Beyerdynamic T90 vs DT880
Aug 16, 2013 at 8:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Sonido

1000+ Head-Fier
Anyone heard both and know how they compare? Is the T90 a major upgrade from DT880? Interested since T90 is only open headphones in T series other than T1, which is semi-open. It's $500 on amazon right now, only $200 more than the DT880.

http://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-Tesla-Audiophile-High-Headphone/dp/B00890YNBK/

Edit: price just went up as I posted this haha. The question remains though, how does the two compare?

Aug 17, 2013 at 8:26 AM Post #2 of 17
I just got a pair of T90s, coming from dt880s. I find them to be a great upgrade. There's more treble and the bass has more impact and fuller sounding. Imaging is a huge jump up, so is clarity and soundstage. I got mine brand new from razordogaudio via ebay. I made an offer of 500 and was accepted in minutes. My new faves. Prior headphone exp is in my profile for reference.

Aug 17, 2013 at 4:35 PM Post #3 of 17
Nice. One thing I have against the dt880 is the much more narrow soundstage and poor imaging especially compared to my hd700. I've read the T90 to be comparable with the hd700 with one winning in some areas and the other in other areas. This is great because I've been looking for a pair of headphones on the same level as my hd700 that I can use at work without dropping another $1000. I've ordered the T90 at that $500 price since I'm still in the return window with the dt880.

One other question. How is the sound leakage on low to medium volume? It's it about the same as the dt880? The leakage on the dt880 is a tolerable level at work. I know my hd700 are like speakers and didn't work well for work.

Aug 17, 2013 at 9:16 PM Post #4 of 17
The soundstage is actually average/slightly above average in the mid tier category but yea, doesn't hold a candle when you compare to the next level of hps. Even though they're fully open, they leak about the same.

Dec 8, 2013 at 6:19 PM Post #7 of 17
I got it for $500. It's definitely above average for that price. Still I have found better price to sound quality headphones since. For example the HE-500 I got for $550. I think the T90 it's best for rock music due to its narrower soundstage compared to other open cans. It gives a sense of listen in a studio environment. Be aware that the treble is very hot on these so if you're annoyed by treble, these are not the cans for you. More recently I got the Koss ESP950 for $600 which includes an amp. To me it's better than the T90, especially in treble. Electrostatic treble is just so crisp and clean with unmatched detail due to the speed. However it's weak in bass. Right now I rank both sound quality and value of my headphones as the following: HE-500 > ESP950 > T90.

Dec 8, 2013 at 6:41 PM Post #8 of 17
I got it for $500. It's definitely above average for that price. Still I have found better price to sound quality headphones since. For example the HE-500 I got for $550. I think the T90 it's best for rock music due to its narrower soundstage compared to other open cans. It gives a sense of listen in a studio environment. Be aware that the treble is very hot on these so if you're annoyed by treble, these are not the cans for you. More recently I got the Koss ESP950 for $600 which includes an amp. To me it's better than the T90, especially in treble. Electrostatic treble is just so crisp and clean with unmatched detail due to the speed. However it's weak in bass. Right now I rank both sound quality and value of my headphones as the following: HE-500 > ESP950 > T90.

Is the sound stage and the bass of the T90 worst than the DT 990 Premium 250 ohm? I know the HE-500 is a lot better but it's just too big on the head and it looks ugly.

Dec 8, 2013 at 6:56 PM Post #9 of 17
Bass is not at all bad on the T90. It's not known for bass, but it's not lacking either. I briefly had the DT 990 Pro and I don't render the soundstage, but I would guess it's at least at the level of the T90 or better. Really I have the impression that the T90 has the smallest soundstage of open headphones I've tried. It's not all bad because this small soundstage works well with rock music. I do know the T90 is better than the DT990 in details for sure. I saw that the T90 is $480 on Amazon right now and that's a great price. Really the only reason you should not get the T90 is if you've not a fan of hot treble. That's a bigger concern even more than the smaller soundstage.

Dec 8, 2013 at 7:23 PM Post #10 of 17
Well I mostly listen to trance, dance, hip hop, rock music and playing MMO / FPS games.  I was gonna get the DT 990 Premium 250ohm but if this T90 is better, then I'll get it over the DT 990

Dec 9, 2013 at 11:06 AM Post #12 of 17
The T90 pads are deeper and a bit firmer. They'll keep the drivers from your ears more so than the 880s. They're both really comfortable to me but I do find that I need to take the 880s off more often. I think it's cause they get a little warmer due to the closeness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back