Beyerdynamic T1 3rd Gen out now
Mar 29, 2022 at 3:47 PM Post #1,321 of 1,824
they're the only ones that sound "correct" to me anymore.
+1😅

A/B between these and something like the Arya is just soo "wierd" (for the lack of a better word). Not to say that I find the Arya incorrect but the T1.3 just sounds more "complete".
It's also quite visceral in this regard as John has pointed out; it's more about the feel of it with the T1.3.

Mar 30, 2022 at 3:51 AM Post #1,322 of 1,824
I've sold my T1.3 just to finance other headphones and move around this Beyers world (have to keep my money quite realistic in this hobby). I agree there is no other HP that sounds like that. Capability of new 32 ohm driver is really insane. I do believe it is more capable then old 600ohm one. I went for T1.2, DT1990, DT177X, Xelentos after just to have my own experience with them and i have to say, nothing sounds like T1.3, nothing makes me say to myself 'wow, woooow' listening to the same songs over and over again. The problem I had with them was only that they cannot be your only headphones. Sound is coloured, lets be true about that. Because of that part of my collection sounded heavenly and part like total out of place muddy rubbish. I do believe i will return to this someday when i can just put them on stand and don't count every single $. I love that Beyer didn't hold on to Harman curve and brought something different to the market (like we are lacking neutral and harman tuned cans from every single company...). I hope 4th gen will no differ much from this, just a bit of refined tuning with mids which rejects many.

Referring this to other Beyers;
T1.2 brought tuning to much more comfortable place, where most of my music were enjoyable, I love everything they offer as T1s - spaciousness, imaging, detail but after T1.3 i can't get over low end. Extension and punchiness do not exist on this (please Beyer, just make a hybrid of 2 and 3 as 4th gen!).
DT177X i ditched quite quickly - just mud and muddiness, i don't like them at all and i don't know why there is so much love about them around the internet.
Finally DT1990 - they easily become my daily. They are obviously mostly balanced and neutral sounding and they still sounds like Beyer. They extends very well. Everything sounds right with them. Of course they are not at level of T1s, by any means not even close in their capability but they are much greater all around. I do believe they will be my keeper when i will be switching other sets (As fun fact i use them with new T1.2 pads, they sounds more 'fun', a little tribute to T1's).

Hopefully they will hang next to T1.3 or. 4 someday and I will have 3rd pair to play around :)

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2022 at 6:06 AM Post #1,323 of 1,824
I did have the T1.2 with me for a week in early March and I gotta say that they have a lot of things in common.

I'll cover this in more detail in my review but the T1.2 is more aggressive, sparkly, lean and airy with slightly better mid range presence and a softer (if not subdued) bass. It also requires very good amping to reach it's true potential. Without proper amping the T1.2 sounds like a tin can.

The T1.3 on the other hand is a mellower set with similar (if not better) sparkle and a phenomenal low end with softer mids. The end result is a smooth, liquidy and soothing set that one can enjoy without the upper mids and treble piercing your ear drums like skewers. Most importantly all this even from a lowly source like the LG V30+.

I think the bottom line is that the T1.3's signature might hint of a mass-market tuning that audio nerds like us frown upon, but when you actually hear it with all its details and technical capabilities: you're sure to keep coming back for more. I constantly have the T1.3 out on the desk even while I'm listening to a different set just to plug it in and hear how the T1.3 does that track and frankly I'm impressed the more I do it.

Mar 30, 2022 at 6:13 AM Post #1,324 of 1,824
I did have the T1.2 with me for a week in early March and I gotta say that they have a lot of things in common.

I'll cover this in more detail in my review but the T1.2 is more aggressive, sparkly, lean and airy with slightly better mid range presence and a softer (if not subdued) bass. It also requires very good amping to reach it's true potential. Without proper amping the T1.2 sounds like a tin can.

The T1.3 on the other hand is a mellower set with similar (if not better) sparkle and a phenomenal low end with softer mids. The end result is a smooth, liquidy and soothing set that one can enjoy without the upper mids and treble piercing your ear drums like skewers. Most importantly all this even from a lowly source like the LG V30+.

I think the bottom line is that the T1.3's signature might hint of a mass-market tuning that audio nerds like us frown upon, but when you actually hear it with all its details and technical capabilities: you're sure to keep coming back for more. I constantly have the T1.3 out on the desk even while I'm listening to a different set just to plug it in and hear how the T1.3 does that track and frankly I'm impressed the more I do it.
You are definitely right regarding amping T1.2 My home setup is really mediocre (IEMagni + Modi 3) and i do feel like they have much more to offer but i cant achieve that. Will let them go soon i guess.

Mar 30, 2022 at 1:13 PM Post #1,325 of 1,824
+1😅

A/B between these and something like the Arya is just soo "wierd" (for the lack of a better word). Not to say that I find the Arya incorrect but the T1.3 just sounds more "complete".
It's also quite visceral in this regard as John has pointed out; it's more about the feel of it with the T1.3.
Oh most of my headphones just sound weird going to after the T1.3, especially in terms of the bass, nothing sounds complete in the bass anymore. I do have other headphones I like of course, some more traditionally tuned. But I do think this is sadly a misunderstood headphone by many people, I think a lot of people assume a very prominent bass means it's consumer trash but it's anything but imho.

Having had both the T1.2 and T1.3 at the same time myself for months I agree they have a lot of things in common, especially if the T1.2 is driven well. I found the T1.2 definitely more sparkly in the upper treble but also the T1.3 is a tad drier in the lower treble. But I also find a slight resonance issue on the T1.2 in the mids that the T1.3 fixed; that was my main complaint on the T1.2 as it hurt it's transparency and I was glad to hear it was fixed on the T1.3. Bass on the T1.2 if driven well is nothing to scoff at, it's not T1.3 level but it's surprisingly powerful and impactful when driven well.

I find the overall sound character of the two are not that different, I can definitely hear how the T1.3 is an evolution of the sound of the T1.2, whether people like that evolution is a different story. They both have that T1 trait to them as the longer I listen to and own them the more I like them. They kind of sneakily grow on you with time.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2022 at 2:10 PM Post #1,326 of 1,824
You are definitely right regarding amping T1.2 My home setup is really mediocre (IEMagni + Modi 3) and i do feel like they have much more to offer but i cant achieve that. Will let them go soon i guess.
Get hold of an amplifier that suits the T1.2 better and it really shines. I've used the Focal Arche, SPL Phonitor, Burson Conductor 3X Reference and the Fidelice and it sounds great on all. The amplifier must be able to drive this headphone for it to show its true quality.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2022 at 2:20 PM Post #1,327 of 1,824
Having had both the T1.2 and T1.3 at the same time myself for months I agree they have a lot of things in common, especially if the T1.2 is driven well. I found the T1.2 definitely more sparkly in the upper treble but also the T1.3 is a tad drier in the lower treble. But I also find a slight resonance issue on the T1.2 in the mids that the T1.3 fixed; that was my main complaint on the T1.2 as it hurt it's transparency and I was glad to hear it was fixed on the T1.3. Bass on the T1.2 if driven well is nothing to scoff at, it's not T1.3 level but it's surprisingly powerful and impactful when driven well.

I find the overall sound character of the two are not that different, I can definitely hear how the T1.3 is an evolution of the sound of the T1.2, whether people like that evolution is a different story. They both have that T1 trait to them as the longer I listen to and own them the more I like them. They kind of sneakily grow on you with time.

Absolutely agree. The T1.2 is pretty amp dependant and really requires those voltage swings to shine. But still, to get that sort of performance (relatively) from my phone with the T1.3 makes the 3rd gen a winner in my opinion. A true workhorse (if not a battle lion) if you will.

Get hold of an amplifier that suits the T1.2 better and it really shines. I've used the Focal Arche, SPL Phonitor, Burson Conductor 2X Reference and the Fidelice and it sounds great on all. The amplifier must be able to drive this headphone for it to show its true quality.

Indeed. The V281 is a very good combo with the T1.2. However the Vio and 1.3 blow the former out of the water. If you've got some good material and a decent DAC, you can call it a day with this setup.

Apr 1, 2022 at 12:59 AM Post #1,330 of 1,824
First impression, they are and will feel smaller; second, much comfortable.

Apr 1, 2022 at 5:29 AM Post #1,331 of 1,824
How is comfort of T1 3rd gen compared to the 1990? Is the size of the pads the same? Any difference in clamp? Weight is only 10g difference it seems
The first thing i realize why Beyer kept their old design with new T1's was comfort. First impressions were meh, do something new already, but then.. :)
Clamp is stronger then on previous T1.2 but lesser then 1990.

Apr 1, 2022 at 6:20 AM Post #1,332 of 1,824
The first thing i realize why Beyer kept their old design with new T1's was comfort. First impressions were meh, do something new already, but then.. :)
Clamp is stronger then on previous T1.2 but lesser then 1990.
Yes, the overall shape may look a bit dated, but it is very comfortable. And the Pro line in general has a bit higher clamping on purpose, while the home series favors comfort. That was most obvious with the DT880 and the DT900 which were available in both series...

Apr 3, 2022 at 12:30 PM Post #1,333 of 1,824
Hi everyone!
What could be considered as proper amplification for the 3rd gens in your opinion? I am planning to buy my very first full setup (I've never had any "serious" gear before, just a sennheiser InEarG in the 80$ category).
I was thinking about the ifi zen dac v2 & zen can or the topping a50s & d50s with the 3rd gens as I think I would really like the t1's sound signature (lots of 90's hiphop and bass heavy music, sometimes some classical and of course, movies).
Does the dac&amp sound signature really matters? I would pick the ifi setup personally, since they have balanced output and other options which I could get a good use of later on, but I don't know if the t1 would be muffled or bloated with the ifi's warmer sound signature or would these compliment each other? According to the reviews, the topping setup is more analytical which would balance the warmness of the 3rd gens? Someone even recommended me the xDuoo mt-602 hybrid tube amps for them.
I just wanted to hear your opinions before this purchase, I would really appreciate any recommendations in the 400$ amp+dac price range for these headphones as a starter kit. What could be the possible factor or what could go wrong here?

Apr 3, 2022 at 3:33 PM Post #1,334 of 1,824
Hi everyone!
What could be considered as proper amplification for the 3rd gens in your opinion? I am planning to buy my very first full setup (I've never had any "serious" gear before, just a sennheiser InEarG in the 80$ category).
I was thinking about the ifi zen dac v2 & zen can or the topping a50s & d50s with the 3rd gens as I think I would really like the t1's sound signature (lots of 90's hiphop and bass heavy music, sometimes some classical and of course, movies).
Does the dac&amp sound signature really matters? I would pick the ifi setup personally, since they have balanced output and other options which I could get a good use of later on, but I don't know if the t1 would be muffled or bloated with the ifi's warmer sound signature or would these compliment each other? According to the reviews, the topping setup is more analytical which would balance the warmness of the 3rd gens? Someone even recommended me the xDuoo mt-602 hybrid tube amps for them.
I just wanted to hear your opinions before this purchase, I would really appreciate any recommendations in the 400$ amp+dac price range for these headphones as a starter kit. What could be the possible factor or what could go wrong here?
For me, T1.3 sounds great with Cobalt.

Apr 3, 2022 at 5:00 PM Post #1,335 of 1,824
Salve a tutti!
Cosa potrebbe essere considerato un'amplificazione adeguata per la 3a gen secondo te? Sto programmando di acquistare la mia prima configurazione completa (non ho mai avuto attrezzi "seri" prima, solo un Sennheiser InEarG nella categoria 80 $).
Stavo pensando all'ifi zen dac v2 e zen can o ai topping a50s e d50s con la terza generazione perché penso che mi piacerebbe molto la firma sonora del t1 (molti hiphop e bass heavy degli anni '90, a volte un po' di musica classica e, naturalmente, film).
La firma del suono dac& è davvero importante? Sceglierei personalmente la configurazione ifi, dal momento che hanno un'uscita bilanciata e altre opzioni di cui potrei fare un buon uso in seguito, ma non so se il t1 sarebbe smorzato o gonfio con la firma del suono più caldo di ifi o sarebbero questi complimentarsi a vicenda? Secondo le recensioni, l'impostazione del topping è più analitica che bilancerebbe il calore della 3a gens? Qualcuno mi ha persino consigliato gli amplificatori a valvole ibridi xDuoo mt-602 per loro.
Volevo solo sentire le vostre opinioni prima di questo acquisto, apprezzerei davvero qualsiasi consiglio nella fascia di prezzo di 400 $ amp+dac per queste cuffie come kit di base. Quale potrebbe essere il possibile fattore o cosa potrebbe andare storto qui?
lake people g111 o ifi hip dac 2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back