was actually pretty keen on getting an ocharaku, one of the higher end ones the sakura or the keyaki plus as they're the slightly weightier and smoother ones, but yet with that amazing stage and imaging, but I realised that the second hand sonys could give me that if driven well, at a fraction of the price :)

Apr 4, 2017 at 2:00 AM Post #144 of 2,944
The thing that interests me most about DDs are how they can smoothen themselves quite significantly over time with burn in .

The xelento sure sounds really excellent out of the box , but if anyone has have had them for some time could share their findings , that would be great to hear :p

My unit of Xelento will arrive sometime this week in Singapore , and im shaking in exitement anticipating their arrival !

Apr 4, 2017 at 5:14 AM Post #145 of 2,944
The thing that interests me most about DDs are how they can smoothen themselves quite significantly over time with burn in .

The xelento sure sounds really excellent out of the box , but if anyone has have had them for some time could share their findings , that would be great to hear :p

My unit of Xelento will arrive sometime this week in Singapore , and im shaking in exitement anticipating their arrival !

What will be the primary equipment you will be using with the Xelento? The iDSD Micro? And I'm assuming it will be using the default 3.5mm SE terminated cable?

Apr 4, 2017 at 5:25 AM Post #146 of 2,944
  What will be the primary equipment you will be using with the Xelento? The iDSD Micro? And I'm assuming it will be using the default 3.5mm SE terminated cable?

yep for the mean time ~

Apr 4, 2017 at 7:01 AM Post #148 of 2,944

Also, the second part about the chassis, it certainly looked and felt like metal, but then I didn't try scraping it to see if it came off 
biggrin.gif

The Xelento feels metal, not sure if it's coated, but the agent say it's full metal, and it does have the weight as if it was metal, as for the cable, tried Linum, many Beat Audio, few others customs, I still get drop outs, but Sony works well along with the stock cable.

In early December I will visit Japan, probably pickup or have Final audio to COD a pair of Final Audio Lab II cable to the hotel, I will use this for the Xelento.

Apr 4, 2017 at 10:48 AM Post #149 of 2,944
The Xelento feels metal, not sure if it's coated, but the agent say it's full metal, and it does have the weight as if it was metal, as for the cable, tried Linum, many Beat Audio, few others customs, I still get drop outs, but Sony works well along with the stock cable.

In early December I will visit Japan, probably pickup or have Final audio to COD a pair of Final Audio Lab II cable to the hotel, I will use this for the Xelento.

Xelento gotta be metal considering beyerdynamic produced only metal housings even for their <$200 IEMs like iDX200 iE.

Apr 4, 2017 at 12:15 PM Post #150 of 2,944
Xelento gotta be metal considering beyerdynamic produced only metal housings even for their <$200 IEMs like iDX200 iE.

I sure do hope so, I can't say for sure as I never saw a xelento before, but the original AK T8ie was definitely plastic unless I am much mistaken. As mentioned the shop demo even had a small patch where the metallic coating was worn off exposing white plastic underneath, I was rather horridly disappointed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back