Beyerdynamic T1 3rd Gen out now
Sep 3, 2020 at 3:22 PM Post #332 of 1,833
I’ll reserve judgement until I’ve actually heard them. There seems to be a certain amount of expectation bias, because “proper German headphones have a high impedance”.

It reminds me of an analogy from the automotive world:

Back in 1977, Porsche launched a new sports car. It was radically modern; it looked as if it had just driven off the set of Star Wars (same year, IIRC), and (sorry guys) it blew the contemporary 911 into the weeds without breaking a sweat. Yet the market ultimately rejected it, because it didn’t conform to its expectations of a “proper” Porsche: it was neither air cooled nor rear-engined!

I refer, of course, to the 928.

Sep 3, 2020 at 3:29 PM Post #333 of 1,833
onestly probably because it’s an engaging headphone to listen to.
Exactly. It's especially good for rock metal. Something like Mick Gordon's Doom soundtrack sounds so much better on 1990 than any headphone i've heard. But that's it. Even relaxing lo fi melodies sounding like hardcore, engaging, exciting with it. For comparison Ananda sounds like fairies playing harp around me.

People say 1990 is jack of all trades. It's opposite to me. It's very good at one thing and you don't wanna listen it all the time. It's a headphone to reach out when you are in the mood.

Sep 3, 2020 at 3:31 PM Post #334 of 1,833
There is more bass it's also quite different and I agree much more visceral, more like what I got from the DT 1990 than the T1.2's or Amiron Home's bass.

The sound of the T1.3 is more direct and intimate than the T1.2 which I find slightly laid-back and more of a softer sweeter sound.

Soundstage is in fact slightly wider to my ears and I agree it has a lot more depth. Reminds me more of the depth I get from my DT 480.

Vocals do appear more present than the T1.2 in my direct comparison but there may be a dip like you said, I am using them on a Lyr 3 and I haven't tried different tubes or other amps yet so my perception of the mids may be altered some, I'll try them on the Schiit Heresy I have just to confirm if anything changes. There is some mild energy in the upper treble but notably less than the T1.2, DT 1990, and Amiron Home.

Openness feels about the same and I agree it's much better damped. It does have amazing detail and imaging, honestly I'd say they outshine the gen 2 here even.

Here is some pictures of some of the changes to the damping. Inside there is foam behind the grill. Whereas it’s a metal mesh on the T1.2.

28CFF037-11BB-4B37-880B-B0A0308839B0.jpeg
92E8577A-71C4-4B94-8C60-9A3AEEC30C58.jpeg
32DEB460-3C0E-4FCA-8043-993E8A7E45AC.jpeg
2E3F441C-43B1-4841-BD78-49DB94B0A6D4.jpeg
Thanks for the pictures ! Have you had a chance to listen them without those layers of foam ? I'm curious to know if they sound a bit brighter without those foams. Thanks

Sep 3, 2020 at 3:36 PM Post #335 of 1,833
Thank you very much. It's surprising how new T1 bass similiar to balanced pad 1990. That thing was almost like basshead type of headphone.
Same here sensitive to lower treble and i love higher treble. Feels like new T1 is fixed and better version of 1990 which is what i want. Ananda is really different beast... well not beast it's a beauty :)

Bass is similiar to 1990, 1-4k should be lower, higher treble should be more refined. 1990 was extremely aggressive, focused and precise. How much party animal is new T1 ? 1990 was a bit too much to me. I prefer slightly bigger soundstage, more field of view. I assume angled drivers will help with that. DT 770 soundstage and presentation better than 1990 to me.

Currently price is a bit too much. More than twice of Amiron Home. I can pay 50% more than Amiron so i will look for price drops or sales. For comparison Ananda $700, T1 €860.

Did you listen Focal's dynamic cans Elex and Clear ?

I owned Elear, heard Clear. Never heard Elex.

Elear I have never felt in love with it. Not sure why. It was good headphone but I did not find it to excel at anything, other than dynamics maybe.

Clear on the other hand is best headphone I have heard (and also most expensive at that time £1400) and absolutely loved it, unfortunately I did not spent enough time with it, and in general I prefer to stay under £1000 this hobby can get very expensive if one is not careful.

From what you saying, thats what T1 is. Slightly wider, much deeper soundstage. Yes, it has plenty of bass, I think Beyerdynamic will turn old enemies into new friends, and old friends into new enemies :). That is simply because Beyerdynamic is famous for their highs and it was love or hate relationship, those who loved it might be disappointed this time around, where those who hated it might give it another chance and like it. When I say fun, it is because it has V shaped sound signature. T1 always had, but where before you had slightly elevated bass, mids and elevated highs. Now its the other way around, that is how I feel about it at least :). But there is more to it than just frequency, it is technically better then anything before from Beyerdynamic and sound stage is also very unique and really well done, imaging is as good as ever.

That is for me for tonight. Will reply more tomorrow.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2020 at 3:38 PM Post #336 of 1,833
Great stuff. If it isn't too much trouble, a shot of the back of one of the pads would be great as well. I'm curious if they changed the hole pattern from the T1.2 or if all the sonic changes are from what you've pictured so far.

Might also be interesting to see how they sound without the foam in front of the drivers.
Like razor blades? That's how I found the top end on the T1 and T1v2.

Sep 3, 2020 at 3:46 PM Post #337 of 1,833
Like razor blades? That's how I found the top end on the T1 and T1v2.

Interesting as I never got razor blade treble from the T1 gen 2, a bit bright at times and sometimes hazy depending on the system but never really sharp or piercing. I found the Amiron Home and DT 1990 sharper in the treble. Definitely shows how different people can perceive treble differently. The DT 990 on the other hand, that was like needles in my ears and caused me noticeable listening fatigue.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2020 at 3:48 PM Post #338 of 1,833
Thanks for the pictures ! Have you had a chance to listen them without those layers of foam ? I'm curious to know if they sound a bit brighter without those foams. Thanks

No problem, not yet. Will be doing that later as I want to get a good feel on the headphone first. I'm not always the fastest reviewer as I like to spend a lot of time with my headphones before posting any reviews.

Sep 3, 2020 at 3:58 PM Post #339 of 1,833
No problem, not yet. Will be doing that later as I want to get a good feel on the headphone first. I'm not always the fastest reviewer as I like to spend a lot of time with my headphones before posting any reviews.
Who doesn't :p The first time we listen to a new headphones will take some time as our brain needs to be burned in and get used to the new headphone.

So the T1.3 is for bassheads? And what about its treble?

Sep 3, 2020 at 4:05 PM Post #341 of 1,833
Who doesn't :p The first time we listen to a new headphones will take some time as our brain needs to be burned in and get used to the new headphone.

So the T1.3 is for bassheads? And what about its treble?

It seems to have a bass tilt so may be more for bassheads. I wouldn't say it's a basshead can but bass lovers will enjoy it. Treble does have a bit of the Beyer snappiness but it's not what I would call bright nor is it too dark. Another picture of the two headphones. I feel like I got the actual color of the grills better on this photo.

584F1E74-239F-465E-92C1-B19BA80F5D9E.jpeg

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2020 at 4:17 PM Post #342 of 1,833
It seems to have a bass tilt so may be more for bassheads. I wouldn't say it's a basshead can but bass lovers will enjoy it. Treble does have a bit of the Beyer snappiness but it's not what I would call bright nor is it too dark. Another picture of the two headphones. I feel like I got the actual color of the grills better on this photo.

584F1E74-239F-465E-92C1-B19BA80F5D9E.jpeg

Yes, well said. Treble is still there, it is not gone. It just has been reduced to the point where headphone is still extremely detailed but not fatiguing, which is good thing. And I would not class it as basshead headphone. But there is plenty of it and considering this is open headphone it impressive how low it goes and in what quantity it is present.

Sep 3, 2020 at 4:23 PM Post #343 of 1,833
Yes, well said. Treble is still there, it is not gone. It just has been reduced to the point where headphone is still extremely detailed but not fatiguing, which is good thing. And I would not class it as basshead headphone. But there is plenty of it and considering this is open headphone it impressive how low it goes and in what quantity it is present.

Honestly still like the gen 2 a lot too. Both headphones like the Lyr 3. The gen 2 has an airier sound, a hint of sparkle, and more relaxed sound whereas the gen 3 is more intimate and impactful with a toned down treble. I actually like having both for different moods and different tracks. Both can output good dynamics and both have great transients. I will come to a conclusion about the two and which I ultimate prefer once I spend a lot of time with both, that will be with the actual review though, so a couple weeks from now most likely.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2020 at 4:35 PM Post #345 of 1,833
The gen 2 has a great midbass hump that is coloring everything.
Is that the same with 3?

There is a midbass hump but there also seems to be more upper bass which helps add some fullness and meat to the sound and with also less treble brings a bit more focus on the mids. The T1.2 midbass stands out more as the mids dip in gently and you get a curve up causing a more withdrawn, delicate, and relaxed midrange with some airiness in the treble.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back