Beyerdynamic T1 3rd Gen out now
Sep 4, 2020 at 4:08 AM Post #361 of 1,833
I owned Elear, heard Clear. Never heard Elex.

Elear I have never felt in love with it. Not sure why. It was good headphone but I did not find it to excel at anything, other than dynamics maybe.

Clear on the other hand is best headphone I have heard (and also most expensive at that time £1400) and absolutely loved it, unfortunately I did not spent enough time with it, and in general I prefer to stay under £1000 this hobby can get very expensive if one is not careful.

From what you saying, thats what T1 is. Slightly wider, much deeper soundstage. Yes, it has plenty of bass, I think Beyerdynamic will turn old enemies into new friends, and old friends into new enemies :). That is simply because Beyerdynamic is famous for their highs and it was love or hate relationship, those who loved it might be disappointed this time around, where those who hated it might give it another chance and like it. When I say fun, it is because it has V shaped sound signature. T1 always had, but where before you had slightly elevated bass, mids and elevated highs. Now its the other way around, that is how I feel about it at least :). But there is more to it than just frequency, it is technically better then anything before from Beyerdynamic and sound stage is also very unique and really well done, imaging is as good as ever.

That is for me for tonight. Will reply more tomorrow.

So would you say that the Clear is the superior headphone compared to the T1.3? I have a Clear currently ... wondering if the T1.3 is worth considering. I love the Clear, I just wish it had a better soundstage.

Sep 4, 2020 at 4:16 AM Post #362 of 1,833
Impressive that Beyerdynamic has managed to create a low impedance driver that performs as well as a high impedance one but we knew that was possible. Adds to its value.

Sep 4, 2020 at 4:58 AM Post #363 of 1,833
So would you say that the Clear is the superior headphone compared to the T1.3? I have a Clear currently ... wondering if the T1.3 is worth considering. I love the Clear, I just wish it had a better soundstage.

Personally, I think you would not achieve what you want. For bigger soundstage but similar sound signature I would go for Hifiman Ananda or Arya (if budget allows).

T1 and Clear I would say have about same soundstage width (Again going by distant memory), biggest difference is that Clear sounds very airy and open, however not necessary big. Where T1 sounds much more intimate and is more exciting headphone, clear to my ear was very well balanced (maybe tad bit more bass would be nice but that is nitpicking, I loved it). Even though they both have about same soundstage, T1 has slightly better imaging and depth.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2020 at 12:44 PM Post #364 of 1,833
Also, get mine yesterday from Jaben SG :)

50300408368_06d28c16a3_6k.jpg

Sep 4, 2020 at 12:52 PM Post #365 of 1,833
Ot would be nice if someone can compare T1.3 to some high end headphones like Arya or HE6.

Sep 4, 2020 at 1:33 PM Post #367 of 1,833
Here's a funny thing... I hadn't listened to my DT-880 Premium 600 ohm headphones for years - I had bought them to take on trips, with the intention, like a fool, to use them for my Sony player. So, after a refresher in electronics, I know why they went into the closet. I'm sure I wasn't impressed with the sound through a digital music player! I just took them upstairs to the Beyer A20 and plugged them in, and played an SACD on my Sony player...wow, they sound great! So, I now have two pairs of cans that sound fantastic through my A20. They sound different than my DT-1990s...not inferior, just a different signature...a little less bass, and little more on the high end....but not lacking in any way at all, compared to my 1990s. Live and learn!
Have exactly same experience. Don’t want to derail this thread, but DT880 600 ohm with A20 amp is very capable combo and I now recomend it as a perfect starting point to this hobby. One need to spend much more money to get some noticable improvement. Ok, sorry everyone, back to T1.3... :)

Sep 4, 2020 at 1:47 PM Post #369 of 1,833
Have exactly same experience. Don’t want to derail this thread, but DT880 600 ohm with A20 amp is very capable combo and I now recomend it as a perfect starting point to this hobby. One need to spend much more money to get some noticable improvement. Ok, sorry everyone, back to T1.3... :)
Problem is A20 expensive and pretty outdated product.

Sep 4, 2020 at 3:25 PM Post #370 of 1,833
I agree 100%. I was pleasantly surprised at how good the combo sounded.

Sep 4, 2020 at 3:47 PM Post #372 of 1,833
I use Fiio K5 Pro which suits me very well. My Amiron Home sounds so much better. Can't wait for either T1 or T5.

Sep 4, 2020 at 4:44 PM Post #373 of 1,833
There is more bass it's also quite different and I agree much more visceral, more like what I got from the DT 1990 than the T1.2's or Amiron Home's bass.

The sound of the T1.3 is more direct and intimate than the T1.2 which I find slightly laid-back and more of a softer sweeter sound.

Soundstage is in fact slightly wider to my ears and I agree it has a lot more depth. Reminds me more of the depth I get from my DT 480.

Vocals do appear more present than the T1.2 in my direct comparison but there may be a dip like you said, I am using them on a Lyr 3 and I haven't tried different tubes or other amps yet so my perception of the mids may be altered some, I'll try them on the Schiit Heresy I have just to confirm if anything changes. There is some mild energy in the upper treble but notably less than the T1.2, DT 1990, and Amiron Home.

Openness feels about the same and I agree it's much better damped. It does have amazing detail and imaging, honestly I'd say they outshine the gen 2 here even.

Here is some pictures of some of the changes to the damping. Inside there is foam behind the grill. Whereas it’s a metal mesh on the T1.2.

It's too soon to mess with your new T1 but could you one time try to add that fleece to the T1.2 and see how that changes the sound?
As the sceptical person I am what I am seeing here: T1.2 with A&K T1p driver and TYGR fleece

Note: I ADORE the Tygr, at times I just want to sell my T1.2 since the TYGR is that good (although more direct, more like a DT1990 without the piercing highs)! Combine the best of a DT990: the TYGR fleece and a T1 and by all means it must a winner for a lot of people! But I'd like to see my theory put to the test if possible :D

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2020 at 5:11 PM Post #374 of 1,833
It's too soon to mess with your new T1 but could you one time try to add that fleece to the T1.2 and see how that changes the sound?
As the sceptical person I am what I am seeing here: T1.2 with A&K T1p driver and TYGR fleece
Do you have any evidence this is the same material as on the Tygr, or is this just asspull? They don't look the same based on pictures.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back