Beyerdynamic T90 and Hifiman He-400 — is there something in between?
Oct 24, 2013 at 3:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Pe8er

Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

I've been exploring an upgrade from my Grados Rs2i — I'm looking for a fuller sound, i.e. with more bass and slightly less bright. Plus I'd like more dynamics, a deeper punch. I've been listening to T90 and He-400 for the past week. They both are a definite improvement over Rs2i according to my ears, but I feel like I could use some advice. T90 are amazing in terms of detail retrieval, they're just as analytical as you can get. But it does hurt some music genres (think not-necessarily-well-recorded 80s/90s metal and industrial) and the bass isn't as deep as I would like it to be. On the other hand, HE-400 has superb bass, in many situations sounds is wonderfully "meaty", but the overall darker sound signature is too far from RS2i's or T90's clarity. I feel like I'm missing out on details and I definitely don't like the subtle veil. It also seems that some areas of upper mids / lower highs are being reproduced in a strange, artificial manner.

So, the question is — is there something in-between? I really want a fun, musical, punchy, exciting and full-sounding headphone. With noticeable treble and powerful bass. Perhaps modding HE-400 (pads, cable etc.) would help? Or should I consider HE-500 (although they have less bass)?

A few other models I tried: Sennheiser HD650 and HD800 — not my cup of tea. Beyerdynamics DT990 — not enough resolution. AKG 702 — too neutral, not exciting enough. Grado PS1000 — I'm not sure if the quality jump from RS2i is worth the money.

Budget: doesn't matter at this point, but please don't suggest headphones just because "expensive sounds better".
Source: iTunes > lossless files > Nuforce Icon HDP.
Type: open, full sized around ears
Tonal balance: punchy, deep, powerful bass + balanced mids + noticeable trebles. Something between T90 and HE-400.
Current Headphones: Grado RS2i
Music Preferences: industrial, progressive rock, thrash and progressive metal, EDM, break core, ambient. Some of my favorite music on Spotify.

Thanks in advance!

Oct 24, 2013 at 3:21 PM Post #2 of 5
On the T90 thread, someone mentioned that they were using the pleather pads from the HE-400 on the T90s and got better sub and mid bass response so give that a try maybe.

Nov 2, 2013 at 9:36 AM Post #4 of 5
Hi,

I am also currently deciding between these two as I want an open HP & unfortunately have no means of auditioning them where i live. So please do post what you decide & why.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/688118/open-hp-recommendations-please-4-500-range-good-bass-slam-not-dark-anti-hd650

Could you also post some comments on HD 650 vs HE 400, as you have heard both.

Thanks

Nov 7, 2013 at 7:49 PM Post #5 of 5
Well...I returned them both and got myself Beyerdynamic T1. He-400 were imbalanced and chaotic, not refined at all. T90 were closer to my idea of perfect, but still a little dry. And T1...well, these I find absolutely perfect :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back