Beyerdynamic TYGR 300R
Apr 25, 2022 at 10:18 PM Post #91 of 107
I almost didn't buy these thinking that they were gaming headphones. But I did some research and the reviewers I seem to align with and trust recommended them.... So, I'm just blown away by the Timbre, the sound stage, and the great FR. For my ears, they make happy!

Leo

Apr 26, 2022 at 5:14 AM Post #92 of 107
I'm just blown away by the Timbre, the sound stage, and the great FR
Sounds exactly like a headphone you'd want to use for gaming, if you ask me. How are they not a headphone for gaming..? "Open-Back Gaming Headphones"

Apr 26, 2022 at 7:59 AM Post #93 of 107
I almost didn't buy these thinking that they were gaming headphones. But I did some research and the reviewers I seem to align with and trust recommended them.... So, I'm just blown away by the Timbre, the sound stage, and the great FR. For my ears, they make happy!

Leo
Most "gaming" headphones looks so damn hideous, such an abomination. I'll never understand why most kids and kids in adult body are so excited about them. Alieny, spaceship, starfighter, avenger bs and all. Even Sennheisers gaming headphones are an abomination. Beyerdynamic did it right you'll never guess they are advertised as gaming headphones and yet the design is so slick, nothing screaming for attention, design is so subtle. I was like you at first, almost didn't buy them because of that but the Tygr doesn't have any "gamery" look.

Not only the sound is great, the comfort is top notch! The earpads are so silky smooth, they look so sheer too :3

Apr 27, 2022 at 7:58 PM Post #94 of 107
Most "gaming" headphones looks so damn hideous, such an abomination. I'll never understand why most kids and kids in adult body are so excited about them. Alieny, spaceship, starfighter, avenger bs and all. Even Sennheisers gaming headphones are an abomination. Beyerdynamic did it right you'll never guess they are advertised as gaming headphones and yet the design is so slick, nothing screaming for attention, design is so subtle. I was like you at first, almost didn't buy them because of that but the Tygr doesn't have any "gamery" look.

Not only the sound is great, the comfort is top notch! The earpads are so silky smooth, they look so sheer too :3
I have to agree. I nearly did not buy them because they were positioned as gaming headphones (which I must admit to sharing a predisposition against due to the impression gaming headphones are not serious headphones for music) but I saw some reviews that praised them for music. I am glad I looked beyond the advertising.

Apr 28, 2022 at 12:21 PM Post #95 of 107
I have to agree. I nearly did not buy them because they were positioned as gaming headphones (which I must admit to sharing a predisposition against due to the impression gaming headphones are not serious headphones for music) but I saw some reviews that praised them for music. I am glad I looked beyond the advertising.
Yeah, indeed. Gaming headphones simply can't be taken seriously and they simply look very ugly. When my family come to see us, or anyone else, I don't want them be like "What is he? Still a child?:unamused:"

Look at this beauty with its sheer earpads:
Ytm37lV.jpg

They are indeed very good for music too and also for movies/series, not just for gaming. To be honest, they have intrigued me a long time but that's maybe because of the DT880. And not only because of the DT880, it's also because I know Beyerdynamic makes great headphones so I didn't doubt once.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2022 at 11:16 AM Post #97 of 107
Gentlemen, is it true that these are basically gamer-ified DT990s? Because I have the DT990 250Ohm, I like them but they lack in booming bass and have a sharp treble, two issues that are apparently "fixed" with the TYGR. I was about to buy the TYGR300 on Beyer's website, but then I discovered that the TYGR are nothing more than the 32Ohm DT990 with a different foam disc and slightly different housing. I heard that many people are using the TYGR foam disc (Amiron Foam Disc on Beyer's website) with the DT1990 or other DT headphones to reduce the treble peak and give them a bass boost. Anyone tried it with the DT990, will they become similar or identical to the TYGR with the foam discs?

The foam discs are 8€ each on beyer's website, with free shipping in europe.

Sep 30, 2022 at 11:53 AM Post #98 of 107
Eventually I decided to buy the foam discs AND the tygers. If anyone cares, the foam discs don't do much on the 990s, a small difference but still a small improvement,
treble spikes get tamed a bit by using the amiron foam discs, but honestly I can barely hear the difference in most tracks.

But the tygers, oh man, what a sound! Much stronger bass, the strongest I've ever heard from open-back headphones, overall they sound a bit darker compared to the 990s. I still like the 990s but I just can't get enough of the bass from the tygr. My most extreme genres ranging from industrial hardcore to obscure doujin stuff sounds much "better" on the tygr, and by that I mean that to me it sounds more right, because there probably isn't any "better" or worse for this type of music that is 100% computer generated and extremely distorted to begin with.

Other than that, the tygr seem more comfortable than the 990s, especially the headband, the earpads are a bit deeper too (probably because my 990s deflated as I've used them for a couple of years now).

Nov 2, 2022 at 11:14 AM Post #101 of 107
Just got a pair of these, on the Topping A90 and Sabaj A20d DAC they sound excellent. I have most of the Beyerdynamic line here as well. Much less fatiguing than the DT990 250 ohm, smoother in the treble than the DT770 250 ohm. It's similar to the DT880 250 ohm black edition but the bass is tighter and not boomy. I have two T90's and it's most similar to them but with a 1-2db reduction in the treble. If you have a hard time finding a T90, this is really close and equal in the fun factor. I have the DT880 250 and 600 ohm and I like them just as much for the smoothness of the 600ohm but much easier to drive. I'm at 3 oclock in mid gain on the A90 for fun volume levels with a balanced DAC so they're no pushovers. Put these on a JDS Atom+ stack and I think most people would be so happy with it. Music and gaming are both great. Instead of just gaming they should have mentioned how well rounded they are, for a person who just wants on pair of do everything headphones. Glad it doesn't have a microphone like the MMX300 I used to have, game chat is too annoying. Just keep a desk mic for raids when it's required.

Jun 19, 2023 at 11:15 PM Post #102 of 107
Just got a pair of these, on the Topping A90 and Sabaj A20d DAC they sound excellent. I have most of the Beyerdynamic line here as well. Much less fatiguing than the DT990 250 ohm, smoother in the treble than the DT770 250 ohm. It's similar to the DT880 250 ohm black edition but the bass is tighter and not boomy. I have two T90's and it's most similar to them but with a 1-2db reduction in the treble. If you have a hard time finding a T90, this is really close and equal in the fun factor. I have the DT880 250 and 600 ohm and I like them just as much for the smoothness of the 600ohm but much easier to drive. I'm at 3 oclock in mid gain on the A90 for fun volume levels with a balanced DAC so they're no pushovers. Put these on a JDS Atom+ stack and I think most people would be so happy with it. Music and gaming are both great. Instead of just gaming they should have mentioned how well rounded they are, for a person who just wants on pair of do everything headphones. Glad it doesn't have a microphone like the MMX300 I used to have, game chat is too annoying. Just keep a desk mic for raids when it's required.
Have you tried the HD560s? How do they compare?

Jun 28, 2023 at 6:00 AM Post #103 of 107

have you compared them to a T5?

Jun 28, 2023 at 9:10 AM Post #104 of 107
Gentlemen, is it true that these are basically gamer-ified DT990s? Because I have the DT990 250Ohm, I like them but they lack in booming bass and have a sharp treble, two issues that are apparently "fixed" with the TYGR. I was about to buy the TYGR300 on Beyer's website, but then I discovered that the TYGR are nothing more than the 32Ohm DT990 with a different foam disc and slightly different housing. I heard that many people are using the TYGR foam disc (Amiron Foam Disc on Beyer's website) with the DT1990 or other DT headphones to reduce the treble peak and give them a bass boost. Anyone tried it with the DT990, will they become similar or identical to the TYGR with the foam discs?

The foam discs are 8€ each on beyer's website, with free shipping in europe.
i might try the TYGR foam disc in the DT1990 pro, but as it is the 1990 is pretty good, especially with the cable change.

Mar 8, 2024 at 12:51 AM Post #105 of 107
Has anyone by chance gotten close to the Harman curve with the Dekoni Elite Hybrid pads and TYGR 300R? I feel like I'm somewhat close. I have good ears and tried to A/B between stock pads with Oratory's EQ and the Elite Hybrids with my own EQ. I had to really drop the high bass/low mids. Bass in general is so bloated. I feel like 1-2KHz needed a bit of a boost. 2-3KHz I have no idea, it's hard for me to tell if there is too much ear gain. 4KHz needed a boost I felt. 5Khz was way too bright. I can literally hear artifacts if I don't lower it enough. 6Khz I also felt was too bright, but only a little bit. 8Khz a little too bright, but not too sibilant, thankfully. Everything beyond that was a bit too sparkly for my tastes, especially 16Khz.

I don't use any special methods to EQ and I can provide my parametric EQ if others wish to try and maybe improve themselves, which would be really cool. I just use my ears and songs I am familiar with. I love these headphones. People say the Elite Hybrids cause a more intimate soundstage, and Idk, maybe I'm not really sensitive to soundstage. I still feel like there is plenty of distance with the soundstage. Maybe it's less narrow, not sure. The comfort is to die for though, that's for sure! My ears aren't nearly as hot with these pads as they were with the Brainwavz Round Sheepskin XL ones I tried.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back