Beyerdynamic T5 (3rd Generation)
Oct 7, 2020 at 1:16 AM Post #167 of 764
All the pictures which are showing the drivers mounted without the black plastic washers, are actually T5p 1st generation.
The picture which is showing the drivers mounted with the black plastic washers, a rubber bumper at the edge of the drivers, a sonic damper in the inserted in the middle, is T5p 2nd generation (or 3rd generation).

Beyerdynamics remove the "ribs" on the driver baffle frame from the 2nd generation, making the frame less stiff and the resonance frequency lower.

Thanks for that clarification. So, by that it seems that we can conclude that the only inner change of the dampening of the driver is happening in the middle plastic washer.

Oct 7, 2020 at 11:24 PM Post #168 of 764
Thanks for all the impressions, guys. I have come close a couple times impulse buying these. I haven't had a pair of Beyers (of any flavor) on my head in almost 5 years now. I did have the T1 1st gen for a short time, but can barely remember, and can not articulate, what they sounded like. Plus I actually had a nice desktop setup back then.

I am non-TOTL DAP these days, which is the biggest reason (after the $1000 cost to play, not even counting aftermarket 3.5mm single-ended and 4.4mm balanced cables I would want) I have not pulled the trigger. I am doubting my portable fetish is the proper way to power these, even at 32 ohm. For now I'll continue to live vicariously through y'all. Maybe if these can be had at reduced prices in about a year I'll take another serious look, hahahaha.

Oct 7, 2020 at 11:36 PM Post #169 of 764
Are we still able to use general dual 3.5mm cables with these (like the T5 2nd), or do these have a proprietary connection method.. Lock and twist, etc?

I just got a custom cable for the T5.3 and it is the same as T5P.2. Yes, it is a standard 3.5mm plug, but the sockets are recessed so you need specific plugs that will fit so make sure your cable maker has experience with this. Most generic 3.5mm plugs won't fit.

Oct 8, 2020 at 12:02 AM Post #170 of 764
I just got a custom cable for the T5.3 and it is the same as T5P.2. Yes, it is a standard 3.5mm plug, but the sockets are recessed so you need specific plugs that will fit so make sure your cable maker has experience with this. Most generic 3.5mm plugs won't fit.
I was wondering this as well, so thank you.

Oct 8, 2020 at 2:54 AM Post #171 of 764
So I probably can't use the balanced 99 Classics cable with them, due to the recessed sockets? This cable works with the gen 2.

Oct 9, 2020 at 4:13 AM Post #173 of 764
What are the true differences between BTR5 and BTR3K? I'd like to get one of them so I can use the A.Home and T x.x wireless when needed.
Wow, sorry I missed answering this, well they are similar in so many ways - it's power and the XUS208 on the BTR5 - which sounds bad for the BTR3k but no it's actually good as somethings the XUS208 won't interface with like the Nintendo Switch and PS4 - the BTR3k works great with those - I've got a Gulikit dedicated for my Switch dock, but I've also used the BTR3k mobile with the Switch.

Of course power is the main difference - the BTR5 will drive 3.5mm much harder than the BTR3k so for heavy duty 250ohm - 600 ohm headphones you'll be maxed out on the BTR3k but still have headroom on the BTR5.

The BTR5 is small, but the BTR3k is tiny - and both are the same form factor - both with clear plastic shirt clips - both have leather cases available from DD and FiiO.- both leather cases slip when hot and ride up and down on the wires :)

Speaking of wires the BTR5 has 3.5mm and 2.5mm (balanced) ports out the top and the USB-C out into the bottom, while the BTR3k is reversed - headphone cables out the bottom with USB-C into the top.

I haven't tried the 600ohm Beyerdynamics 3.5mm on the BTR5/BTR3k, but soon :)

Here's some hopefully enlightening images:
Spec differences between the BTR5 and BTR3k
Tech_c68468d0-5b69-4bf0-9fe4-d40ac822bf1e_1024x1024.jpg

BTR5 / BTR3k side by side
2_b84c7b48-e559-4dd4-b61d-96ea0675c70c_1024x1024.jpg

3_329d326a-f50f-4686-9fee-86679d63dda6_1024x1024.jpg

BTR5 points of interest
btr5 points of interest.JPG
BTR3k bottom headphone ports
btr3k 3.5mm.JPG
BTR5 hooked up to my DT880 250 ohm
DT880__BTR5_at_H_Gain_60_Volume.jpg
btr5 3.5mm.JPG
BTR5 built-in microphone.JPG
FiiO BTR5 case
btr5 FiiO Case.JPG

BTR5 case by DD
DD btr5 case.JPG

BTR3k + Leather Case by DD
BTR3k + Leather case.png
Rare Skyblue BTR5 - there's a magnesium one out there now too...Black and White(?)
https://www.hifi.blog/fiio-btr5-skyblue-special-edition-of-the-portable-bluetooth-amplifier/
BTR5 + Case.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2020 at 7:30 AM Post #175 of 764
Hi guys, the cable for the t5 3rd gen should be the same as the one for 2nd gen? I’m looking for a balanced cable for 3rd gen but I could only find one for the 2nd gen. Thanks :)

Oct 18, 2020 at 9:19 PM Post #177 of 764
Ending comments - I've been listening with my new balanced cable and yes, it does sound better - extension, separation, soundstage. However that's has more to do with my sources which are all optimized for the balanced output. If you have a great single ended source, it will sound great.

Last comments and impressions for the T5 Gen 3 are my criticisms:
  • It's still a closed back headphone. There is a reason why there are so many more options for open back headphones at the high end versus closed back. If you have a listening environment that works for open back, that will give you the best listening experience with the bonus of much better dollar to performance ratio. Please, no asking for comparisons of the T5 to open backs like my Utopias.
  • Being closed back, I do hear some unwanted low frequency resonances in the T5 that overshadows the lowest sub bass frequencies. The only closed back headphone that seemed to eliminate this was the HD820 with that crazy concave glass back and resonance ejection ports. However, at that point you have to ask, why even try to be a closed back when the sound isolation is not that much better than open? At least T5 does a good job of keeping external noises muted and contain sound bleed.
  • As some have said, the ear pads look big from the outside but are pretty thick inside so there is much less space to fit ears completely inside the pads. Fortunately, my own ears just clear, but I think a decent number of folks will find some of their ear lobe getting pinched by the pads. The T5P Gen 1 has much thinner pads in this regard.
  • Included cable - as I mentioned before, it's a flat cable that has horrible ergonomics because it loops and is pretty stiff. Cable upgrade is highly recommended so factor that into cost.
  • 32 ohm input impedance - probably not an issue for most, but many high powered desktop amps have pretty high output impedance as high as 10 ohms. The max output impedance you would want for T5 is 4 ohms or less. Most TOTL headphones have impedances 100+ ohms.
  • I can't complete this sentence - "the T5 Gen 3 has the best xxxxxxx I've heard from a headphone".
Taking my criticisms together with my earlier impressions, I think most folks who try the T5 Gen 3 (assuming proper fit) will find it to be a good to great closed back option. For T5 to be a "great" option for you, it would mean the following:
  • You understand the limitations for closed back, but need the sound isolation.
  • You are looking for an organic, natural tone that favors an emotional listening experience versus analytical.
  • You want lightweight and comfort - with the caveat that your ears fit inside the pads.
  • You want to use both portable and lower power desktop amps, all with low output impedances.
  • You have a grand to spend LOL

I just got these headphones, what balanced cable do you recommend. Also, do you think the chord mojo would make any difference?

Oct 18, 2020 at 9:50 PM Post #178 of 764
I just got these headphones, what balanced cable do you recommend. Also, do you think the chord mojo would make any difference?

Any cable that is compatible with Gen 2 is fine. Those are specifically designed to fit in the recessed sockets. I like the included cables a lot, but hate the ergonomics. If you like the stock cable too, then go for a silver plated OCC copper wire. I got a custom cable from Triton - https://tritonaudiocables.com

I think Mojo would sound great and you wouldn't need a balanced cable. Chord tends to be neutral/analytical with Mojo being slightly on the warmer side. Definitely has plenty of power for the T5 Gen 3.

Nov 12, 2020 at 6:21 AM Post #180 of 764
Im considering one of these as my daily use set for edm and metal. Would they be good for that? Also, I can get the 2nd gen for much cheaper, is it worth getting the 3rd gen?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back