Beyerdynamic T5 (3rd Generation)
Dec 21, 2020 at 12:17 PM Post #211 of 765
Sorry, you mean you just took the pads on and off a couple of times? Was there an inadvertent change to the internals, say a piece of foam that has been moved, or something?
I don't think so. I think it's just not quite as tight a seal after doing this and perhaps the bass 'breathes' a bit better?

Dec 21, 2020 at 3:56 PM Post #212 of 765
What I’ve gathered from reviews (as few as there are) is what you said about the headphones having some extra bass, but that they aren’t bass cannons.
Ideally, I should try any headphone I’m interested in, but even if Covid weren’t a factor, I don’t live anywhere near a dedicated headphone store.
I don’t recall if you own this pair, but would you say it’s a kind of bass boost that the Etymotic ER4XR has? Or more?
Well, they are heavy on the bass, but they aren't pure bass cannons, at least within my perspective. Bass-averse individuals might easily characterize the T5 (3rd Generation) as a bass monster, though.

No, I do not own the revised T5, but I have auditioned it on numerous occasions. In fact, I am thinking of getting one for Christmas (I don't celebrate the holidays, but what the heck).

Relative to the ER4XR, the Beyerdynamic has a huge mid-bass hump leading to an extended sub-bass shelf. If you're expecting a bass presentation similar to the Etymotic, boy, you'll be in for a shock. The T5 (3rd Gen) is not only boosted in the bass, but it is also treble-shy, and has a fuller, weightier sound; the tonality on both headphones are quite disparate.

Dec 21, 2020 at 9:48 PM Post #213 of 765
Well, they are heavy on the bass, but they aren't pure bass cannons, at least within my perspective. Bass-averse individuals might easily characterize the T5 (3rd Generation) as a bass monster, though.

No, I do not own the revised T5, but I have auditioned it on numerous occasions. In fact, I am thinking of getting one for Christmas (I don't celebrate the holidays, but what the heck).

Relative to the ER4XR, the Beyerdynamic has a huge mid-bass hump leading to an extended sub-bass shelf. If you're expecting a bass presentation similar to the Etymotic, boy, you'll be in for a shock. The T5 (3rd Gen) is not only boosted in the bass, but it is also treble-shy, and has a fuller, weightier sound; the tonality on both headphones are quite disparate.
Well, so much for that. Thank you for your replies!

Dec 22, 2020 at 8:29 AM Post #214 of 765

Totally agree! From a long time of using DT-1770Pro for the office and ER4XR on the go, there is much less adjusting between their two signatures than from DT1770 and ER4XR to T5.3. T5.3 is very different and darker sounding than both. I think it would be difficult to enjoy both ER4XR and T5.3 if you plan to switch between the two. ER4XR will sound thin and lifeless or the T5.3 will sound very dark and muddy until you adjust to one of those signatures.

Dec 22, 2020 at 3:26 PM Post #215 of 765
Totally agree! From a long time of using DT-1770Pro for the office and ER4XR on the go, there is much less adjusting between their two signatures than from DT1770 and ER4XR to T5.3. T5.3 is very different and darker sounding than both. I think it would be difficult to enjoy both ER4XR and T5.3 if you plan to switch between the two. ER4XR will sound thin and lifeless or the T5.3 will sound very dark and muddy until you adjust to one of those signatures.
You're right on the money. :)

For me, a lot of "brain burn-in" is required to enjoy products of widely-differing signatures. Case-in-point - the ER4XR and the T5 (3rd Gen) are wholly different in identity, you'd think that one of them was flawed if you're approaching it for the first time after having spent an extended period with the other.

Dec 22, 2020 at 11:47 PM Post #216 of 765
You're right on the money. :)

For me, a lot of "brain burn-in" is required to enjoy products of widely-differing signatures. Case-in-point - the ER4XR and the T5 (3rd Gen) are wholly different in identity, you'd think that one of them was flawed if you're approaching it for the first time after having spent an extended period with the other.

That is something I've been experiencing as of late. I use the 4XR at work to listen to music or lectures. In my company-provided housing, I have the Solo3 which sat idle for some time - and only recently have I picked them up again. It's been interesting going back and forth between the two throughout the week.

At home proper, I have the HD598. If I can get on a plane and go home for vacation, I will be swapping between that and the 4XR. I'm looking forward to that one if it ever happens.

Dec 23, 2020 at 2:42 PM Post #217 of 765
That is something I've been experiencing as of late. I use the 4XR at work to listen to music or lectures. In my company-provided housing, I have the Solo3 which sat idle for some time - and only recently have I picked them up again. It's been interesting going back and forth between the two throughout the week.

At home proper, I have the HD598. If I can get on a plane and go home for vacation, I will be swapping between that and the 4XR. I'm looking forward to that one if it ever happens.
I have a Cascade sitting on my desk at the moment - imagine the "brain burn-in" required to acclimatize to its signature after listening to something more balanced for an extended period of time (e.g. Denon AH-D9200, Focal Elegia). :wink:

Dec 23, 2020 at 10:14 PM Post #218 of 765
I have a Cascade sitting on my desk at the moment - imagine the "brain burn-in" required to acclimatize to its signature after listening to something more balanced for an extended period of time (e.g. Denon AH-D9200, Focal Elegia). :wink:
I've been noticing that when I put on the Solo3, I go into the EQ and increase the treble a bit. In iTunes, among the presets, there's a treble booster preset and a bass reducer preset. I've gone back and forth between the two, and came to realize that I much prefer the treble booster - it seems to give some extra air and lifts a veil, for lack of a better term. I'm noting that I'm leaning farther from basshead territory.

Dec 27, 2020 at 11:15 PM Post #220 of 765
hi guys, just bought the t5 3rd, i'm looking for a dac to drive them, any suggestions?
Two questions: What is your budget? Is the DAC separate from or combined with a headphone amplifier?

Dec 27, 2020 at 11:32 PM Post #221 of 765
Two questions: What is your budget? Is the DAC separate from or combined with a headphone amplifier?

now i have an astro a40 tr dac (for my astro a 40 gaming headset) and i have a scrap nobsound amp bought at amazon for about 50 dollars.
i listen to the music from my pc (amazon music hd). my budget, for now, is lower as possible, but i can try to do my best to buy a good product (easy to manage)

Dec 28, 2020 at 11:33 AM Post #223 of 765
now i have an astro a40 tr dac (for my astro a 40 gaming headset) and i have a scrap nobsound amp bought at amazon for about 50 dollars.
i listen to the music from my pc (amazon music hd). my budget, for now, is lower as possible, but i can try to do my best to buy a good product (easy to manage)
The T5 (3rd Generation) is relatively easy to drive, so you don't require a powerful amplifier. With that said, a good amplifier (and DAC) will elevate your listening experience to the next level; plus, it gives you plenty of headroom to grow. There are many decent DAC and amplifier combinations on the contemporary market - a pair worthy of your consideration is the Schiit Modi 3+ and Magni 3+ ($200 total).

Dec 28, 2020 at 11:40 AM Post #224 of 765
The T5 (3rd Generation) is relatively easy to drive, so you don't require a powerful amplifier. With that said, a good amplifier (and DAC) will elevate your listening experience to the next level; plus, it gives you plenty of headroom to grow. There are many decent DAC and amplifier combinations on the contemporary market - a pair worthy of your consideration is the Schiit Modi 3+ and Magni 3+ ($200 total).
thank u very much, i put amplifier between pc and dac with aux cable? or pc-dac-amp? sorry but it's first time for me? can u suggest me a good cables?
and if it possible some alternatives if i can't find them in italy

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back