Beyerdynamic T1 3rd Gen out now
Oct 4, 2020 at 10:00 PM Post #721 of 1,824
I wonder if anyone has tried the T1.3 with a GS-X mini, I would think that would be a killer pairing.

The main issue is even though the T1 gen 3 leans dark, the treble still has some peaks and will be very transparent to any glare, grain, or edge from upstream. You really need something clean, but not overly soft or blurred over.

Yeah. The HeadAmp amps have a pretty strong treble presentation, but at least their treble is relatively grain free.

With a more neutrally voiced headphone, thier treble can be too much of a good thing, but with a more mellow voiced headphone like the T1.3, it can be just the ticket.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2020 at 11:37 PM Post #722 of 1,824
I think that the most important thing to comment about these HPs is to give them time. Why? Because if you try them with a few songs that you love and know perfectly (thats what I do with all my new cans, and with T1 v3), at first you are not going to appreciate them and think in returning them (I think that even Kman, that loves Beyer HPs, had this thought)... When I put a full album and let these HPs sing, was when I started to appreciate it's particular tuning and starting to love them.
I found I disliked them the more I listened to them. I definitely don't appreciate headphones with a FR this borked.

Oct 5, 2020 at 9:25 AM Post #723 of 1,824
Yeah. The HeadAmp amps have a pretty strong treble presentation, but at least their treble is relatively grain free.

With a more neutrally voiced headphone, thier treble can be too much of a good thing, but with a more mellow voiced headphone like the T1.3, it can be just the ticket.

Then I guess you haven't heard the GS-X mini yet because you wouldn't be making such a sweeping statement.

Oct 5, 2020 at 9:05 PM Post #726 of 1,824
I wonder if anyone has tried the T1.3 with a GS-X mini, I would think that would be a killer pairing.
Maybe, maybe not. T1.3 might work better from a more neutral amp. The GS-X Mini is slightly warm, slightly bassy, which the T1.3 doesn't really need more of. I'm also not convinced the Mini treble is smooth enough.

Oct 5, 2020 at 9:30 PM Post #727 of 1,824
The GS-X mini certainly seems to draw mixed opinions, I have yet to hear it myself but looking forward to checking that box at some point. I am jumping to the conclusions about the signature of the T1.3 but will need to hear those for myself as well. My assumptions so far based on various opinions from others is that the T1.3 might need to be woken up a bit with an amp that has some lively mids and highs and keeps a tight grip on the bass. I think it will take a while for consensus to build on the T1.3 for two very significant reasons. The first is the dramatic change in sound signature that will probably come as a shock to beyer fans and require some big adjustments in terms of ear/brain recalibration and expectations. The second would be the dramatic change in impedance which, IMHO, throws years of amp pairing experiments with past T1 versions right out the window and has everyone starting from scratch. That's just me, interpreting what I am reading from various forums and watching on youtube. And yes, I know that consensus rarely happens in regard to any component on these boards or even in this hobby community in general, but there are patterns that emerge depending on whose feedback you trust the most.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2020 at 9:36 PM Post #728 of 1,824
I am hoping to hear more reviews from those of you breaking in T1.3s ASAP... I have spent a week with the Tygr 300r as I was kind of hoping for something that would tide me over for a bit, but they are going up for sale now as they just didn't quite give me enough resolution/detail and after running them in for a bit still strike me as just a little bright. I would usually be more patient and give them (and me) more time to burn in, but I would rather start raising funds so I can give the T1.3 a try very soon.

The only headphone that has survived long term for me is the ATH-R70x. If only I could take everything from 300Hz down from my old DT1990 and combine it with everything above 300Hz on the R70x and then throw in 10-20% more resolving power that will scale up with better DACs/amps I would be in heaven... that is my version of the perfect headphone that I am searching for.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2020 at 9:42 PM Post #729 of 1,824
The sound is what it is, people's reaction thereof is irrelevant. A big part of the problem is people not knowing what sound they want and just flitting from one piece of gear to the next, hence brain burn in and recalibration becomes the name of the game.

I stand by my initial impressions and I haven't heard anything contradictory so far (note, I don't pay attention to youtube reviews). Contrary to the bleating of several posters here, I did not have any "expectations" that were shattered upon hearing the T1 gen 3.

Edit: Left out the "I" in the parenthesized sentence above, which rather changes the meaning. Whoops.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2020 at 12:45 AM Post #730 of 1,824
The description of the audiophile pain is correct, some do not know what they want to hear, do not trust their own ears, become unsettled, do not recognize the pearl.

Admittedly, I make things easy for myself, at moderate volume levels I want to be in the flow of the music, without any signs of fatigue. This works for me well with the T1.3, I suspect i.a. because of the richness of details, also in the low frequency range. The brain does not have to supplement what it has heard.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2020 at 10:29 AM Post #731 of 1,824
What about T1.3 vs Amiron ?

Some years ago I tried Amiron and found that it had a really nice dynamic driver bass, a large soundstage but the mids were too recessed and lacked excitement.

I’m looking for a complement to my HE6se : a dynamic driver with a warm / romantic sound but not in an exagerated way.

Oct 6, 2020 at 10:40 AM Post #732 of 1,824
I have been a long-time fan of the Beyerdynamic brand, yet with this T1 Gen3 I only see a rebranding of the partnership with Astell & Kern of the A&K T1P model ... The change being on the look and in the addition of the filter in front of the driver, for the first time in years I don't want to indulge myself with the '' latest Beyer headphone ''! It's a shame but I believe that Beyer is very well developed on the wireless range, maybe the 'audiophile' world is too restrictive to satisfy ? When I see this T1 gen3 at 1000 € I can not justify such an expense, the headphones do not seem particularly beautiful or innovative except for the 32 ohms .... I better understood a T5P gen3 in 32 ohms for the nomadic and travel use, then a T1 Gen3 with an exclusive 300 ohm driver. For a long time I have said to myself that the best headphone of the brand is probably the DT1990 Pro, unfortunately I believe that this is true with the arrival of this third generation of T1 / T5. Hope is alive so I'm waiting for a magnificent Tesla driver of 300 ohms of 50mm or even 55mm maybe in 2024 for the 100 years of the brand ?

I can't imagine the makers of this great brand not viewing a forum like Head-fi, so here's my request:

'' Please make us a beautiful flagship worthy of your history and your technology for less than 1500/1200 €, a beautiful headphone more efficient and less expensive than most of the other flagships ! ''

Being a very long time Beyerdynamic headphone user, I have recently had no interest in switching from my DT1990 to this T1 gen3, the price is in my opinion too high for what it provides. And I speak as a user of DT1770 / 1990 / T90 / DT990pro / T90 / MMX300 300.2 ....

Change the guy who validated the sad and tasteless design of this T1 gen3, and take the exclusuve line of the T1 gne 2 hihih .. Of course I'm kidding, but I'm still disappointed with this last version which does not make me desire !

Oct 6, 2020 at 1:40 PM Post #733 of 1,824
What about T1.3 vs Amiron ?

Some years ago I tried Amiron and found that it had a really nice dynamic driver bass, a large soundstage but the mids were too recessed and lacked excitement.

I’m looking for a complement to my HE6se : a dynamic driver with a warm / romantic sound but not in an exagerated way.

The T1.3 has less upper midrange energy than the Amiron, the T1.3 is one of the warmest headphones I’ve heard, it’s warmer than the Nighthawk Carbons (with microsuede pads) to give you an idea.

I have been a long-time fan of the Beyerdynamic brand, yet with this T1 Gen3 I only see a rebranding of the partnership with Astell & Kern of the A&K T1P model ... The change being on the look and in the addition of the filter in front of the driver, for the first time in years I don't want to indulge myself with the '' latest Beyer headphone ''! It's a shame but I believe that Beyer is very well developed on the wireless range, maybe the 'audiophile' world is too restrictive to satisfy ? When I see this T1 gen3 at 1000 € I can not justify such an expense, the headphones do not seem particularly beautiful or innovative except for the 32 ohms .... I better understood a T5P gen3 in 32 ohms for the nomadic and travel use, then a T1 Gen3 with an exclusive 300 ohm driver. For a long time I have said to myself that the best headphone of the brand is probably the DT1990 Pro, unfortunately I believe that this is true with the arrival of this third generation of T1 / T5. Hope is alive so I'm waiting for a magnificent Tesla driver of 300 ohms of 50mm or even 55mm maybe in 2024 for the 100 years of the brand ?

I can't imagine the makers of this great brand not viewing a forum like Head-fi, so here's my request:

'' Please make us a beautiful flagship worthy of your history and your technology for less than 1500/1200 €, a beautiful headphone more efficient and less expensive than most of the other flagships ! ''

Being a very long time Beyerdynamic headphone user, I have recently had no interest in switching from my DT1990 to this T1 gen3, the price is in my opinion too high for what it provides. And I speak as a user of DT1770 / 1990 / T90 / DT990pro / T90 / MMX300 300.2 ....

Change the guy who validated the sad and tasteless design of this T1 gen3, and take the exclusuve line of the T1 gne 2 hihih .. Of course I'm kidding, but I'm still disappointed with this last version which does not make me desire !

I wouldn’t assume that the T1.3 is the T1p with extra foam in front. This headphone is quite different sounding than other Beyers and it largely comes down to the driver itself. The driver and internal damping as also different. Also the fit and finish is of better quality than the gen 2. I have both. The Gen 2 never gave me the same impression of solidity and quality when being held in the hand.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2020 at 3:23 PM Post #734 of 1,824
The T1.3 has less upper midrange energy than the Amiron, the T1.3 is one of the warmest headphones I’ve heard, it’s warmer than the Nighthawk Carbons (with microsuede pads) to give you an idea.

Thank you for your answer, what about bass and mids compared to Amiron ?

Oct 6, 2020 at 7:51 PM Post #735 of 1,824
The T1.3 is pretty much the definition of warm in an exaggerated way.

What amp were you using?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back