Beyerdynamic Tesla T1 Review and Pictures (56K Warning)
Jul 31, 2010 at 6:18 PM Post #46 of 67

Quote:
Have you heard the RS2? Or are graphs enough to make a point these days?

I don't care for graphs. I can't read them, and even if I could, I don't trust them. My ears tell me what I hear, and I'm fortunate enough to have access to lots of phones, and plenty of amps.

Even from day one, the RS2 have never 'fizzed' like the T1 did. I'm not bashing Beyer, I have two. Nor the headphone, it's technically impressive. To me, it's overly sharp, unlike any phone I've heard, but I listen to mainly rock and others might find it a different beast with different music.

Like I said, just one reason, I'm never going to get into high end headphones.

Did you get bitten by a Tiger Snake or what ?    It is YOU who seems overly defensive. Take a chill pill and relax.

Jul 31, 2010 at 6:44 PM Post #47 of 67
Regarding the earlier comment about comfort, I find the T1s much more comfortable after using them for a few months.  I agree 6/10 at first.  After a few months of earpiece break-in, I give them 7.5 or 8/10 for comfort.

Jul 31, 2010 at 9:44 PM Post #48 of 67

Quote:

Well Mate ... As someone who has owned his own High End Audios store, and probably 50 different CD players, I can absolutely GUARANTEE you the Cambridge is a lacking and lean CDP.... Sorry, but regardless of my opinion of the T1, that CDP simply is not accurate or realistic sounding.

You're welcome to your opinion on the CDP, but I much don't care how good or bad its deemed to be. It's been my stable reference for everything I've auditioned in the store. Whether its' 'good' enough for someone else, is entirely irrelevant, as it's not going to change my opinion on the headphone, high end gear in general, or the ones I've bought because of it.

This is a thread for opinions. I gave mine. I'm sure lots of people like and buy the T1, bit that doesn't mean everyone has to read from the same book. Others may well be interested in opions from the other side.

As to guys posting graphs, apparently to point out my ears are 'wrong', is just arrogant, and I responded accordingly. I'm not being overly defensive about anything, what a weird thing to suggest.

Jul 31, 2010 at 11:30 PM Post #49 of 67

Quote:

You're welcome to your opinion on the CDP, but I much don't care how good or bad its deemed to be. It's been my stable reference for everything I've auditioned in the store. Whether its' 'good' enough for someone else, is entirely irrelevant, as it's not going to change my opinion on the headphone, high end gear in general, or the ones I've bought because of it.

This is a thread for opinions. I gave mine. I'm sure lots of people like and buy the T1, bit that doesn't mean everyone has to read from the same book. Others may well be interested in opions from the other side.

As to guys posting graphs, apparently to point out my ears are 'wrong', is just arrogant, and I responded accordingly. I'm not being overly defensive about anything, what a weird thing to suggest.

No problem man ..... but I think you could be missing a vital thing :

Just food for thought .... So your in store reference is the same CDP all along, and you have not noticed it being overly thin and bright before now ..... But just MAYBE, the T1 you are listening to is waaaay more revealing to what is upstream ????   And now it shows up the weakness of your reference CDP  ?   

Not that you will ever like the T1 of course, because that is your opinion for sure ..... but I have found the T1 to be one of the most revealing playback systems to what is upstream, that I have ever heard.  Maybe that is what is happening ?

Regardless, keep the torch burning over the land down under !  Cheers

Aug 1, 2010 at 1:45 AM Post #50 of 67

Quote:
Just food for thought .... So your in store reference is the same CDP all along, and you have not noticed it being overly thin and bright before now ..... But just MAYBE, the T1 you are listening to is waaaay more revealing to what is upstream ????   And now it shows up the weakness of your reference CDP  ?   

Not that you will ever like the T1 of course, because that is your opinion for sure ..... but I have found the T1 to be one of the most revealing playback systems to what is upstream, that I have ever heard.  Maybe that is what is happening ?

Definitely true. One of the main differences I've noticed with the T1 as opposed to my other headphones is that it is very revealing of a bad recording. It also doesn't take well to being plugged into an inferior source, like my laptop.

Also, update posted.

Aug 1, 2010 at 9:07 AM Post #52 of 67

Quote:
No problem man ..... but I think you could be missing a vital thing :

Regardless, keep the torch burning over the land down under !  Cheers

I guess this could be possible. Although I have heard a few high end models from it and none responded in such a way as far as treble goes.

But the point is a fair one, and really just reinforces why high end phones are not for me. I don't want to hear every flaw of my music in neon detail - it's a source I can't control, so that's pretty much why I'm camped at the mid range of products.

Aug 1, 2010 at 11:38 AM Post #53 of 67

Quote:
I guess this could be possible. Although I have heard a few high end models from it and none responded in such a way as far as treble goes.

But the point is a fair one, and really just reinforces why high end phones are not for me. I don't want to hear every flaw of my music in neon detail - it's a source I can't control, so that's pretty much why I'm camped at the mid range of products.

It's a smart man indeed that can know what he wants, AND be happy with it !  Especially if it also saves him some money ! 
wink_face.gif

Aug 1, 2010 at 9:09 PM Post #54 of 67

Quote:
It's a smart man indeed that can know what he wants, AND be happy with it !  Especially if it also saves him some money ! 
wink_face.gif

Believe me, having Australia's only headphone store down the road, doesn't make me particularly smart, but has let me hear what money buys at different price points for different gear.

But I'm going to bust my own self-enforced budget on an amp, as I'm pretty impressed by the Meier Concerto, and it'll be the last piece of kit for me for a long time. Although, I've heard many amps the last 2 years, so I count myself lucky to be able to make considered purchases, and don't have to do what so many here do - go on opinion's and buy, sell, buy.

Aug 1, 2010 at 9:36 PM Post #55 of 67

Quote:

Believe me, having Australia's only headphone store down the road, doesn't make me particularly smart, but has let me hear what money buys at different price points for different gear.

But I'm going to bust my own self-enforced budget on an amp, as I'm pretty impressed by the Meier Concerto, and it'll be the last piece of kit for me for a long time. Although, I've heard many amps the last 2 years, so I count myself lucky to be able to make considered purchases, and don't have to do what so many here do - go on opinion's and buy, sell, buy.

I think you will be VERY happy with the Concerto though !  It is a nice piece.

Aug 2, 2010 at 6:28 PM Post #56 of 67
Update posted. If it bothers me enough, I'll eventually replace the ear pad composite with a slightly better isolated one, probably on a white background. This one was quick, however.

Aug 9, 2010 at 4:43 PM Post #57 of 67

Quote:

I gave the T1 a listen at Headphonic in Aus yesterday. With the Meier Concerto and a CA 840c CDP.

This only confirmed for me that I'm not ever going to love high end audio. I like a bit of colour in my sound, and make fairly considered trade offs in quality over presentation. I want good quality, but also fun and involving sound.

The T1 delivered excellence and quality, but no fun for me. A very open sound, but too removed, too wide a sound stage, in that I was too many rows back, although the clarity was excellent. Unbelievably fizzy top end though, that even the Concerto couldn't tame (and I found this a really nice, warm amp), I'd hate to think how peaky this phone would be with something like the Burson HA160, which I found to be the brightest amp I've heard. It doesn't really matter what else I might pair these phones with, their sound just isn't going to engage me.

For those that want technical excellence and superb clarity, these are probably really nice phones, good looking, well built with good materials etc. While I'm a Beyer fan and have two of their mid range phones, this sort of rare air just isn't my cup of tea. Like anything high end, it's simply more able to find flaws elsewhere, notably with the variable we can't control, and that's the quality of the music we buy.

Too wide soundstage?

Tizzy top end?

Doesn't sound like a T1... to my ears, the T1 has a narrow and deep soundstage like a inverted 'U' and sweet, yet rolled off treble.

In many ways, the T1 sounds like a heavily refined pair of Shure IEMs.

Aug 9, 2010 at 5:28 PM Post #58 of 67

Quote:
bhanja_trinanjan said:

Doesn't sound like a T1... to my ears, the T1 has a narrow and deep soundstage like a inverted 'U' and sweet, yet rolled off treble.

Well, a tizzy top end is usually caused by rolled off treble.

Aug 9, 2010 at 5:45 PM Post #59 of 67
The T1 sounds best with a tube amp. I have both the Matrix and Decware amps. It is at another level when I use my Decware amp. I find tremendous detail with a wide and deep sound stage. It is also nice with the SS Matrix but netter with tubes by a wide margin IMO

Aug 9, 2010 at 5:49 PM Post #60 of 67

Quote:

Too wide soundstage?

Tizzy top end?

In many ways, the T1 sounds like a heavily refined pair of Shure IEMs.

LOL .... The soundstage on my pair of T1s is EXTREMELY wide.  But then again, the Blue Circle SBH amp probably helps in that regard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back