Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm Review (Rock music, teenage perspective, budget gear)
Jun 20, 2014 at 2:56 PM Post #16 of 43

Most likely you're listening to music for 20-30 minutes at a time. 21oz is insane for a pair of headphones. For me anything over 10oz after 2-3h begins to fatigue. 

no no no,I listenin for about 1-2 hours incriments, the first day I got the LCD 2 I had it on for about 4 hours straight without any issues

I appreciate your skepticism, but I've come to realize that people vastly exagerate how heavy the LCD Headphones are, yea they are heavy are they un comfrotable after an hour, for me they are not. So do not dis credit the purchase of a headphone because people say "It's heavy" IF your skeptical about how comfortable it will be based on weight, try to get a demo

Comfort is how ever important, but for me sound quality is preferance number 1, you will adjust to a heavy headphone, but there is no adjusting to a crappy sound 

Jun 20, 2014 at 3:24 PM Post #17 of 43
DT990's are really underrated on this site I find. There are all kinds myths about them like being overly bright, having a muddy bass or having weak mids. None of them true, unless you use them with an inferior setup. These are headphones in the same league as the K701 or HD650 and above DT880 in some ways (talking from experience of owning them all). With a great amp and source these can be some of the most natural and realistic sounding headphones out there. They actually surpass my T1 in terms of how realistically they reproduce certain instruments, especially the acoustic guitar and drums, they just have that combination of gentle sparkle and pleasant warmth and fullness to the sound, never going over the top in either area. IMHO, they are technically the best headphones out there under 250-300€ mark and definitely far and beyond anything else that sell for around $160. They just require the same treatment as other headphones in their league, and people in most cases just dont provide that because they look at the price of the headphone and assume they'l work great with cheap gear. One more interesting thing is that they sound very similar to K701s, literally the same apart from having a tiny bit more bass, and having none of that plastic tonality in the mids. Its weird how similar they are in A B testing. So if you've heard K701s, imagine them with slightly more bass and slightly better (more real tonality, not as forward) mids and there you have the DT990 Pros.

Would you mind comparing the DT990 and K701 for me? The K701 were going to be my next upgrade but seeing the DT990 are around the same price I'm not so sure now.

Jun 20, 2014 at 3:59 PM Post #18 of 43
  no no no,I listenin for about 1-2 hours incriments, the first day I got the LCD 2 I had it on for about 4 hours straight without any issues

I appreciate your skepticism, but I've come to realize that people vastly exagerate how heavy the LCD Headphones are, yea they are heavy are they un comfrotable after an hour, for me they are not. So do not dis credit the purchase of a headphone because people say "It's heavy" IF your skeptical about how comfortable it will be based on weight, try to get a demo

Comfort is how ever important, but for me sound quality is preferance number 1, you will adjust to a heavy headphone, but there is no adjusting to a crappy sound 

For the longest time I loved my denon 2000 @ 12.3oz and I won't use them due to the weight/comfort. After about 3h I'd have my hair mashed down where the headband was and would stay that way most of the day. Even with extra padding on the headphones would still fatigue. To prevent this every 20 minutes I'd have to move where the headband was or take them off for a break completely ruining the listening experience. The 990's now are the heaviest headphones I can use and enjoy @ 8.8oz. After about 4h they start to fatigue a little but normally at that time I'm ready to get off the computer. 

Edit: Not sure how you can exaggerate a pair of headphones that weight 1.3lbs+ (600g). That is ridiculously heavy.

Jun 20, 2014 at 4:33 PM Post #19 of 43

Edit: Not sure how you can exaggerate a pair of headphones that weight 1.3lbs+ (600g). That is ridiculously heavy.

Thats an exageration to me, what I put in bold, I had my D2k Modded with even heavier Wood Cups over the standard plastic cups, same goes for the Lawton Pads I put on them, I didn't notice the weight,

although I guess it's hard to say your exaggerating as we are both different people, For what ever reason I'm not as sensitive to the weight as you and others are

Jun 20, 2014 at 6:29 PM Post #20 of 43
Would you mind comparing the DT990 and K701 for me? The K701 were going to be my next upgrade but seeing the DT990 are around the same price I'm not so sure now.

Very similar. If you really want me to split hairs, then I'd say K701 is very slightly more spacious sounding, slightly wider and more expanding soundstage, 990 is a bit warmer overall, with bit more weight in the bass and a more fluid, wet bass, while 701 has a slightly tigher, less impactful and drier bass. Mids are more natural on 990s, things just sound more realistic on then, but 701 has a bit more forward mids. But again, taking 990s off and putting on 701s sometimes makes them sound a bit plasticly and hollow. In terms of resolution, 701s maybe have a slight edge, but details pop out more clearly trough the 990s. One area in which 701s are ahead a bit more is their speed and dynamics, area in which I'd put them above T1s as well, but thats rarely noticeable and difference is small again. Overall, I prefer 990s for vocal, acoustic, live recordings, rock, metal, etc. 701s are better for electronic, orchestral, classical, chamber and similar music. Although I want to repeat, I'm splitting hairs here, they're remarkably similar. If I had either, I wouldnt buy the other as well.

Oh and 990s are better made, much more solid and much more comfortable, typical Beyer, and Akg doesnt have a chance in this area.

I'd just like to add that they are both excellent headphones that need excellent gear to sound the best they can, and this is especially true for the K701's. They're the hardest to drive headphone I have. T1's are a joke compared to them, they sound good even out of an iPhone, but K701's can really stink without a proper amplifier. DT990's like amplification too, and they both like a good source. They can hit way above their price points. There are things I prefer on both DT990s and K701s over the T1's, and none of them are outclassed by T1's out of a $2000 headphone amp and DAC setup. It's hard to choose a winner, it really depends on the music I listen to at the time and the mood I'm in. Technically speaking, I think K701's might be a hair ahead, but overall, DT990s sound that tiny bit more natural and realistic to me, they have a more "3D" soundstage and more coherent sound, like every part fits exactly where it should, with any music I try on them, while K701's can be hit or miss in some cases. Sometimes they can sound mediocre, sometimes they are mind blowing, and they're usually mind blowing with music I'd never assume they work great with, like electronic stuff from Infected Mushroom. On the other hand, I've never heard the guitar at the beginning of "Pink Floyd - Wish you were here" sound as tactile, convincing and real as out of the DT990's...

Jun 20, 2014 at 7:00 PM Post #21 of 43
Very similar. If you really want me to split hairs, then I'd say K701 is very slightly more spacious sounding, slightly wider and more expanding soundstage, 990 is a bit warmer overall, with bit more weight in the bass and a more fluid, wet bass, while 701 has a slightly tigher, less impactful and drier bass. Mids are more natural on 990s, things just sound more realistic on then, but 701 has a bit more forward mids. But again, taking 990s off and putting on 701s sometimes makes them sound a bit plasticly and hollow. In terms of resolution, 701s maybe have a slight edge, but details pop out more clearly trough the 990s. One area in which 701s are ahead a bit more is their speed and dynamics, area in which I'd put them above T1s as well, but thats rarely noticeable and difference is small again. Overall, I prefer 990s for vocal, acoustic, live recordings, rock, metal, etc. 701s are better for electronic, orchestral, classical, chamber and similar music. Although I want to repeat, I'm splitting hairs here, they're remarkably similar. If I had either, I wouldnt buy the other as well.

Oh and 990s are better made, much more solid and much more comfortable, typical Beyer, and Akg doesnt have a chance in this area.

I'd just like to add that they are both excellent headphones that need excellent gear to sound the best they can, and this is especially true for the K701's. They're the hardest to drive headphone I have. T1's are a joke compared to them, they sound good even out of an iPhone, but K701's can really stink without a proper amplifier. DT990's like amplification too, and they both like a good source. They can hit way above their price points. There are things I prefer on both DT990s and K701s over the T1's, and none of them are outclassed by T1's out of a $2000 headphone amp and DAC setup. It's hard to choose a winner, it really depends on the music I listen to at the time and the mood I'm in. Technically speaking, I think K701's might be a hair ahead, but overall, DT990s sound that tiny bit more natural and realistic to me, they have a more "3D" soundstage and more coherent sound, like every part fits exactly where it should, with any music I try on them, while K701's can be hit or miss in some cases. Sometimes they can sound mediocre, sometimes they are mind blowing, and they're usually mind blowing with music I'd never assume they work great with, like electronic stuff from Infected Mushroom. On the other hand, I've never heard the guitar at the beginning of "Pink Floyd - Wish you were here" sound as tactile, convincing and real as out of the DT990's...

How do both compare to the HD558,which I notice are in your inventory.

Jun 20, 2014 at 10:27 PM Post #22 of 43

I agree with you, but comfort (or the lack of) can be very difficult sometimes.  When I'm very immersed in a song or artist, it's upsetting to have to take off the phones because your ears hurt.
Anyhow, this is a great review Tanner.  It's especially great writing especially considering that you're only 16.  In this day/age, good writing seems to be taking a back seat in schools.

By the way, could someone please tell me the difference between the DT990 Pro and the DT990 Premium?  I own the Premium 250 ohm version.

Jun 20, 2014 at 10:29 PM Post #23 of 43

I agree with you, but comfort (or the lack of) can be very difficult sometimes.  When I'm very immersed in a song or artist, it's upsetting to have to take off the phones because your ears hurt.
Anyhow, this is a great review Tanner.  It's especially great writing especially considering that you're only 16.  In this day/age, good writing seems to be taking a back seat in schools.

By the way, could someone please tell me the difference between the DT990 Pro and the DT990 Premium?  I own the Premium 250 ohm version.

In short nothing, only the Price and the Resitance, there is really no reason to  own the DT 990 600 ohm unless you REALLY like how they look, and want to pay $300 for them :/

just stick with the $150 pros 

Jun 20, 2014 at 10:40 PM Post #24 of 43
  In short nothing, only the Price and the Resitance, there is really no reason to  own the DT 990 600 ohm unless you REALLY like how they look, and want to pay $300 for them :/

just stick with the $150 pros 

Mshenay, the pair of DT990 pros that Tanner116 owns are the 250 ohm versions (it shows as such in the pictures even though it wasn't mentioned in the review). 
I don't want to derail this thread, but could someone please (in short) tell me the major difference or reason for the different resistances of headphones?  (or provide a link to an article that will explain the whole resistance thing in headphones)   *thank you*

Jun 20, 2014 at 11:07 PM Post #25 of 43
Mshenay, the pair of DT990 pros that Tanner116 owns are the 250 ohm versions (it shows as such in the pictures even though it wasn't mentioned in the review). 
I don't want to derail this thread, but could someone please (in short) tell me the major difference or reason for the different resistances of headphones?  (or provide a link to an article that will explain the whole resistance thing in headphones)   *thank you*

Basically, the more resistance (higher ohms), the harder the pair of headphones is to power. I've done quite a bit of research on the sonic differences between the 600 ohm DT990 and the 250 ohm that I have, and the consistent thing that was said is that there is very little difference sonically between any of the DT990 models. I don't know how much power is needed to drive the 600 ohm model, but I can tell you that my iPhone 4S drives my DT990 just fine, though my amp does benefit the overall sound.

Jun 20, 2014 at 11:19 PM Post #26 of 43

I can help with that

higher ohms gives you more resistance to Voltage, the 600 Ohm DT 990 has a black back ground because it's more resistant to voltage. Voltage is what is increased within an amp to provide fore volume, the current supplied by an amp is constant, and headphones with high impedances do not need a lot of Current, but it's also a little harder to drive since it needs more volts, where as the 250 Ohm [while not entirely as black] is easier to drive, and MUCH cheaper. For $150 the DT 990 is a great buy! For $379 [the price of the Preuim Dt 990 600 ohm] You could buy an HE 400, or even an HE 4 [both of those need an amp ofc]

but honestly there is no reason to get the 600ohm Preuim DT 990s, the up charge for a "blacker background" isn't worth it... AT ALL. IF you want something with a black background over the DT 990 then just get something like an HE 400, and if you get the DT 990 600 ohm and pair it with a cheap amp, there's is still a chance your going to get some un wanted noise,

SOnically, there is very little if any differance. If you can find a Used DT 990 600 ohm for around $200 that MIGHT be something to consider, but remember a NEW HE 400 [which sonically was for me a total upgrade of the dt 990] is $299 NEW, for $379 NEW the 600 ohm Dt 990 is a total rip :/, how ever on the other side of the spectrum the DT 990 Pro at $150 is a total Steal xD 

Jun 21, 2014 at 2:27 AM Post #28 of 43
How do both compare to the HD558,which I notice are in your inventory.

They dont really compare. 558s are good open back headphones, but they sound very mid-fi compared to 701 and 990. They just cant match the detail, quickness, clarity, separation, etc. Simply put, theres nothing they do as good or better than either of those two, its like comparing 558s to 650s.

Jun 21, 2014 at 3:17 AM Post #29 of 43
They dont really compare. 558s are good open back headphones, but they sound very mid-fi compared to 701 and 990. They just cant match the detail, quickness, clarity, separation, etc. Simply put, theres nothing they do as good or better than either of those two, its like comparing 558s to 650s.

The DT990 and K701 aren't mid-fi? And so it seems the K701 are the better choice for Classical,Jazz and Gaming?

Jun 21, 2014 at 9:14 AM Post #30 of 43

990 pro has a coiled cable and some would say it has a "dated" look. 990 premium has a more updated look and a straight cable. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back