Beyerdynamic T5 (3rd Generation)
Nov 20, 2020 at 9:34 AM Post #196 of 729
Hmm, I find it interesting that the reviewer described the T5 as having a "pleasing tonal neutrality". Whether you like the headphone, or not, is a preference that is seeped entirely in subjectivity; however, I'd hesitate to describe the T5 (3rd Generation) as being anywhere close to tonally neutral.

I've had another round with the Beyerdynamic a few days ago, and this time, I made sure to play around with fit and comfort, in an effort to ameliorate the effects of that huge mid-bass hump. Sadly, any attempts to reduce the clamp force would (obviously) result in an unwanted loss in isolation.

With that being said, the T5 (3rd Generation) is still a good headphone, and one that I'd happily consider as an addition to the collection. However, it requires a neutral or bright source to balance its inherent characteristics. I've tried it with several sources now, and it sounds best with a Chord Hugo 2 or a Chord Hugo TT2.
Was just on my way to pick them up at the post office. Now I'm in no rush..

Nov 20, 2020 at 3:08 PM Post #197 of 729
Was just on my way to pick them up at the post office. Now I'm in no rush..
Let us know what you think of them. :)

Personally, I don't regard the T5 (3rd Gen) as bad per se, but its innate characteristics require a certain degree of tolerance to enjoy. Thankfully, I am a basshead at heart, so I have a preference for headphones (and IEMs) with a heavier bass presence.

Incidentally, what source will you be using the T5 (3rd Gen) with?

Nov 20, 2020 at 4:32 PM Post #198 of 729
Let us know what you think of them. :)

Personally, I don't regard the T5 (3rd Gen) as bad per se, but its innate characteristics require a certain degree of tolerance to enjoy. Thankfully, I am a basshead at heart, so I have a preference for headphones (and IEMs) with a heavier bass presence.

Incidentally, what source will you be using the T5 (3rd Gen) with?
Beyerdynamics are usually responsive to pad swapping. I wonder if the T5(3rd) will follow suit. On the older DT531/831 and 880, one set of pads would be bassy and the other bass light. And the funny thing is, they looked the same, maybe a difference in color.

I will be using them at home with an amp, probably the Sparko'd Ray Samuels Emmeline, or the Rupert Neve. Also have the Burson Fun.

Seems odd anticipating a bassy Beyer. Kind of like imagining a bass-lite Beats.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2020 at 2:35 PM Post #199 of 729
For those looking for a good pair up with the T5.3, I would highly recommend trying out the iFi iDSD Signature. The combo definitely reminds you that you are still listening to a Beyer headphone. It also has adjustable digital filters that can bring you closer to that sharp top end of earlier generations if you want.

Dec 18, 2020 at 2:27 PM Post #200 of 729
Just purchased these. My third pair of closed-backs, first pair over $200. Shopping for closed-backs is hard. Seems like there's always someone that hates all the recommended headphones for one reason or another. All of the high-tier headphones I've been considering all dip the high end. Maybe there's something in it for closed-backs.

Also bought some K812s and what I hope will be a good enough amp to drive it (Mayflower Objective2 ODAC Rev B.). Problem is, I have thin walls and can't really listen to open-backs without feeling self-conscious.

Dec 18, 2020 at 2:44 PM Post #201 of 729
Just purchased these. My third pair of closed-backs, first pair over $200. Shopping for closed-backs is hard. Seems like there's always someone that hates all the recommended headphones for one reason or another. All of the high-tier headphones I've been considering all dip the high end. Maybe there's something in it for closed-backs.

Also bought some K812s and what I hope will be a good enough amp to drive it (Mayflower Objective2 ODAC Rev B.). Problem is, I have thin walls and can't really listen to open-backs without feeling self-conscious.

You're right, for each and every model there's someone who hates it passionately... making decisions solely by postings (or, even worse, by reviews) is really hard. Enjoy your new toy! And don't forget about the music...

Dec 19, 2020 at 9:12 PM Post #202 of 729
First impressions (after a few hours) are that I'm surprised at the definition of the high end after reading all the posts I could about the headphones. Just listened to Patti Smith-"Birdland" from "Horses" on the Beyers and was thinking I'm grateful her voice is only as sibilant as it was. Really enjoy the sound. Although I am turning the volume way up to get the high-end at the level I think I want it. My ears seem a little shell-shocked, but only slightly more than with my previous closed-backs.

My background is being a bedroom producer with $100 open-back cans (AKS MKii) and some AKG monitors for a few years while in business school. Also just been casually using HD 280s (horrible head grip, ok sound) and K553 MKII closed-backs (no complaints). Overall, I'm blown away by what $1k gives you. My impression probably doesn't mean much, since these are the first serious cans I've bought, and I'm excited to try out the AH-D9200 as the last headphones I purchase for a while. Although, 1700 is a little steep for me, atm, after having also just purchased some AKG 812s (that i'm waiting for an amp to listen to). Will need to wait a few months.

I am very happy with what I'm hearing. It's really incredible how I can pick out details, compared to what I'm used to. Also incredible how certain bands have just become way more interesting (Yes band has some impressive instrument placement and are just so much more interesting to listen to now. I was actually disappointed in listening to my favorite album of all time, Autolux's Future Perfect, and realizing their sound isn't nearly as interesting, spatially, or dynamically, as some other bands I'm listening to seriously for the first time)

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2020 at 9:43 AM Post #203 of 729

Closed-backs are typically treated as the lesser sibling of the open-back, with "poorer" technicalities and a less open stage. Nevertheless, it has its inherent advantages; for anyone searching for a robust and thoroughly engaging basshead presentation, the closed cans are usually the better choice in that regard.

With that being said, the new T5 has a polarizing sound, within the referential frame of the classic audiophile, IMO. However, for fans of a liquid, textured signature, the revised T5 does actually sound pretty decent. The bass on the T5 (3rd Gen) is potent, with a vigorous boost that helps create impactful lows.

In any case, what truly matters is whether you enjoy your headphone, so in that regard, the T5 appears to have fulfilled its objective. :)

Dec 21, 2020 at 12:42 AM Post #204 of 729
Would it be a bad idea to get these headphones if I want to use them for commuting in cold weather? Are these better suited for home or indoor use?

Dec 21, 2020 at 9:20 AM Post #205 of 729
Closed-backs are typically treated as the lesser sibling of the open-back, with "poorer" technicalities and a less open stage. Nevertheless, it has its inherent advantages; for anyone searching for a robust and thoroughly engaging basshead presentation, the closed cans are usually the better choice in that regard.

With that being said, the new T5 has a polarizing sound, within the referential frame of the classic audiophile, IMO. However, for fans of a liquid, textured signature, the revised T5 does actually sound pretty decent. The bass on the T5 (3rd Gen) is potent, with a vigorous boost that helps create impactful lows.

In any case, what truly matters is whether you enjoy your headphone, so in that regard, the T5 appears to have fulfilled its objective. :)
I took the pads off and back on a couple of times and the bass seems to be less intrusive.

Dec 21, 2020 at 10:37 AM Post #206 of 729
Would it be a bad idea to get these headphones if I want to use them for commuting in cold weather? Are these better suited for home or indoor use?
They are decent at isolation. Plus, the T5 (3rd Gen) isn't that big for a full-sized can, and can be easily driven with a DAP. Hence, they can perform adequately well as a commuting headphone.

Although, if you're asking if they can double as a pair of ear muffs, I'll have to defer to the opinions of users living in cold climates. :wink:

Dec 21, 2020 at 10:41 AM Post #207 of 729
I took the pads off and back on a couple of times and the bass seems to be less intrusive.
Sorry, you mean you just took the pads on and off a couple of times? Was there an inadvertent change to the internals, say a piece of foam that has been moved, or something?

In any case, anyone looking to buy a T5 (3rd Gen) after auditioning one should be fans of its bass response (read: bassheads), so their (stock) performance in the low-end region should be satisfactory, if not great. :)

Dec 21, 2020 at 10:42 AM Post #208 of 729
They are decent at isolation. Plus, the T5 (3rd Gen) isn't that big for a full-sized can, and can be easily driven with a DAP. Hence, they can perform adequately well as a commuting headphone.

Although, if you're asking if they can double as a pair of ear muffs, I'll have to defer to the opinions of users living in cold climates. :wink:
Would you say that headphones at this price point are worth it even if my music collection is almost completely 320kbps MP3?

Dec 21, 2020 at 10:48 AM Post #209 of 729
Would you say that headphones at this price point are worth it even if my music collection is almost completely 320kbps MP3?
In my experience, a well-encoded 320 kbps MP3 file is nearly indistinguishable from a lossless format, such as WAV or FLAC. I have tried blind tests in my attempts to distinguish the 2, and I haven't been very successful. Hence, you don't have to worry about your source files (if they are mostly 320 kbps MP3).

With that being said, the answer is, yes, the headphones are worth it.

The only major consideration, IMO, is whether the sound signature is your preferred cup of tea. The T5 (3rd Generation) is not a balanced headphone; it is darker, has an elevated bass end, and sounds thicker and lusher than most top-end headphones north of $1,000 on the market.

Dec 21, 2020 at 11:21 AM Post #210 of 729
In my experience, a well-encoded 320 kbps MP3 file is nearly indistinguishable from a lossless format, such as WAV or FLAC. I have tried blind tests in my attempts to distinguish the 2, and I haven't been very successful. Hence, you don't have to worry about your source files (if they are mostly 320 kbps MP3).

With that being said, the answer is, yes, the headphones are worth it.

The only major consideration, IMO, is whether the sound signature is your preferred cup of tea. The T5 (3rd Generation) is not a balanced headphone; it is darker, has an elevated bass end, and sounds thicker and lusher than most top-end headphones north of $1,000 on the market.
What I’ve gathered from reviews (as few as there are) is what you said about the headphones having some extra bass, but that they aren’t bass cannons.
Ideally, I should try any headphone I’m interested in, but even if Covid weren’t a factor, I don’t live anywhere near a dedicated headphone store.
I don’t recall if you own this pair, but would you say it’s a kind of bass boost that the Etymotic ER4XR has? Or more?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back