Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro vs Premium Price
Apr 29, 2011 at 9:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

NullZero

Head-Fier
I'm currently looking into buying the Beyerdynamic DT990, however there are two versions (not counting the different impedences): the "Pro" and the "Premium".  According to Beyerdynamic's website, the Pro has a tighter fit than the Premium version.  If this is the only difference, why does the Premium version cost nearly £100 more than the Premium version on Amazon (for the 250 Ohm impedences)?  Am I missing something else?

Apr 29, 2011 at 9:43 PM Post #3 of 16

Quote:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/513393/guide-sonic-differences-between-dt770-dt990-models-more

Hi, thanks for quoting that.  I have read it, but that hasn't really helped me.  It just says what I have said in the OP, and the side-effects to the tighter clamping force.  If I were to bend the head band so the clamping force has decreased, will I get the same sound as the Premium?

Nov 14, 2011 at 2:21 AM Post #6 of 16
So do the premium have the same driver as the pro models?  I have the dt990 250 that I thought used an older driver.  Is this true?  If so, what are the differences between the two?  I have searched and everyone links to the same old comparison that makes no mention of driver version.

Nov 14, 2011 at 8:22 AM Post #7 of 16
Heya,

For what it's worth, I played around the premium vs pro's on all three DT types, and found the PRO's to be virtually the same, in the sense that I could not justify the price of the premium versions over the PRO versions, and that any sonic difference was likely the housing material--not the drivers or tech. I've suggest saving the money and going PRO, no matter the model.

Very best,

Nov 15, 2011 at 9:42 AM Post #9 of 16

Quote:
Heya,

For what it's worth, I played around the premium vs pro's on all three DT types, and found the PRO's to be virtually the same, in the sense that I could not justify the price of the premium versions over the PRO versions, and that any sonic difference was likely the housing material--not the drivers or tech. I've suggest saving the money and going PRO, no matter the model.

Very best,

Which impedance? 

Nov 15, 2011 at 10:56 AM Post #13 of 16
Quote:
which of these has the best bass?

The "Pro" should have more bass (which you may or may not find better when listening) and less sound stage, due to the more clamping headband that seals the earpads more. The same applies to DT770 and DT880 as well. Other than that, there is probably not too much difference.

Nov 15, 2011 at 10:59 AM Post #14 of 16
Not totally sure about this, but I believe one difference is the Pro has a coiled cable while premium has straight cable.  FWIW I heart my premium DT990/600's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back