Beyerdynamic T1 3rd Gen out now
Sep 7, 2020 at 3:47 PM Post #481 of 1,824
It is more musical and inviting. Sometimes the HD800S would leave me cold. The tonality is more natural with the Beyer's and really works with more musical genres as a result. I rarely used the HD800S for modern pop or rock, the T1.3s on the other hand are great with those genres. The HD800S do cast a wider soundstage, but the T1.3's close that gap over the T1.2 and are no slouches themselves.
Nice. Seems like a perfect fit for me. Since HD800S was slightly superior when it comes to technicalities vs T1.2... Does T1.3 closed the gap?

Sep 7, 2020 at 4:13 PM Post #482 of 1,824
Nice. Seems like a perfect fit for me. Since HD800S was slightly superior when it comes to technicalities vs T1.2... Does T1.3 closed the gap?

I certainly think it does so far. :)

Sep 7, 2020 at 5:51 PM Post #483 of 1,824
There is one thing I should mention though, I'm finding the mids and the treble of the T1 gen 2 unnatural compared to the T1 gen 3. The T1 gen 2 isn't really sounding right to me anymore.
When you listen to one headphone for a while the others tend to sound 'off' cause you are now used to the sound of the new headphones. What was once the pinnacle is now sounding wrong. Did the headphones change? Did the kman1211 change? A step 'up' can sometimes be unnoticeable until you listen the step 'down' again.

Sep 7, 2020 at 6:08 PM Post #484 of 1,824
When you listen to one headphone for a while the others tend to sound 'off' cause you are now used to the sound of the new headphones. What was once the pinnacle is now sounding wrong. Did the headphones change? Did the kman1211 change? A step 'up' can sometimes be unnoticeable until you listen the step 'down' again.
The T1.2 has always had excessive warmth, bordering on bloat, in the mids. The transition from the mid-bass boost to the laid-back upper mids is too steep. It's the same issue as headphones that have bass bleed, just a few octaves higher.

I suspect that people hear it to different degrees partly due to acclimation, but also due to differences in pinna gain, which is a factor with the angled drivers.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2020 at 12:38 AM Post #485 of 1,824
Just ordered, lets see how it go.
I certainly think it does so far. :)
Just ordered, since i can return it why not? Lets see just how clean and detailed it sounds, it's separation and sound-stage. HD800 was never a headphone i liked, it sounded clear, detailed but sounded boring, mundane and outright not my type of headphone - it could never exactly pin point the distance when in games as well. I'll see just how good the T1's are and how they react with certain amplifiers.
I'm still not sold over the 32ohm though.

Sep 8, 2020 at 1:49 AM Post #486 of 1,824
Agree, comparing headphones is fraught with hazard especially if one is new and may be a moving target. Since direct A-B comparisons are unreliable you have to rely on sound memory which is unreliable.

Sep 8, 2020 at 2:15 AM Post #487 of 1,824

The T1.3 has never sounded off, whereas I can find the T1.2 to sound off in the mids when I come from another headphone with a flatter midrange response. I've always thought for instance the HD 6xx line had a better tuning than the T1.2, etc. but it's the subtleties of the T1.2 such as transients, dynamics, imaging, lower listening fatigue, etc. that made me choose the T1.2 over other headphones I owned. The T1.3 has these subtleties I like about the T1.2 plus a more organic tuning which was immediately apparent. I'm well aware of the acclimation effect, the differences were a bit stark to me this time around is why I mentioned it that way.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2020 at 12:54 PM Post #489 of 1,824
Hello,
first time poster here.
I have the T1 2nd Gen and like it, but for me it has a little bit too much trebel and not enough bass. So I ordered teh 3rd Gen. Bass is good (maybe too much), but I don't like the treble. For me it sounds too muffled. I don't understand why Beyerdynamic calls it a T1 3rd Generation, for me the sound signature is quite different.
I was in a shop today and heard the Focal Elear (and the Focal Clear, but only for a short time). The Elear has exactly what I was missing with the 2nd Gen. I bit more bass and the treble a bit reduced compared to the 2nd Gen. I bought it and the 3rd Gen has to go back.

I received today teh MiniDSP EARS and made a measurement of all three headphones. Please bear in mind that the EARS system is nothing professional, and I used it the first time. But the frequency curve shows what I was hearing, so it should not be too far off.

If someone could tell me how to upload pictures I can post the graphs...

Sep 8, 2020 at 1:28 PM Post #491 of 1,824
Hello,
first time poster here.
I have the T1 2nd Gen and like it, but for me it has a little bit too much trebel and not enough bass. So I ordered teh 3rd Gen. Bass is good (maybe too much), but I don't like the treble. For me it sounds too muffled. I don't understand why Beyerdynamic calls it a T1 3rd Generation, for me the sound signature is quite different.
I was in a shop today and heard the Focal Elear (and the Focal Clear, but only for a short time). The Elear has exactly what I was missing with the 2nd Gen. I bit more bass and the treble a bit reduced compared to the 2nd Gen. I bought it and the 3rd Gen has to go back.

I received today teh MiniDSP EARS and made a measurement of all three headphones. Please bear in mind that the EARS system is nothing professional, and I used it the first time. But the frequency curve shows what I was hearing, so it should not be too far off.

If someone could tell me how to upload pictures I can post the graphs...

How about the dynamic between them i;m curious as well... is T3 has more/better dynamic than focal ?

Sep 8, 2020 at 2:31 PM Post #492 of 1,824
The T1.2 is more similar to the Amiron Home but with less sub-bass presence and an overall softer/relaxed sound, the Amiron Home is a little more intimate than the T1.2 but I find the T1.2 more nuanced and refined. The T1.3 is more similar to the DT 1990 where it's more intimate, meaty, and dynamic, but also darker and more resolving than the DT 1990. With my impressions so far, I would say the T1.2 is more akin to a better Amiron Home whereas the T1.3 is more akin to a better DT 1990 Pro. When it comes to which headphone is better in terms of fidelity and resolving ability and also which I ultimately prefer I haven't made a decision yet. When I make that decision is when I plan on making the full comparison review of them.

I'll take either T1 over the Amiron Home or DT 1990 in terms of comfort imho. The T1.3 does clamp more, but I never had any issues with it's headband. The T1.2 had a little too much padding on the sides of the headband for me when new but that eased up with use.

I do listen to those genre's some, I like both headphones for those genres actually. I always liked both the Amiron Home and DT 1990, just found the DT 1990 a bit above my brightness tolerance level. Yes I do, haven't heard a genre it doesn't do well with, but I also find the gen 2 handles all genres well as well, just different presentations.

I've been using the Bifrost 2 DAC for a while. On the Gen 2 I rotated amps, tried the Asgard 2, Heresy, and Sony UDA-1. The Sony will not work with the T1.3 well as it has a very high output impedance and low-impedance headphones never worked well on it.

I haven't heard the T1.3 yet,
but I must say that your descriptions and comparisons regarding
the Amiron, DT1990, and T1.2 match mine quite precisely.

(I own the Amiron and T1.2, and owned the DT1990.)

Sep 8, 2020 at 2:56 PM Post #494 of 1,824
then use abload.de

Users who are viewing this thread

Back