Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) vs Philips X2/27 Fidelio
Sep 9, 2018 at 7:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

PROZACvsHEROIN

New Head-Fier
Posting my first thread here as instructed.

I understand that the comparison between the MMX 300 and the Fidelio X2 may be unfair because one is closed-back and the other an open-back (and the former a headset and the latter headphones). Moreover, this situation is further complicated by my desire to purchase a dac/amp.

I intend to use the aforementioned devices on an Xbox One X that is connected to a BenQ monitor via HDMI and occasionally on my Mac and cell phone. I mostly play FPS (I want to hear those footsteps a mile away!) and enjoy the occasional RPG (how much longer do we have to wait for Cyberpunk 2077?!).

HEADSET/HEADPHONES:
I wanted a headset from a respectable audiophile company and thus recently bought the MMX 300 2nd Gen for a total of $255 - they are currently in the mail. Apparently they are also great with movies and music, which is great because I have a big lossless library. However, after many days of research, I learned that in that price range, the Fidelio X2 would be a fantastic purchase, especially with their wide soundstage. Z Reviews even considered them to be a life-changing pair, granted that was three years ago.

Fidelio X2 are in contention because I can get them for around $215. I figured that I could add a V-MODA Boom Pro mic for $30 and end up paying just about the same as I did for the Beyerdynamic headset… but with an overall better experience, whether gaming or not.

DAC/AMP:
The MMX 300 (2nd Gen) and the Fidelio X2 may not need an amp since their respective ohms are 32 and 30, but I thought it would be nice to maximize the audio experience and have a dac/amp for future headphones. My dac/amp research was a rabbit hole of options, confusion, and sheer awe. For the sake of simplicity, I wanted to limit myself to no more than $200, preferably less. I was considering a Schiit Stack or an FiiO E10K, but neither were feeling right. Then I discovered Creative’s new product, Sound BlasterX G6 ($150), which is compatible with the PS4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, and PC; and powerful enough to drive 600 ohms headphones. It has gaming-centric features that I would actually enjoy and from what I read, the G6 is neutral enough for music.

I thought it was the perfect combination I was looking for in a dac/amp but then canceled the order a couple of hours later after reading on one site that it doesn’t support game chat on the Xbox One. I don’t know how that could be since the device has independent inputs for headset and mic, which I thought was awesome for the Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) because it comes with two different cables; separate audio and mic and the standard 3.5mm to plug into a controller or cell phone.

QUESTIONS:
1. Should I buy the Philips Fidelio X2 and attach a V-MODA Boom Pro mic and return the Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) when they arrive, even though the latter boasts a great audio experience and one of the finest mics (some say better than the Sennheiser Game One) on a headset on the market right now?
2. Which one would give me an easier time setting up to get chat audio from the Xbox One X?
3. Should I reconsider the Sound BlasterX G6 and hope to find a simple way of getting chat audio? I know PC gaming wouldn’t have me juggling so many cables in order to communicate with my party. Alas, my gaming community is console-centric.

Thank you for your time.

Nov 26, 2018 at 11:32 PM Post #3 of 3
That is a good price for an X2 and Boom Pro and I personally would consider the X2 to be the more flexible of the two headphones you are looking at. I am no kind of expert on chat audio, so I have nothing productive to add on that topic--sorry. Other than that issue, if I were in your shoes, I would go with the X2--I just think it is the more versatile headphone of the two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back