Beyerdynamic DT990 PRO vs AKG K-701
Jun 21, 2013 at 9:49 PM Post #16 of 35
Quote:
Is there any problems with build quality of the DT990 Pro?

More suggestions are welcome :)

Build quality to me is fine, I would put build quality is about as good as your going to find with headphones.

Jun 24, 2013 at 6:25 PM Post #18 of 35
I shall be purchasing the DT990's thanks a lot guys, not to choose an amplifier (if anyone can help I have a budget of £80, I can stretch this to £100 if need be).

I have heard the O2 is a good amplifier, however, I cannot locate it anywhere for £100, any ideas?

Also the fiio 10 comes up a lot, not sure about this.

And finally people say I need an amplifier and a dac, what is the difference (if you can offer examples of products).

Thanks!

Jun 24, 2013 at 6:44 PM Post #20 of 35
Quote:
I shall be purchasing the DT990's thanks a lot guys, not to choose an amplifier (if anyone can help I have a budget of £80, I can stretch this to £100 if need be).
I have heard the O2 is a good amplifier, however, I cannot locate it anywhere for £100, any ideas?
Also the fiio 10 comes up a lot, not sure about this.
And finally people say I need an amplifier and a dac, what is the difference (if you can offer examples of products).

The Xonar DGX comes with a built in DAC chip, so all you need is a headphone amp.
The PAV2V (Personal amp.2 Version 2) sells on eBay for $66.30.

For the kind of cash your spending on a sound card and amplifier,
you might look into buying a used Asus Xonar Essence STX sound card.
Much better DAC then the DGX and the built in amplifier can drive 600-Ohm headphones.

Jun 24, 2013 at 6:48 PM Post #21 of 35
Quote:
250 ohm edition btw, unless the 600 ohm is better?

The DT990 Premium 600-Ohm does sound a little better then the DT990 Pro 250-Ohm, but it's not a big price difference.
But I would say just to get the Pro 250-Ohm for now.

Jun 26, 2013 at 5:00 PM Post #23 of 35
Jun 26, 2013 at 9:53 PM Post #25 of 35
Quote:

I have noted your opinion but will not base my purchase off one persons opinion.

Truth is I've never used the PAV2V, just know what others, who owned to PAV2V, have had to say about it.

Try asking these guys about the PAV2V.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/492325/the-pa2v2-appreciation-thread

Jul 6, 2013 at 8:37 AM Post #26 of 35
If you don't want the O2, get the Epiphany EHPO2. Its exactly the same, but from a UK co,mpany and costs £100

Jul 6, 2013 at 2:36 PM Post #27 of 35
Hello HyperBlue,
I have the DT990 Pro and I love them. They are not perfect but have a sound that is very enjoyable. I use them mostly with music but they are quite good with movies and games as well.
I have no complaints about the treble. The bass can be sometimes boomy but not too badly.
I think the distortion is very low because sometimes I get myself listening my music very loud. Be careful to not exaggerate the volume to not damage your hearing.
I use it with Audio-gd NFB-15.1 and Yulong Sabre DA8. Both have enough power to drive them very loud, specially the Audio-gd.
I believe you will like these cans very much.
Cheers.

Dec 18, 2013 at 7:29 AM Post #28 of 35
I find for gaming in general that the Beyer DT 990 Pro that I own is damn near perfect for that, and for movies too they are in my opinion bloody faultless!

It's music where these can be a bit harsh and too treble tipped, I've just recently applied slight EQ on the bass and treble frequencies with a decent reduction at the 6khz range which went down a storm as it retains the openness and detail plus the somewhat natural sibilance of S words but it takes away the excessive harshness of the high ranges which I only hear in music and it otherwise sounds the same as it did before (re punchy and detailed) but with the excessive highs taken out the best way I can describe it is it sounds perfectly natural now for music.

I'd also throw my 2p in to say get the Epiphany Acoustics EHP O2 amp, if you haven't already.

Dec 18, 2013 at 9:38 AM Post #29 of 35
I have DT990pro and they are very good for gaming with, good for movies too. Don't listen to the naysayers who don't even own them. I have had Senn HD595 and 598 and DT990pro are still better than those for gaming due to wider soundstage and wider frequency response, not saying 595 and 598 are not good for gaming too though. DT990pro is better choice than K701 for your needs. Just comfort alone it beats K701 hands down.

Agreed. I own both.

Dec 25, 2013 at 5:51 PM Post #30 of 35
Aaaaaah nice to hear the DT990 pros are good! As I impulse bought some as my first Beyer. I prefer that movie theatresque sound sig. I'd hope they are not as airy as my k701, nor as oily as the koss

Users who are viewing this thread

Back