Beyerdynamic DT990 or Ultrasone Pro 900
Oct 25, 2010 at 3:30 PM Post #31 of 65
How would you all compare an HD-595 to a DT990 (600ohm or otherwise)? What should I expect other then more bass when moving from a 595 to a DT990? Any loss of clarity or mid detail?

Oct 25, 2010 at 4:25 PM Post #32 of 65
Sounds perfect 
k701smile.gif

I just received the Matrix  M Stage headphone amp and am loving it, but the K701 still need a little more bass for my liking.  The DT990 sounds like a great bet.

Quote:
Jibbie, I too own the K701 and I think the DT990 is the perfect companion for them. They don't give up much in the way of that lovely clarity, but add thumpy, snappy, and quick bass. For when you want to have fun, I doubt the DT990 will disappoint. When you wanna get serious, you have your K701.
wink.gif

Oct 25, 2010 at 11:20 PM Post #33 of 65

Quote:
I'm definitely looking for a headphone that can spark emotion, as 90% of the Trance I listen to is progressive with female vocals (such as Oceanlab, Above & Beyond, Tiesto, Armin Van Buuren) and I'm glad to hear the bass is awesome.

My Ultrasone Pro750 is amazing with female vocals, and with bass. Keep in mind if you decide to get the Pro900 you will probably have to Kees Mod them to get them to sound best. I would also buy them from ebay instead of amazon if I were you since they can be had for about $300 brand new. I also really want to hear the DT990. . .

Oct 25, 2010 at 11:24 PM Post #34 of 65
I would most definitely buy them off of ebay.  I don't know if I would Kees mod them, however, unless the bass was really ridiculous.  Both the Pro 900 and the DT 990 sound like they would be amazing for Trance, so I'm having a really hard time deciding.

Quote:

My Ultrasone Pro750 is amazing with female vocals, and with bass. Keep in mind if you decide to get the Pro900 you will probably have to Kees Mod them to get them to sound best. I would also buy them from ebay instead of amazon if I were you since they can be had for about $300 brand new. I also really want to hear the DT990. . .

Oct 26, 2010 at 12:51 AM Post #35 of 65
I wouldn't trust ebay when it comes to ANY headphone. There are too many fakes out there, which is why they can be found so cheap on Ebay. I'd get all my headphones from authorized dealers for the piece of mind. If a headphone is sold directly by Amazon, I'm positive they'll be in the manufacturer's list of authorized dealers.

Oct 26, 2010 at 1:06 AM Post #36 of 65
The seller who sells Ultrasone Pro 900's on eBay, buyauthorized, has sold a couple of them to fellow head-fiers, and they report nothing but positive feedback and confirmation that they're aren't fakes.  

If it wasn't for those testimonials, I'd definitely agree with you.  I usually don't mind paying a bit more to buy from a reliable source, but finding a legit Pro 900 at 350 is such a steal.

Oct 26, 2010 at 1:27 AM Post #37 of 65
I think the better question at this point is which headphone will have better synergy with your Matrix M-stage. I have seen very well regarded headphones really clash with a certain amp and vice versa. For example, when I ordered my Nuforce Icon HDP, I was all but convinced to get Beyer 990 600 ohm until I realized that almost any report out there using beyers with HDP reported that they tend to clash together. I went with HD650 because it was unanimously praised as having exceptional synergy with HDP. I found that to indeed be the case after comparing it with numerous headphones. Long story short, I am definitely a firm believer in strongly considering synergy more than just the individual components.

Oct 26, 2010 at 9:26 AM Post #38 of 65
Check out b and h. They have a superb deals on 990s. Particularly the 600 ohm model.

They sound great.  I'll definitely have to order them from Amazon to try them out.

Nov 14, 2010 at 4:58 AM Post #41 of 65
Pro900 owner fronting.  I don't have much to offer as I have not heard the DT990.  Below are few of my Pro900 impressions from other threads. 

Pro900 Vs DT880
Well from other peoples impressions one would think the black Ultrasone were fart cannons, not very well balanced with recessed mids and boomy botton end, with untamed, sibilant highs-  these are not my impressions. In comparrison to the excellent DT880, the Pro900 is simply a superior headphone in most areas.

The Pro900 can produce very deep and powerfull bass, but it is controlled and it is only there when the music has it. It has great bass impact, is not boomy and I find it is very well balanced with the rest of the music spectrum. The mids are as good as it gets, better than the beyer, and better than the AD900 and better than K601s if memory serves me.
They are very detailed (at least as detailed as the beyer) and very musical and enjoyable. The highs are also as extended as the DT880 possibly more controlled and slightly less dominant. The soundstage although not as big as the beyer is exceptional for a closed headphone, very natural, with excellent instrument serparation which enables the Ultrasone to handle complex and busy music with ease. The Ultrasone is overall a warmer sound, but is certainly not dark, it is fairly forward and in no way laid back or boring.  

Pro900 the first time around
For me the Pro900 is as close to perfection as I need. Very full bodied well balanced sound. Excellent detail and instrument separation, powerfull bass when required, sweet mid range and extended but not sibilant highs. I have simply placed felt strips on the external metal housing (without covering any holes), which helped with condensation issues and I think improved the sound. Not sure about the sound improvement as I couldn't be bothered taking the felt off to compare. They sound perfect, so I am not going to "tweak" them any more at all. Simply a beautiful sounding headphone, suitable for almost all genres, well all that I listen to anyways. 

And now
[size=medium][size=10pt]The Pro900 does everything well and some things brilliantly.  The bass goes deep, and is tight and of high quality, not muddy or sloppy.  Some find that the Pro900 is too bass focussed which impacts too much on the mids, I don’t share this opinion.  However, I have Kees modded mine and I prefer this slightly bass tamed sound signature from stock.  There is nothing I don’t like about the Pro900, however I do believe it needs an external amp to perform at its best, not necessarily a powerful amp, but not a DAP alone. [/size][/size]
[size=medium][size=medium][size=11pt]I know this doesn’t help with the question of how the DT990 and the Pro900 compare, but this is all I have to offer. [/size][/size][/size]

[size=medium][size=medium][size=11pt]EDIT: buyauthorized is a legit seller-open boxed in some cases, but genuine headphone.[/size][/size][/size]

Nov 14, 2010 at 12:03 PM Post #42 of 65
Thanks for your impressions Kernmac 
k701smile.gif

Nov 15, 2010 at 12:38 AM Post #43 of 65
Some song I experience distortion on my Pro 900s.  I am really trying to study this and find a cause.

I will be doing a full review of the PRO 900s soon.  So far is very difficult to recommend the PRO 900 OVER a DT-990, except in portability and privacy (the PRO 900 has good isolation but suffers from leakage).  Especially given price to performance comparisons.  The DT-990 is a STEAL!  Having had both the 250 and 600 ohm versions, I can't say that the stories of different sound are any more than user placebo perception.

I would not say that the PRO 900 isn't a great compliment to a collection.  I really need to study this distortion on certain songs, some of which are my favorite.

Nov 15, 2010 at 1:14 AM Post #44 of 65
Glad to hear that the 250 and 600 are virtually indistinguishable. I wish I would have known that earlier as I could have gotten the 250ohm for about 40 dollars less at the time, but I don't regret my purchase. Enjoying my 990s too much to worry about the price difference.

Nov 16, 2010 at 11:25 PM Post #45 of 65
Today I got brand new pair of Ultrasone PRO900 so that i can compare them with Beyerdynamics DT990 Pro 250 Ohm and decide which one to  keep. First of all i want to say that while both can handle full spectrum of sound but they sound totally differently. I don't know maybe it's because PRO900 are closed and have wide response range while DT990 are open (but not as open as K701) plus that patented technology used by PRO900. And while i really like details of highs of PRO900 i prefer the way bass is presented by 990PRO ( it's the way it sounds while i feel PRO900 has more bass but it's not boomy or annoying while 990 has just exactly as needed) . Also i have comfort issue with PRO900 after just couple of minutes of having them on and it takes about 30 seconds for it to disappear after i took them off while i had no problem wearing 990PRO for almost 2 hours. Also be aware that PRO900 comes with short stright cable with 3.5 mm plug and long coiled cable with 6.3mm plug so if you if you need to use long cable but want small plug you have to get adapter yourself. Also PRO900 while costing more twice than 990PRO is made in Taiwan while 990 in Germany plus my Auzen X-Fi Prelude has no problem whatsoever driving high impedance 990 so for me they are the keepers cause everything i was looking for sound quality wise is here

Users who are viewing this thread

Back