Beyerdynamic T1 3rd Gen out now
Sep 18, 2020 at 2:03 AM Post #601 of 1,824
So removing the damping materials from the T1.3 sounds like the T1.2?

Excellent review of the T1.3 ! I'm also interested to know if the T1.3 without the foams is an improvement over the T1.1 and T1.2

I did not own the T1.2. I only listened to it at a meet once and I did not have it here to compare. But since everything is changed in T1.3, new driver (32 Ohm vs. 600 Ohm), new internal dampening, new bafle design, new cushions etc. T1.3 is a completely different design than T1.2. T1.3 is designed and intended to be a darker signature. Removing the dampening pads was wrong by me and it is not how Beyerdynamic intended them to sound. I thought it sounded better because it eased away the low end impact and I could better perceive the rest of the music.

Sep 18, 2020 at 2:10 AM Post #602 of 1,824
Really darker than 1770 ? I don't know how is driver variance with these 1770's but they were quite dark to me with recessed treble and mids. Bass was waaaaay to much. Bass punch wasn't good though. I think what you describe with ''more bass'' is the punch. I don't think T1.3 can have the amount of bass 1770 have. 1770 have WAY TOO MUCH BASS. However T1.3 probably more punchy. High bass/low mids probably more as well.

T1.3 is definitely darker than 1770. I hear 1770 as (my) reference sound - like Beyerdynamic used to sound. Well, 1770 was somewhat darker than the other Beyers when it came out but with a perfect balance around the mids. But again, I know I am "out of balance" and being deceived by what level of bass I am adjusted to for many years. It just tells me that I have to spend LOOONG time (days) with a headphone to really judge how it sounds. Lesson learned - again!

Sep 18, 2020 at 2:25 AM Post #603 of 1,824
T1.3 is definitely darker than 1770. I hear 1770 as (my) reference sound - like Beyerdynamic used to sound. Well, 1770 was somewhat darker than the other Beyers when it came out but with a perfect balance around the mids. But again, I know I am "out of balance" and being deceived by what level of bass I am adjusted to for many years. It just tells me that I have to spend LOOONG time (days) with a headphone to really judge how it sounds. Lesson learned - again!

I’ve always thought the vast majority of headphone sounded too bright to be natural and never had enough bass especially when you compare them to a good full-range speaker system and I’ll rather trust what is considered a neutral sound from speakers than what is considered neutral from headphones. Maybe Beyer is trying to address the inherent bass weakness of headphones especially open-backs with the T1.3.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2020 at 2:38 AM Post #604 of 1,824
That's ^^^

We are tired of flagship headphones with bright treble , ultra piercing detail and anemic bass.
As for the Harman target , no comments.
Some users in a few tests decided that is the golden rule.
No thanks I don't like it and most people don't.
Can you make a headphone to sound like full range speaker in a well treated room following Bruel & Kjaer target?
Then you have nailed it.
Only few such designs come in my mind...

Sep 18, 2020 at 2:46 AM Post #605 of 1,824
Problem is and always will be physiqs... You can get different Drivers for bass, mids and highs for speakers. That way each driver can play much cleaner.
Headphones have only driver that Gonna lack somewhere.

Sep 18, 2020 at 2:58 AM Post #606 of 1,824
Maybe Beyer is trying to address the inherent bass weakness of headphones especially open-backs with the T1.3.
They're not, though. All Beyer is doing with regards to bass is slapping progressively warmer pads on the same basic platform, with the end result being everything below 1kHz getting a boost. The sledgehammer approach, in other words. Seriously, getting more bass out of an open headphone this way isn't hard. The challenge is getting more bass without making sacrifices elsewhere.

Sep 18, 2020 at 3:04 AM Post #608 of 1,824
Problem is and always will be physiqs... You can get different Drivers for bass, mids and highs for speakers. That way each driver can play much cleaner.
Headphones have only driver that Gonna lack somewhere.
Of course but we still can have let's say 90% of that performance and be very happy with it.

Sep 18, 2020 at 3:04 AM Post #609 of 1,824
They're not, though. All Beyer is doing with regards to bass is slapping progressively warmer pads on the same basic platform, with the end result being everything below 1kHz getting a boost. The sledgehammer approach, in other words. Seriously, getting more bass out of an open headphone this way isn't hard. The challenge is getting more bass without making sacrifices elsewhere.

Not really as I find the mids and treble to be more tonally correct than most other headphones and I don't think I'm alone in this, other headphones sound downright artificial compared to it, this becomes apparent as you spend more time with them. I had some concerns about them at first myself and was actually mulling returning them not too long ago. Do you still have them and how much time did you spend with them?

Is the T1.3 gonna be using the same drivers as the DT1990? I heard that from someone, but wanted to confirm with others here who may know more.

Nope very different, different impedance, different angle, different baffle, and different capsule.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2020 at 3:14 AM Post #610 of 1,824
This makes them really interesting to me now

Sep 18, 2020 at 4:00 AM Post #611 of 1,824
Not really as I find the mids and treble to be more tonally correct than most other headphones and I don't think I'm alone in this, other headphones sound downright artificial compared to it, this becomes apparent as you spend more time with them. I had some concerns about them at first myself and was actually mulling returning them not too long ago. Do you still have them and how much time did you spend with them?
Have you ever tried pad swapping the T1, either gen 2 or 3, with something like DT 880 pads? The boost to the low end is purely from the pads, affecting everything from 1kHz down. We can argue whether that is "artificial" or not, but it's absolutely how the tuning has been achieved. Not some cutting edge driver tech or space age earcup damping developed in a secret German lab.

I spent a few days with them. They're boxed up ready to go back to Beyer now.

Sep 18, 2020 at 8:04 AM Post #612 of 1,824
Have you ever tried pad swapping the T1, either gen 2 or 3, with something like DT 880 pads? The boost to the low end is purely from the pads, affecting everything from 1kHz down. We can argue whether that is "artificial" or not, but it's absolutely how the tuning has been achieved. Not some cutting edge driver tech or space age earcup damping developed in a secret German lab.

I spent a few days with them. They're boxed up ready to go back to Beyer now.

The T1.2 pads made the T1.3 notably darker and bassier. I don't have any DT 880 pads sadly, but I have numerous other pads that will fit. But just swapping the T1.2 and T1.3 pads tells me it's not from the pads alone. I tested this earlier, the driver itself outputs more bass than the gen 2. I often test headphones without pads and front damping to get a better idea of how the driver is tuned. I find most of the bass increase over the gen 2 comes from the driver itself actually.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2020 at 8:35 AM Post #613 of 1,824
I think the T1.3 has a lot of personality, even more than Amiron or DT 1990. Sinceresly, there was no "WOW" factor when I tried them two days ago, instead of that I didn´t like them at all.

I think they are too different from Amiron and DT 1990, that I noticed similar. The midrange is too upfront (for me) and that scared me at first (and even now). I also noticed sibilance in certain songs (have not noticed that in all my experience with HPs and I was astonished with that).

Maybe is my DAC (Asus Xonar Essence One) or my expectations that were very high and wanted a thing similar to Amiron and DT 1990 Pro, but improved.

I will write more impressions tonight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back