Beyerdynamic Xelento!
Sep 12, 2018 at 3:23 PM Post #1,156 of 2,944
Anybody else having issues with the plug of the microphone cable? LG G7 does not work with this shape at all. Also some connectivity (crackling when moving) issues with Hiby R6 specifically with the microphoned cable.
I will contact support.
Also is there some technical info how sensitive are Xelentos?
16 Ohm and 110 dB/mW. I actually don't use the Xelento microphone cable. I suspect a regular cable (even non-balanced) would solve your issues.
Curious about how the Xelentos would sound via the R6. The R6 has a pretty high output impedance.

Sep 12, 2018 at 4:10 PM Post #1,157 of 2,944
In general it sounds good with Hiby but as I said even with the regular (no mic) I still hear some crackling at the beginning of the track on the right channel and not sure what is the reason. But specifically with Xelento I don't hear improvement over my LG G7. IMO only bigger cans profit from Hiby R6 compared to G7.

Sep 12, 2018 at 4:52 PM Post #1,158 of 2,944
In general it sounds good with Hiby but as I said even with the regular (no mic) I still hear some crackling at the beginning of the track on the right channel and not sure what is the reason. But specifically with Xelento I don't hear improvement over my LG G7. IMO only bigger cans profit from Hiby R6 compared to G7.

Well, the R6's z-out would be a concern to me, but won't be the cause of any crackling. Have you checked/cleaned/filed-down your mmcx plug connectors?

BTW, great post from @money4me247 yesterday! Everybody should read that post at least once before they die: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/beyerdynamic-xelento.827372/page-77#post-14479002

I think it's worth showing those equal-loudness contours from Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equal-loudness_contour

1PNuUhXqC_em56NS4DBrpMrDOP0vZtYgnRGHJZp5kw0FNXWRwAfUe0KSOIIyjxw

As @crinacle points out, the diffuse-field compensation curve doesn't only take into account the ~4 kHz ear canal resonance, it also boosts the low-end. In one sense that's arbitrary, but it also shows there's no one right amount of bass lift because the correction to flat FR depends on your listening volume. Tyll Herstens (ex InnerFidelity, now cruising the world in a converted FedEx truck) also reached the same conclusion as @crinacle, that it was better to look at the raw data. I've not done that simply because I'm so used to reading these graphs with a diffuse-field compensation added, and I'd need to change every measurement plot I've ever created to see the relative comparisons correctly again. And that's the key point - relative comparisons.

At some stage I will revisit the review I wrote on the Xelento and add some additional disclaimers about the measurements. I don't have time to go into all the details now, but items 1-4 below give a (brief) overview of why you should never trust the absolute levels you see on any of these frequency-response graphs:

1) The sound card. All my measurements used a StarTech ICUSBAUDIO2D. It's a good sound card, but its internal electronics roll off around 17 kHz. This requires a separate calibration file via a loopback to generate a perfectly flat FR.

2) The driving DAC/amp. All my headphone measurements driven from REW used a FiiO X7 Mark ii as the DAC/amp. This has a 1.2 Ohm output impedance and the Xelentos are rated at ~16 Ohm, so this ought to be safe, but the X7ii still does have an effect on low-frequency measurements. I used the X7ii because it has a lower z-out than the StarTech card and because it's my main portable player, but it's not as good as my Hugo 2 and in hindsight, it might have been a mistake using it for measurement purposes. However, for consistency, I've stuck with it because, again, I don't want to have to re-do all my measurements. (I know @crinacle has already been through that pain and ordeal once! I'm just not ready for that kind of workload right now.)

3) The Vibro Veritas coupler is a crude representation of an ear canal. It's just a conically-tapering hard plastic cylinder. I find from listening to a frequency sweep that resonance peaks tend to occur at a higher frequency to my ears/brain than those measured on the coupler - by roughly 1 kHz. In all probability, my ear canals are shorter than my coupler. But the coupler is what it is. I can't hacksaw a piece off, because of the conical taper - the IEMs then wouldn't fit. Besides, others may find the opposite effect in terms of frequency shift. Your mileage definitely will vary when comparing measured and perceived FRs.

4) The sensitivity of the microphone in my coupler also starts to roll off around 14 kHz and requires a separate calibration file. The soundcard and mic compensation files together mean that the overall system is less sensitive in reporting deltas in those high-frequency regions. It would be wise to take any of these reported measurements over about 11-12 kHz with a large pinch of salt.

5) Eartips. This is a real dilemma for anybody doing measurements and I'm not sure there is a right answer to this. Some IEMs can only really be used with the OEM's eartips and so the obvious choice is to just use them, e.g., IE800(s). Other IEMs come with a variety of eartips, and then what do we do? Are we going to measure them all? Because the differences can be huge:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/shure-se846-impressions-thread.675219/page-1205#post-13617865

I've always tried to report what eartips I've used, but it might also be worth trying to explain why. Most of the IEMs I've measured used either Cp800 or Cp100 SpinFit tips, because a) These are the tips I use myself most of the time as I know I can always get a good fit and seal with them. b) They're round and easy to create a consistent seal in the coupler which allows a consistent (repeatable) set of measurements each time. Cp100 tips aren't necessarily what fellow Xelento owners will be using. The stock Xelento eartips don't fit nicely in a round coupler and although you can still create a seal with some putty, in my experience that's really difficult to do in a way that guarantees perfectly repeatable measurements each time. However, the small, round Cp100 tips create a better, deeper seal in the ear than the stock Xelento tips which, I concede, may not be what the Xelento designers had in mind. Many IEMs are specifically designed for a fairly shallow seal, and the Xelentos fall into that category.

Just for fun, here are the Xelentos measured again with two changes: Hugo 2 used as a DAC/amp and FLC8 eartips instead of Cp100 SpinFits. The FLC8 eartips are also round, but have a wider bore diameter that boosts the treble, particularly in the ~10 kHz region. I like that effect on some headphones, but I (personally) find the Xelentos already have enough treble with the Cp100 tips and (again, this is just me) I find them too bright with the FLC eartips. The one other change here was to use Comply P-series foam tips on the ER4XR:

H2_Xelento.png

In terms of treble roll-off, you should now conclude that the ER4XR is "intrinsically flawed", right? BTW, I'm joking. I don't suggest anybody take this graph and post it on the ER4 thread with that comment. I guarantee nobody there will appreciate being told the ER4XR is "intrinsically flawed".

Sep 12, 2018 at 7:21 PM Post #1,159 of 2,944
... A lot of great stuff...

AND

In terms of treble roll-off, you should now conclude that the ER4XR is "intrinsically flawed", right? BTW, I'm joking. I don't suggest anybody take this graph and post it on the ER4 thread with that comment. I guarantee nobody there will appreciate being told the ER4XR is "intrinsically flawed".

Which made me almost spit my coffee laughing. Well played, sir.

Seriously, @csglinux and @money4me247 ; you guys have done a superior job explaining this. (golf clap)

Sep 12, 2018 at 7:39 PM Post #1,160 of 2,944
Here is the frequency response measurement of the beyerdynamic Xelento compared to the Astell&Kern AKT8iE (the Xelento's semi-sibling (Fig.1):

beyerdynamic-Xelento-and-Astell&Kern-AKT8iE_FR.jpg

Fig.1 beyerdynamic Xelento frequency response, compared to the Astell&Kern AKT8iE

(By the way, the measurements were made using the medium size Darth-Vader-helmet-looking silicone ear tips.)

As you can see, this is very different from the measurement posted earlier in the thread.*

Here are the THD measurements versus the AKT8iE (Fig.2):

beyerdynamic-Xelento-and-Astell&Kern-AKT8iE_THD.jpg

Fig.2 beyerdynamic Xelento total harmonic distortion (THD), compared to the Astell&Kern AKT8iE

As you can see, the THD is very low for both of these models.

The measurements included in this post were made on the same day using:

* I suspect that the previously posted measurement did not mimic the input and transfer impedance of a human ear with an ear simulator/coupler -- an apparatus that connects the DUT (device under test) to a microphone in such a way that the working load on the DUT is the same as if used on a real ear [1]. Modeling the input impedance of the human ear becomes increasingly important the higher the acoustic output impedance of the DUT [1]. Also, the need for modeling the correct impedance increases with the proximity of the DUT to the ear [2]. It is for these reasons we use ear simulators for measuring headphones.

I should also note that we are currently using a new GRAS High Resolution Ear Simulator (GRAS RA0401), released in 2017, with key improvements versus a standard IEC 60318-4 ear simulator. The standard IEC 60318-4 (former IEC 60711) ear simulator was designed in the early 1980's and mimics the input and transfer impedance of a human ear. While the input impedance was based on measurements on human subjects, the transfer impedance was based on the assumption that the ear canal is a simple cylindrical volume with a hard termination. The new GRAS High Resolution Ear Simulator still complies with the IEC 60318-4 tolerance band (which is specified up to 10 kHz), but with significantly improved performance above 10 kHz. From 10 kHz to 20 kHz the transfer impedance is within +/- 2.2 dB, resulting in much improved repeatability and more realistic THD measurements [3].

We are also using a new, more human-like anthropometric measurement pinna by GRAS. The new pinna is based on 300+ 3D scans of human ear canals, designed to be closer to the human ear, with important changes to the pinna, concha and ear canal (versus previous measurement pinnae). You can see a short video about this here: GRAS Anthropometric Pinna

You can find out more about the measurement lab at Head-Fi HQ at the following link: Head-Fi Audio Measurement Lab

[1] Brüel, P. V., Frederiksen, E., Mathiasen, H., Rasmussen, G., and Sigh, E. (1976). "Investigations of a new insert earphone coupler," Part I in "Impedance of Real and Artificial Ears," Brüel and Kjær report.

[2] Brüel & Kjær, "Measuring Human Audio Perception," presented at the 2018 ALMA International Symposium & Expo (AISE).

[3] Wille, M. (2017). "High Resolution Ear Simulator," GRAS Sound & Vibration white paper.

Sep 12, 2018 at 8:26 PM Post #1,161 of 2,944
Some awesome stuff and posted a graph or two... :)
Jude, I'm always honored when you hop onto a thread I happen to be active in. Thanks so much for the contribution. I'll let the curves you posted (which more closely align with the differences I hear between the A&K and the Xelentos) speak for themselves. I hope I'll get a chance to meet you in Shanghai.

While this hobby is 100% subjective and 84.6% of statistics are BS ... I do feel just a bit redeemed and breathed a sigh of relief that I'm not completely hearing things... :wink:

-Cheers

Edited to add from previous posts... and edited again b/c my editing stinks... Apologies.

@Obscene0324 with the graphs Jude has posted along with below, do you now more fully undersand my perspective re: my impression of the bass between the two IEMs?

What I (and potentially others) are trying to express is that we don't hear only the bass. We (may) all agree that the Xelentos have a dynamic punch to the bass, and that they have more (and different) bass than some other IEMs both with dynamic drivers and w/o. What's odd to me is that your and my comparisons of the MKII and the Xelentos are inverted, specifically as it relates to bass and the balance of the bass against the mids and treble. Actually, it's that point alone that made me want to respond.

I happen to love them both, but bought the Xelentos pretty much for the sole reason that they tame the bass...

- Both have what I'd consider a warm presentation, helped out by the bass presence in both.
- Soundstage - dealer's choice. For some live music, I think the soundstage opens up slightly with the Xelentos. Alison Krauss Live is magic with these. On the test disc, I couldn't reliably tell the difference, but I may try again.
- Bass - The A&K is warmer, and pushes the bass up. The mid-bass on certain tracks with the A&K can be a bit much. If I have music that's more vocal present - for example Norah Jones' Sunrise - the standup bass at the beginning and throughout is a bit distracting and too present to me.

Using the bass test tracks and the drum test tracks along with some of the music I am familiar with... Again, every time, it's the MKIIs that have "more" bass. Again... to my ears and on my rig with identical tips and cable. Specifically, this quick and dirty check was with the iFi IDSD BL (Eco, High Sensitivity, Bit Perfect, + Polarity, XBass and 3D off) from the MacBook Pro => Audirvana with 24/192 local files.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2018 at 8:58 PM Post #1,162 of 2,944
Here is the frequency response measurement of the beyerdynamic Xelento compared to the Astell&Kern AKT8iE (the Xelento's semi-sibling (Fig.1):

Fig.1 beyerdynamic Xelento frequency response, compared to the Astell&Kern AKT8iE

(By the way, the measurements were made using the medium size Darth-Vader-helmet-looking silicone ear tips.)

As you can see, this is quite different than the measurement posted earlier in the thread.*

Here are the THD measurements versus the AKT8iE (Fig.2):

Fig.2 beyerdynamic Xelento total harmonic distortion (THD), compared to the Astell&Kern AKT8iE

As you can see, the THD is very low for both of these models.

The measurements included in this post were made on the same day using:

* I suspect that the previously posted measurement did not mimic the input and transfer impedance of a human ear with an ear simulator/coupler -- an apparatus that connects the DUT (device under test) to a microphone in such a way that the working load on the DUT is the same as if used on a real ear [1]. Modeling the input impedance of the human ear becomes increasingly important the higher the acoustic output impedance of the DUT [1]. Also, the need for modeling the correct impedance increases with the proximity of the DUT to the ear [2]. It is for these reasons we use ear simulators for measuring headphones.

I should also note that we are currently using a new GRAS High Resolution Ear Simulator (GRAS RA0401), released in 2017, with key improvements versus a standard IEC 60318-4 ear simulator. The standard IEC 60318-4 (former IEC 60711) ear simulator was designed in the early 1980's and mimics the input and transfer impedance of a human ear. While the input impedance was based on measurements on human subjects, the transfer impedance was based on the assumption that the ear canal is a simple cylindrical volume with a hard termination. The new GRAS High Resolution Ear Simulator still complies with the IEC 60318-4 tolerance band (which is specified up to 10 kHz), but with significantly improved performance above 10 kHz. From 10 kHz to 20 kHz the transfer impedance is within +/- 2.2 dB, resulting in much improved repeatability and more realistic THD measurements [3].

We are also using a new, more human-like anthropometric measurement pinna by GRAS. The new pinna is based on 300+ 3D scans of human ear canals, designed to be closer to the human ear, with important changes to the pinna, concha and ear canal (versus previous measurement pinnae). You can see a short video about this here: GRAS Anthropometric Pinna

You can find out more about the measurement lab at Head-Fi HQ at the following link: Head-Fi Audio Measurement Lab

[1] Brüel, P. V., Frederiksen, E., Mathiasen, H., Rasmussen, G., and Sigh, E. (1976). "Investigations of a new insert earphone coupler," Part I in "Impedance of Real and Artificial Ears," Brüel and Kjær report.

[2] Brüel & Kjær, "Measuring Human Audio Perception," presented at the 2018 ALMA International Symposium & Expo (AISE).

[3] Wille, M. (2017). "High Resolution Ear Simulator," GRAS Sound & Vibration white paper.

Thanks so much for sharing this Jude. Your comparisons between Xelento and A&K variants do seem to correlate with what *most* people have described.

BTW, just for some more headfi fun, I overlaid your Xelento data (using Xelento stock tips) on mine (using my own DF compensation and FLC eartips):
jude.png

They're clearly very different in the midrange, but I suspect that's more the effect of compensation curves. The peaks and troughs actually align fairly well.
I would love to track down those differences at 4 kHz. PM on its way...

Sep 12, 2018 at 9:09 PM Post #1,163 of 2,944
Thanks so much for sharing this Jude. Your comparisons between Xelento and A&K variants do seem to correlate with what *most* people have described.

BTW, just for some more headfi fun, I overlaid your Xelento data (using Xelento stock tips) on mine (using my own DF compensation and FLC eartips):

They're clearly very different in the midrange, but I suspect that's more the effect of compensation curves. The peaks and troughs actually align fairly well.
I would love to track down those differences at 4 kHz. PM on its way...

You have three things at play here. One is the lack of an inner-ear simulator (IEC60711/60318-4), high frequency resonant dampening (RA0401/02) and the diffuse-field compensation. So you'd need to "reverse" three factors if you want your Veritas measurements to have parity with @jude's (for one IEM).

Sep 12, 2018 at 9:24 PM Post #1,164 of 2,944
You have three things at play here. One is the lack of an inner-ear simulator (IEC60711/60318-4), high frequency resonant dampening (RA0401/02) and the diffuse-field compensation. So you'd need to "reverse" three factors if you want your Veritas measurements to have parity with @jude's (for one IEM).
Thanks buddy. I'm going to try and track this down. I suspect the DFC is the main issue. High-frequency resonant damping sounds like something that could be achieved with a few cents spent on some dampening material, no? Have you looked into the IEC60711/60318-4 devices yourself? Presumably you could also use these on your portable rig?

Sep 12, 2018 at 9:28 PM Post #1,165 of 2,944
Thanks buddy. I'm going to try and track this down. I suspect the DFC is the main issue. High-frequency resonant damping sounds like something that could be achieved with a few cents spent on some dampening material, no? Have you looked into the IEC60711/60318-4 devices yourself? Presumably you could also use these on your portable rig?

I now use a 60318-4 compliant microphone for my database, yes. Haven't looked into any white papers for GRAS' high resolution thingamajigs so I'll leave that question to Jude or anyone closer to the industry.

Sep 12, 2018 at 9:43 PM Post #1,166 of 2,944
The phrasing "intrinsically flawed" may NOT be the best way to say to comment on IEM frequency responses for a number of reasons.
1) everyone's ideal sound signatures is subjective individual preferences.
2) even if the "ideal sound signature" was standardized and an agreed upon goal, it is not always easily apparent where that line will be drawn on an individual's measurement graph, that line will look different on each different measurement rig.
3) everyone gets different fit with IEMs so the measured FR on the graph is not going to be identical to what someone hears when testing via FR sweeps or listening to music.

From my experience playing with measurement gear from IEMs, it is a very eye-opening experience as I saw in person how certain things measured can be applicable to my listened experience and how easily the measurement can be unreliable. The type of seal achieved & the insertion depth of the IEM in the tube would vastly affect the FR graphs I would generate and it is possible to get quite a bit of variability with measurements. Not only is it quite a hassle to get nice reproducible results during different measurement sessions, but I would find that the measurements do not always correspond what I've heard. Numerous explanations due to fit and seal, but there were definitely some measurements that I captured that did not correspond at all to what I would hear during a sweep test.

The other measurement reading error that you would not know unless you have played with measurement gear before is that he is using a Vibro Veritas coupler (it is basically a black tube that you stick the IEM into and place gum around it to make a seal) which is really only accurate to 100Hz to 10kHz. While it may still capture relative peaks & valleys before and after that, the actually dB does not correlate well to the rest of the graph. Also, for the treble region, it is not uncommon to have artificial peaks/valleys that is an artifact from the measurement system which does not actually correlate with you do a listening FR sweep test. I actually have the same measuring set-up at home for IEM testing. So your comment talking about the vast change in dB between 20hz to a random valley in 16kHz does not actually correlate to anything in real life, the measuring coupler is not accurate in either of those FR regions. There is not that kind of perceived change between the overall bass and treble region. When even looking at measurements from more professional gear like by Tyll, you can see on the TOTL flagships over-ears such as the Utopia you can calculate out a 30+ dB sonic difference if taking the highest point in the bass region and comparing it to the lowest peak in the treble region. That is not the right way to read measurements.
Some helpful information regarding reading FR measurements: https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/headphone-measurements-explained-frequency-response-part-one

Measurements are definitely helpful for showing the comparative degree of difference between different IEM models, but it is too extreme of a stance to call a headphone "intrinsically flawed" based purely on FR measurements comparison. Especially when the person who actually took the measurements & did the listening comparisons (@csglinux) had the following the say about the comparison:

While the xelento's are definitely bassier than the ER4XR that does not mean that its sound signature is "intrinsically flawed." Other TOTL IEM with similar degree of change between its overall bass and midrange on measurements include the T8iE, campfire atlas, empire ears legend x, and noble K10. In fact, referencing all of csglinux's comparative measurements, you can see that some good flagship reference points that are praised for realistic overall tonal balance: the electrostatic shure KSE1500 and campfire andromeda is measured to be 8db at 100hz (with zero at 1k). So the xelento being at ~12db at 100hz is definitely not a crazy extreme bass boost as it is a positive 4dB boost from a good flagship reference point. The ER4XR is at ~4dB at 100hz, so that is negative 4dB from those reference points, does that mean that the ER4XR is crazy bass deficit? No, it is not an extreme change, but 3-5dB change is definitely audible. In fact the change between the AKG 701 vs the Massdrop produced K7xx is approximately a 3-5dB bass boost and you can hear the difference in a side-by-side comparison, but in no way does it completely mask out the other frequency responses and cause an "intrinsic deficit."

The Campfire Andromeda is often used as a benchmark for well-balanced sound signature and you can see in his actual comparison graph, there is a overall ~8dB boost in bass from 1k and the graph shows a treble dip to -17dB in the treble region. Just reading the graph, you would assume that they sound like bass monsters with severely hampered treble. But the Andromeda actually sounds like a overall bright pair of headphones. The measurements are an useful analytical tool, but they are not actually 100% reflective of what is heard as based on different compensation curves being applied and the different measurement set-ups. The degree of the peak and valley is not always reflective of what is heard.

Here is the xelento vs andromeda from csglinux's review: https://cdn.head-fi.org/a/9953731.png
And here is an example of how different the FR of the andromeda can look with a different compensation and measurement rig: https://i.imgur.com/2ZeXxyi.jpg
And here is the xelento on that different measurement set-up: https://i.imgur.com/IgbmqE9.jpg
credit to @crinacle for those comparative measurements.

When someone talks about the ideal FR frequency response, automatically the harman target frequency response developed by Sean Olive comes to mind. The experiment is to find what measured FR most closely correlates to what listeners perceive to be tonally flat. So while the ideal loudspeaker curve is either a flat straight line or downsloping straight line depending on who you ask, when you playback that same FR curve through over-ear (supra-aural) headphones vs on-ear headphones vs in-ear monitors, the actually frequency response that our brain perceives is not the same flat line anymore. In fact, the ideal IEM frequency response that they found in 2017 is a 8db increase at 20hz. compared to 1000hz. (source: https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/harman-tweaks-its-headphone-target-response). Now doesn't the Andromeda and KSE1500 FR responses make more sense? A bass-boosted measured frequency response does not necessarily mean that it sounds unrealistic as the IEM format struggles with creating that realistic visceral subwoofer sensation that loudspeakers can create and often requires elevation of the lower frequencies to achieve that perceived effect.

Lastly, when someone talks about FR curves, you need to be familiar with the idea of equal-loudness compensation curves. The concept is that if you were to play a steady tone across the frequency response at a specific set decibel without compensation, we would actually hear it get louder when we approach the midrange. This is due to how our ear autonomy and the sensitivity of our hearing to different frequency responses is variable. So a pure tone played at a constant decibel would actually change in perceived loudness as we move across the frequency response. Humans are naturally more sensitive to the mid-range. The original equal-loudness curves was the Fletcher-Munson curve. It is a compensation curve that shows on average for our hearing to perceive something to be tonally flat there is actually a 50 dB drop moving from 20Hz to 1,000Hz.. But due to individual's having different sensitivities to different regions of the FR, there is individual variation what people can perceive as a flat frequency response without neither person being wrong. There are actually objective reasons for differences in subjective impressions in the world of audio, and I do think it is important to respect that fact.

I am uncertain exact what you are talking regarding only being able to hear a 37dB audible difference, possibly referring to the phenomena of auditory masking(?), but in that case the degree of different between the required loudness of the original signal and masking signal is variable depending on the sounds. A signal that will masking of 37dB of difference in loudness would be quite loud. 30-40dB is the sound of a fan, jumping to 60dB is talking, 110 is loud concert. Even playing music from a loudspeaker at normal listening volumes ~80dB, you can still hear a fan in the background. If there is no background noise (dependent on personal hearing abilities as well), the average person can be reasonable expected to pass a blind test with a 3dB volume difference (you can try the blind test here: https://www.audiocheck.net/blindtests_level.php?lvl=0.5). There are people who claim that they can do better. So the phenomena of auditory masking depends on a variety of factors, but it basically states that if there a specific signal and another background noise at a specific frequency response and certain decibel is added, it has to be a certain degree of decibels relatively louder, the more background noise the louder it have to be with that signal to keep it from being hidden. Aka if your air conditioner is louder than your fan, it is harder to hear it fan, but to mask the fan completely with a different signal, I think the degree of jump required is going to be beyond the scope of variation of dB when listening to a pair of headphones at a safe volume. Even listening to a loudspeaker at average volume ~70 to 90dB, you can still hear quiet background noises. In recorded music, the variation of loudness between sounds is already prefixed, the masked signals already masked, and typically that variation of loudness within a track is much greater degree than the dB difference within the FR response of a headphone.

Of course, there can definitely be such an extremely skewed sound signature to the degree where you have to shake your head wondering what the designers were thinking, but this is not the case in the frequency response measurements of the xelento. Without understanding a lot of complexities behind measurements, we can often make mistaken assumptions regarding headphones. Despite my experience with headphone measurements, I still even make these types of mischaracterizations jumping to a conclusion too quickly based on skimming a FR graph that cause inaccurate expectations prior to doing listening tests. It is important to have some background knowledge regarding the measurement equipment used & limitations, type of compensation used, and what an ideal FR would even look like in that particular measurement system. The last point regarding the ideal FR is often personally extrapolated based on other headphones you've heard that has also been measured in the system so you can judge what degree of correlation the peaks and valleys relate to your personal hearing sensitiveness, but the idea that there is a fixed objective universal ideal neutral FR graph that fits everyone's ears is not realistic as there is individual variables that factor into what is a neutral-sounding headphone FR.

This turned out to be a much longer & more involved post than I was planning, but hopefully, it sheds some light on measurements & why I think that you are making a mistake calling the xelento intrinsically flawed. The xelento's bass response is nowhere near exaggerated to such the levels to cause significant auditory masking.

Thanks for the knowledge on FR curve and equipment measuring. Those are the things that I've never thought a lot about as a simple player. Without a doubt, I've learned more than I've ever anticipated. Again, thank you for the knowledge, and the effort of typing all these texts:thumbsup:

But there is still one point that I would like to... Not say correction, but merely to clarify... As I believe neither of us would like to drag this conversation towards a zero-sum argument.

As by my obvious lack of proper knowledge towards FR curve, which is shown clearly in the previous posts. It is apparent that I did not have much experience, knowledge nor familiarity towards it. I would not, and will never comment upon an earphone that I am not familiar with. All of my comments upon the Xelento and the t8ie mk2 are based solely on my hearing experience, which had nothing to do with any FR curve.

I've only included that curve because it corresponds with what I heard, and seems to be a good supplementary evidence to my standpoint. It is neither where my standpoint erected from, nor the sole support for it. In fact, I've only got to know that particular graph when I was writing that post. I've got it on another random forum, without knowing its actual author.

This reminds me. @csglinux, my apologies for using your work without even crediting it. It was my fault out of carelessness. If you are willing, please forgive me for this part. Also, thanks for both your work and contribution.

Sep 12, 2018 at 10:27 PM Post #1,167 of 2,944
Well, the R6's z-out would be a concern to me, but won't be the cause of any crackling. Have you checked/cleaned/filed-down your mmcx plug connectors?

BTW, great post from @money4me247 yesterday! Everybody should read that post at least once before they die: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/beyerdynamic-xelento.827372/page-77#post-14479002

I think it's worth showing those equal-loudness contours from Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equal-loudness_contour

1PNuUhXqC_em56NS4DBrpMrDOP0vZtYgnRGHJZp5kw0FNXWRwAfUe0KSOIIyjxw

As @crinacle points out, the diffuse-field compensation curve doesn't only take into account the ~4 kHz ear canal resonance, it also boosts the low-end. In one sense that's arbitrary, but it also shows there's no one right amount of bass lift because the correction to flat FR depends on your listening volume. Tyll Herstens (ex InnerFidelity, now cruising the world in a converted FedEx truck) also reached the same conclusion as @crinacle, that it was better to look at the raw data. I've not done that simply because I'm so used to reading these graphs with a diffuse-field compensation added, and I'd need to change every measurement plot I've ever created to see the relative comparisons correctly again. And that's the key point - relative comparisons.

At some stage I will revisit the review I wrote on the Xelento and add some additional disclaimers about the measurements. I don't have time to go into all the details now, but items 1-4 below give a (brief) overview of why you should never trust the absolute levels you see on any of these frequency-response graphs:

1) The sound card. All my measurements used a StarTech ICUSBAUDIO2D. It's a good sound card, but its internal electronics roll off around 17 kHz. This requires a separate calibration file via a loopback to generate a perfectly flat FR.

2) The driving DAC/amp. All my headphone measurements driven from REW used a FiiO X7 Mark ii as the DAC/amp. This has a 1.2 Ohm output impedance and the Xelentos are rated at ~16 Ohm, so this ought to be safe, but the X7ii still does have an effect on low-frequency measurements. I used the X7ii because it has a lower z-out than the StarTech card and because it's my main portable player, but it's not as good as my Hugo 2 and in hindsight, it might have been a mistake using it for measurement purposes. However, for consistency, I've stuck with it because, again, I don't want to have to re-do all my measurements. (I know @crinacle has already been through that pain and ordeal once! I'm just not ready for that kind of workload right now.)

3) The Vibro Veritas coupler is a crude representation of an ear canal. It's just a conically-tapering hard plastic cylinder. I find from listening to a frequency sweep that resonance peaks tend to occur at a higher frequency to my ears/brain than those measured on the coupler - by roughly 1 kHz. In all probability, my ear canals are shorter than my coupler. But the coupler is what it is. I can't hacksaw a piece off, because of the conical taper - the IEMs then wouldn't fit. Besides, others may find the opposite effect in terms of frequency shift. Your mileage definitely will vary when comparing measured and perceived FRs.

4) The sensitivity of the microphone in my coupler also starts to roll off around 14 kHz and requires a separate calibration file. The soundcard and mic compensation files together mean that the overall system is less sensitive in reporting deltas in those high-frequency regions. It would be wise to take any of these reported measurements over about 11-12 kHz with a large pinch of salt.

5) Eartips. This is a real dilemma for anybody doing measurements and I'm not sure there is a right answer to this. Some IEMs can only really be used with the OEM's eartips and so the obvious choice is to just use them, e.g., IE800(s). Other IEMs come with a variety of eartips, and then what do we do? Are we going to measure them all? Because the differences can be huge:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/shure-se846-impressions-thread.675219/page-1205#post-13617865

I've always tried to report what eartips I've used, but it might also be worth trying to explain why. Most of the IEMs I've measured used either Cp800 or Cp100 SpinFit tips, because a) These are the tips I use myself most of the time as I know I can always get a good fit and seal with them. b) They're round and easy to create a consistent seal in the coupler which allows a consistent (repeatable) set of measurements each time. Cp100 tips aren't necessarily what fellow Xelento owners will be using. The stock Xelento eartips don't fit nicely in a round coupler and although you can still create a seal with some putty, in my experience that's really difficult to do in a way that guarantees perfectly repeatable measurements each time. However, the small, round Cp100 tips create a better, deeper seal in the ear than the stock Xelento tips which, I concede, may not be what the Xelento designers had in mind. Many IEMs are specifically designed for a fairly shallow seal, and the Xelentos fall into that category.

Just for fun, here are the Xelentos measured again with two changes: Hugo 2 used as a DAC/amp and FLC8 eartips instead of Cp100 SpinFits. The FLC8 eartips are also round, but have a wider bore diameter that boosts the treble, particularly in the ~10 kHz region. I like that effect on some headphones, but I (personally) find the Xelentos already have enough treble with the Cp100 tips and (again, this is just me) I find them too bright with the FLC eartips. The one other change here was to use Comply P-series foam tips on the ER4XR:

Another apology for my mistake of using your work (the FR curve) without neither having your approval nor citing it.

Besides of that, your comment on er4xr... Though you meant the exact opposite of "intrinsically flawed" regarding the er4xr. But I would say that it is quite close to being "intrinsically flawed"-- it is obsolete. If we count from the original er4's (b, s, p), the er4's have been out there for more than two decades. Combining its age with the fact it has only one BA unit per side, it is only reasonable to conclude that it is obsolete. Both because of the apparent advancements in technology nowadays, and that its sound signature is no longer so unique.

How it is on your FR curve, corresponds with what I heard. The er4xr has not enough treble extension. This should be easy to tell even when compared to xelento. It got its reputation of being a "clear" or "transparent" iem not because exactly how "bright" its treble is, but more likely because it got a much skinnier mid and lighter bass than most, if not all of the other iems by its time.

Sep 13, 2018 at 2:58 AM Post #1,168 of 2,944
I'm oblivious as to which is technically better, however having had the T8ie mkii for a few months, and having compared to the Xelento, for me personally, I prefer the AK... No right or wrong, just differing opinions.

Sep 13, 2018 at 3:59 AM Post #1,169 of 2,944
I'm oblivious as to which is technically better, however having had the T8ie mkii for a few months, and having compared to the Xelento, for me personally, I prefer the AK... No right or wrong, just differing opinions.
:) :) :) :)

+1 with an amen! I wish I could like twice. Everyone likes different stuff!

For me the A&Ks are an absolute blast with EDM and Rap / R&B etc. Admittedly, I still don't know what the heck "dub step" is though.

Separately.... Since you've only had them for a few months - if you haven't already, try them with a movie. They can give a movie from a not-so-great source a bit of oomph in the bass. I know most of us talk about music reproduction, but there's something to be said for an IEM that has great versatility and can "go low" with sound effects.

[Edited for clarity and brevity... ramble]

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2018 at 10:34 AM Post #1,170 of 2,944
Another apology for my mistake of using your work (the FR curve) without neither having your approval nor citing it.

Besides of that, your comment on er4xr... Though you meant the exact opposite of "intrinsically flawed" regarding the er4xr. But I would say that it is quite close to being "intrinsically flawed"-- it is obsolete. If we count from the original er4's (b, s, p), the er4's have been out there for more than two decades. Combining its age with the fact it has only one BA unit per side, it is only reasonable to conclude that it is obsolete. Both because of the apparent advancements in technology nowadays, and that its sound signature is no longer so unique.

How it is on your FR curve, corresponds with what I heard. The er4xr has not enough treble extension. This should be easy to tell even when compared to xelento. It got its reputation of being a "clear" or "transparent" iem not because exactly how "bright" its treble is, but more likely because it got a much skinnier mid and lighter bass than most, if not all of the other iems by its time.

ER4 thread still going strong! I’ve let go of a lot of IEMs and the ER4SR still survives. The XR had to go though. The bass boost was too much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back