Beyerdynamic T1 3rd Gen out now
Jan 13, 2022 at 8:58 PM Post #1,246 of 1,824
Well I posted my T1.3 as much as I love it, It just doesn't fit my amps any more as I've built a set up for Sus and they are on completely different levels of need for amps. I can't pull my Susvara off my ears, it is everything I love about T1.3 but perfected imo. I am thinking of buying or trading them for. T1.2 as I've heard the T1.2 is magical with my amp for Susvara Kinki Studio Thr-1
I've posted about this once but it bears repeating. I have the 1.2 and bought the 1.3 thinking I would sell the 1.2. I own several good quality tube amps and some very excellent solid state amps. Try as I might I found the 1.2 superior (yes I realize this is personal) for the classical music I listen to mostly. I returned the 1.3. If you are looking for more bass and have only solid state amps you might prefer the 1.3. I could not get the 1.3 to come close to the pleasure I get from the 1.2 on a good tube amp.

Feb 1, 2022 at 10:35 AM Post #1,247 of 1,824
I compared both T1.3 and X2, X2 easily win for me, my big problem with T1.3 are :
- bass bloat way too much into the mids making a veil to the sound, like you are listening behind a big curtain
- too dark, however some can see this as an advantage, there is zero listening fatigue

X2 may be not the best in term of technicality however it is pure joy in term of music engagement because it delivers a spacious sound, a big bass impact that never goes into the mids and a sound signature that is never laid back or boring
I just had the T1.3 delivered today. Very surprising how similar they both are. I think overall the T1.3 is the better of the two (I think it is a direct upgrade from the X2HR), but not anywhere near as much as the price suggests.

Feb 1, 2022 at 10:57 AM Post #1,248 of 1,824
I just had the T1.3 delivered today. Very surprising how similar they both are. I think overall the T1.3 is the better of the two (I think it is a direct upgrade from the X2HR), but not anywhere near as much as the price suggests.
Never heard the X2HR, but my experience with any version of the T1 has been they have this weird tendency to grow on you over time in a way I haven’t experienced in other headphones. I never thought any T1 sounded all that impressive on first listen, it’s always been longer term for me. Curious if they will grow on you more over time like they have with me or not.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2022 at 1:47 PM Post #1,249 of 1,824
Never heard the X2HR, but my experience with any version of the T1 has been they have this weird tendency to grow on you over time in a way I haven’t experienced in other headphones. I never thought any T1 sounded all that impressive on first listen, it’s always been longer term for me. Curious if they will grow on you more over time like they have with me or not.
I agree with @kman1211 Haven't heard the original T1, but the T1 Gen. 2 and Gen. 3 are both beautiful sounding and have easily exchangeable cables to go balanced or single-ended and to try different metal/weave cable types without any modifications to the headphones. They're nicely made too.

Feb 1, 2022 at 3:47 PM Post #1,250 of 1,824
I dread to think how many headphones I've tried up-to-now, but the X2HR has stayed in the collection purely as it's a superb headphone for gaming. I don't use it that frequently for music anymore, but I always recommend it as a starter headphone for people due to it being so versatile (music, movies, games). So for me, saying the T1.3 is an upgrade really does speak volumes for the T1.3, Very enjoyable straight off the bat. I do find the stock sound a little too shouty in the bass, although that could also be down to the Vivid opamps in my Burson (I've got some Sparkos on the way to even the Burson out). I need to try it with some different amps.

Funny about the long-term reference though, I wasn't a big fan of the T1.2 to begin with, but really grew to appreciate it over time. I do like that Beyer have done something different with the T1, but I also think calling it the T1 is the reason for so many negative reviews (it's so polar opposite to the previous revisions). No doubt in my mind that a very different name would have led to many more positive reviews.

Feb 6, 2022 at 12:25 PM Post #1,252 of 1,824
How does the T1.3 compare to the older T1s besides FR? Like comfort, clampforce, technical aspects like soundstage, dynamics, etc,

And can the T1.3 be "corrected" with EQ at all?
Clamp force is stronger on the T1.3. Comfort is about the same for me. In terms of technical aspects such as soundstage, dynamics, etc. I personally found the T1.3 to edge out the T1.2.

I haven't really tested EQ on them as I like them stock; but simple pad changes, damping changes, etc. can dramatically alter the sound.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2022 at 1:53 PM Post #1,253 of 1,824
How does the T1.3 compare to the older T1s besides FR? Like comfort, clampforce, technical aspects like soundstage, dynamics, etc,

And can the T1.3 be "corrected" with EQ at all?
A decent neutral amp will tame the bass. A warm amp will emphasis it. I think many of the negative reviews are as a result of bad amp pairings. A good pairing results in a full bodied headphone that isn't bass heavy, but that does have good bass quantity.

Feb 7, 2022 at 12:34 PM Post #1,255 of 1,824
How is the t1 3rd gen when you remove the filter blocking the driver like the 2nd gen? I know the 3rd gen has a bad wrap with some people, but I really like the 2nd gen. I'm interested though how it sounds with that filter removed.

Feb 7, 2022 at 1:09 PM Post #1,257 of 1,824
How is the t1 3rd gen when you remove the filter blocking the driver like the 2nd gen? I know the 3rd gen has a bad wrap with some people, but I really like the 2nd gen. I'm interested though how it sounds with that filter removed.
It is quite pointless. It lose all advanteges that T1.3 has and still don't sound any close to previous gens. I'm more curious how 3rd will sound without foam hidden under the outside grill. As i checked, 1st and 2nd gen haven't any foam there.

Feb 7, 2022 at 1:16 PM Post #1,258 of 1,824
If you remove the front fabric you need to make sure you use a rubber ring on the mounting ring like on the T1.2 otherwise it won’t sound right without the front fabric. The T1.3 doesn’t have a rubber ring due to the front fabric working as damping/vibration control, but I believe it’s only a few dollars to buy the rubber rings from Beyer. Having swapped pads, mounting rings, around on the T1.3 and T1.2 you can get the T1.3 to sound more akin to the T1.2 but not quite the same. Without the fabric and with the rubber ring the sound becomes more vivid and mid-forward, it was when I experimented with modding I truly realized the T1.3 have the best version of the Tesla drivers.

I don’t think it ruins the sound (it’s just a different sound signature) but you need to experiment with different pads and get the rubber mounting rings so you can adjust it to your liking. The headphone responds very nicely to pad and damping changes but like any pad rolling and damping modding it requires trial and error.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back