Beyerdynamic MMX 300 or Sennheiser PC350
Aug 19, 2008 at 2:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 58

sdchew

New Head-Fier
Hi Guys,

I'm planning to get either one of these and I'm interesting in hearing your opinions on which is a better purchase.

One important point for me is that the headphones must be comfortable after prolong use. I wear glasses and some headphones make my ears hurt.

Thanks guys. Any feedback is appreciated.

Aug 19, 2008 at 2:21 AM Post #2 of 58
lol oh man. anyway, try the beyer.

Aug 19, 2008 at 6:04 AM Post #4 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're far better off buying some headphones and getting a clip-on microphone instead.
You'll get much better value for your money.
What's your budget?

Well, I prefer an integrated solution as it is more handy. Besides, if it was the matter of using a headphones and a mic, I got an old HD590 with a headphone amp I could use. My SE530 could be used too.

However, I was considering either models. Budget is probably enough for the Beyer thou. Just wondering whether it is worth the money over the Senn.

Thanks!

Aug 19, 2008 at 7:01 AM Post #5 of 58
The PC350 is ment to be fairly average in SQ. The Beyer gets my vote
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 19, 2008 at 1:29 PM Post #6 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Townyj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The PC350 is ment to be fairly average in SQ. The Beyer gets my vote
smily_headphones1.gif

Have you tried the Beyer before? Is it comfortable? ( > 5 hours of use with glasses)

Aug 19, 2008 at 6:48 PM Post #7 of 58
They are basically a DT770 and yes they are very comfortable
smily_headphones1.gif
Although i wouldnt go out and spend the money on them when as people have stated u can get a clip on mic and a good pair on stand alone headphones. Thats what ive done with my A900's.

Aug 26, 2008 at 4:14 PM Post #8 of 58
I recently got a pair of these and have been very happy with them. I had a ghetto-modded mic attached to a set of AKG K701s that I ended up replacing with these. For me the pros of having a closed headphone design to provide isolation and the built-in mic was worth it.

The MMX 300s are comfortable for the extended periods of time that I have worn them, but I can't comment on how they'd feel with glasses. The clamping force of closed headphones is a bit stronger than open phones so that may be a consideration for you.

Sound quality of the MMX 300s is great for gaming - I use mine in conjunction with an Astro Mixamp on my Xbox 360. I hear everything in the game and the sound positioning is excellent for distinguishing left-right as well as front-back locations.

In comparison to my ghetto-modded setup, having the mic built-in and having the flexibility to place it exactly where I want is great. Also having one cable is nice as in my prior setup the extra cable for the mic weighed me down a bit.

Good luck!

Aug 26, 2008 at 10:46 PM Post #10 of 58
Thanks for the feedback Aaron and Mpressive.

Aaon, do you use the USB sound card or directly connect to your PC? Any chance you tried something like the Sen HD590? How the clamping force compared to that?

Aug 27, 2008 at 2:52 PM Post #11 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by sdchew /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the feedback Aaron and Mpressive.

Aaon, do you use the USB sound card or directly connect to your PC? Any chance you tried something like the Sen HD590? How the clamping force compared to that?

I have not tried the USB sound card - I use the MMX 300s with an Astro Mixamp (3.5mm connections) connected to an Xbox 360.

I have not used the 590s, though I did try out some 595s a couple years back. I would say that the clamping force of the MMX 300s is a tad stronger than the 595s but not much. (Not surprising as the 595s are open-backed phones, so less need for a tight seal.) If the clamping force is an issue for you, you can always put the phones over a stack of books or a basketball for a day or so to loosen them up.

Aug 28, 2008 at 4:33 PM Post #13 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by sdchew /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks Aaron.

From what I heard, the MMX300 is based on the DT770. I think I'm going to find a place to try it out and see whether I like it.

Thanks again

That's probably correct but I'm not 100% whether there are any internal differences, and I have not listened to the DT770s to compare. It also looks almost exactly like Beyer's HS 200/300 aviation headset with different earpads and the 3.5mm and USB cable connections (instead of 6.35mm/PJ-068 jacks used in aviation).

It does a great job of isolating me from the outside world. Almost too well in fact - I have a one-month old baby and I have to mix in the sound of the baby monitor into my Astro Mixamp (using the input intended for an MP3 player) to make sure I can hear her cry while I game and my wife sleeps!

Please report back if you decide to give them a go. Would love to hear other opinions on these.

Sep 18, 2008 at 6:31 PM Post #14 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by AaronBroad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I recently got a pair of these and have been very happy with them....

Sound quality of the MMX 300s is great for gaming - I use mine in conjunction with an Astro Mixamp on my Xbox 360.

You got my dream setup for the 360. I am getting the A40 mixamp and pairing them with a set of Beyer MMX 2's (235's with integrated mic).

sdchew...I don't own them, but I put a vote for the MMX 300's if you can afford them, but I think the price of the Senns is more attractive and they have been making good headsets for some time.

The only things that worries me about the PC350's is that (1) I THINK they have an inline volume and mute control. Can add static/feedback to the line and make them a bit harder to drive. May not be an issue at all, but I wish they left it off. (2) Plus, they have a high impedance (150ohms) and may not sound so good without some decent amplification. But...you could get a good amp and the Senns for cheaper than the Beyers. Plus, they look a lot better (visually) than the Beyers.

Sep 19, 2008 at 1:37 AM Post #15 of 58
Well, I do have a fairly decent vacuum tube headphone amp. However I most of my previous headphones are Senn (HD590, various PC Senn) and the quality of the padding used be pretty crappy and they then to rot over time. Hoping that the Beyer would be more comfortable despite not having the 'ergo' shape that the PC350 has.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back