Beyerdynamic T5 (3rd Generation)
Feb 14, 2021 at 9:12 AM Post #241 of 765
I have compared the T5 (3rd Generation) and its predecessor, the T5p (2nd Generation) here.

They differ fundamentally in signature. Where one is more "v-shaped", the other is darker, with a stronger bass region.
Ouch, the reduced soundstage is what worries me now. The bass and other stuff you mentioned probably suits my preferences but I might drop it too. Not worth the upgrade.

Feb 14, 2021 at 12:41 PM Post #242 of 765
Ouch, the reduced soundstage is what worries me now. The bass and other stuff you mentioned probably suits my preferences but I might drop it too. Not worth the upgrade.

I think both the T1.3 and T5.3 are totally worth the upgrade FWIW. More pleasurable experience and improved transparency overall.

Feb 14, 2021 at 1:01 PM Post #243 of 765
I love the T5 3s, could have returned them, but they are a seductive pair, soundstage is actually good and despite treble EQed down i find them airy and wide. The only problem with them is for people that find the earcups small.
Stellar set otherwise, enjoyment is massive

Feb 14, 2021 at 1:09 PM Post #245 of 765
Do you think the T5.3 is worth getting if you already have and love the T1.3?

If you need a closed-back headphone for isolation and want a more portable T1.3...I think so. :)

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2021 at 2:36 PM Post #246 of 765
I'm not a stickler for huge staging in my headphones, so the reduced soundstage on the T5 (3rd Gen) vis-à-vis the T5p (2nd Gen) isn't much of an issue (on a personal level). In fact, I actually prefer the revised model over its predecessor - the enhanced bass and a lusher sound with some silky overtones are a good blend, IMO. Of course, if you actually prefer the sharper attack and greater energy of the older T5p, the new kid on the block might disappoint.

For what it's worth, the T5 (3rd Gen) has been hovering at or near the top of my "To Buy" list since its introduction. :)

Feb 14, 2021 at 3:15 PM Post #247 of 765
I'm not a stickler for huge staging in my headphones, so the reduced soundstage on the T5 (3rd Gen) vis-à-vis the T5p (2nd Gen) isn't much of an issue (on a personal level). In fact, I actually prefer the revised model over its predecessor - the enhanced bass and a lusher sound with some silky overtones are a good blend, IMO. Of course, if you actually prefer the sharper attack and greater energy of the older T5p, the new kid on the block might disappoint.

For what it's worth, the T5 (3rd Gen) has been hovering at or near the top of my "To Buy" list since its introduction. :)
Yeah, the enhanced bass and a lusher sound is what interests me. And does your T5p.2 really had sibilance? The highs are silky to me, no issue at all. Maybe you had a broken unit?

Feb 14, 2021 at 3:54 PM Post #248 of 765
if you don't switch a lot between different headphones your brain gets used to the sound it is hearing. It can even go as far as making it sound neutral and natural. Once you start swapping between headphones you tend to note the differences a lot. Happy with the T5p.2? Is the "upgrace" worth the price? But what if you do hear the T5.3 and then swap back after a few days to the T5p.2 and they have become unlistenable due to a sound signature you were so used to and loved?

Feb 14, 2021 at 5:07 PM Post #249 of 765
if you don't switch a lot between different headphones your brain gets used to the sound it is hearing. It can even go as far as making it sound neutral and natural. Once you start swapping between headphones you tend to note the differences a lot. Happy with the T5p.2? Is the "upgrace" worth the price? But what if you do hear the T5.3 and then swap back after a few days to the T5p.2 and they have become unlistenable due to a sound signature you were so used to and loved?
Yeah, I switch a lot between different headphones lately and that's why it's nice to have many :p And I pick depending on my mood and which content I'll be listening, watching and or playing. The other factor is, I've come to my common sense and it's not like I throw money away like it's nothing. The upgrade has to be really worth it. The T5.3 is on my list so maybe in future? The design is a bit the same too as the 2nd gen. There are other headphones I'd like to get too but currently the list is put on pause.

Feb 14, 2021 at 5:31 PM Post #250 of 765
I think I'm definitely a fan of angled drivers. I liked Sony's CD3000 back in the day. I have the T5s on my main set up, and I've been using the 177x/1770 on my secondary setup. Switching between them is a bit more jarring that I anticipated. I'm a big fan of 1770s, but they've been sounding a bit off to me after listening mainly to the T5s.

Feb 15, 2021 at 11:15 AM Post #251 of 765
Yeah, the enhanced bass and a lusher sound is what interests me. And does your T5p.2 really had sibilance? The highs are silky to me, no issue at all. Maybe you had a broken unit?
I've tried the T5p (2nd Gen) on several occasions prior to my purchase; all of the auditioned units, including my own, had a similar signature - "v-shaped" with enhanced bass, and an even more prominent treble section. At (the worst of) times, the T5p (2nd Gen) was prone to sibilance. I'm not a huge fan of bright highs, so I could be more sensitive or susceptible to its effects. With that being said, this headphone is very pad and/or seal dependent - if I increase the clamp force, resulting in a stronger grip, the brilliance of its highs are tamed a little; conversely, the lows become tighter, and are a little better defined.

Feb 15, 2021 at 11:27 AM Post #252 of 765
I've tried the T5p (2nd Gen) on several occasions prior to my purchase; all of the auditioned units, including my own, had a similar signature - "v-shaped" with enhanced bass, and an even more prominent treble section. At (the worst of) times, the T5p (2nd Gen) was prone to sibilance. I'm not a huge fan of bright highs, so I could be more sensitive or susceptible to its effects. With that being said, this headphone is very pad and/or seal dependent - if I increase the clamp force, resulting in a stronger grip, the brilliance of its highs are tamed a little; conversely, the lows become tighter, and are a little better defined.
Yeah, I'm suprised about that. I'm sensitive to sibilance too and so far only my Amirom Home has it but I force myself to tolerate and with success. The cinematic bass from the Amiron Home is what makes me love it. If the T5.3 has the bass extensions of the Amiron Home with slightly upped treble, then I'm in!

I noticed the soundstage of the T5p.2 depends on the how the pads are set on the ears. I had them set on my ears and soundstage was narrowed. Once I put them propely over my ears, it has gotten wider.

Feb 16, 2021 at 7:45 AM Post #253 of 765
Yeah, I'm suprised about that. I'm sensitive to sibilance too and so far only my Amirom Home has it but I force myself to tolerate and with success. The cinematic bass from the Amiron Home is what makes me love it. If the T5.3 has the bass extensions of the Amiron Home with slightly upped treble, then I'm in!

I noticed the soundstage of the T5p.2 depends on the how the pads are set on the ears. I had them set on my ears and soundstage was narrowed. Once I put them propely over my ears, it has gotten wider.
Yes, across the myriad headphones that I own and have auditioned (at length), the T5p (2nd Gen) is the one that's most readily affected by fit and/or positioning. It was quite finicky in that sense. When it was positioned well, it sounded great, though.

Mar 3, 2021 at 10:22 AM Post #254 of 765
Yes, across the myriad headphones that I own and have auditioned (at length), the T5p (2nd Gen) is the one that's most readily affected by fit and/or positioning. It was quite finicky in that sense. When it was positioned well, it sounded great, though.

Thanks for pointing this out. I'm surprised this hasn't received much mention in the T5p G2 thread.

I picked up a pair yesterday and thought I was crazy, because they sounded different every other time I put them on. I went through the entire G2 thread, and found only one reference to the fit-dependent nature of the sound.

At worst, they sounded thick, dark, stuffy, crammed, with overpowering bass. I think I've more or less dialled the fit in right now, and they're so much more spacious and open sounding, with proper treble presence, and just lightly elevated bass.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2021 at 11:06 AM Post #255 of 765
Thanks for pointing this out. I'm surprised this hasn't received much mention in the T5p G2 thread.

I picked up a pair yesterday and thought I was crazy, because they sounded different every other time I put them on. I went through the entire G2 thread, and found only one reference to the fit-dependent nature of the sound.

At worst, they sounded thick, dark, stuffy, crammed, with overpowering bass. I think I've more or less dialled the fit in right now, and they're so much more spacious and open sounding, with proper treble presence, and just lightly elevated bass.
Exactly! I was putting the earpads right on my ears to 'block noise" but I found the soundstage to be crammed a lot. So I kinda was playing and trying if I can extend the comfort and then indeed, much more spacious when putting them over my ears. Not only that, I did that too with my Amiron Wireless and boy, I love them!

I guess Beyerdynamics high-end headphones are pretty underrated?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back