Beyerdynamic DT990 good for movies?
Jul 6, 2010 at 10:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

nonsupremous

1000+ Head-Fier
I am looking to perhaps venture into a different movie headphone for a while.  Have used and abused my Edition 8 with movies, but think I would like to give them a rest for a while and give something else a shot. 

I do like my D2000 quite a lot for movies, but I had really used them before I got my Ultrasone's.  I had looked into the AD700 but think they may lack any low end oomph that you would want if watching a movie. 

See bits and pieces on Headfi about the DT990 so I thought I would ask those who have or currently own them. 

Jul 7, 2010 at 8:58 AM Post #2 of 23
Perhaps no one has these cans anymore?  I have read that the DT990 has plenty of bass, but I don't really see tons of info on the rest.  How's the mid range or highs?  What is the soundstage like? 

I have owned the DT880 in the past but sold them because they were too bright.  I like good highs, that are crisp and detailed, but I don't like too much of it. 

Can anyone give me any thoughts on the DT990?

Jul 7, 2010 at 9:18 AM Post #3 of 23
I have a pair right now though at home. If you want I can watch a movie tonight and give you some thoughts on them. I have the 250 ohm Premium model and I found the highs to be too sibilant for my liking (not sure about the 600 ohm, sorry). The soundstage is great and clarity and detail are exceptional.

Jul 7, 2010 at 10:53 AM Post #4 of 23
They make great headphones for movies.  They have plenty of bass, a wide soundstage, and lots of detail.  In a lot of ways, I see movies as less demanding than movies or even video games.  Still, the DT990s are usually the ones I'll stick on for movies.

Jul 7, 2010 at 11:49 AM Post #6 of 23

That would actually be awesome if you would do that.  I think I was looking at the 250 ohm version also.  I'm not really looking to get these for music, just for movies and possibly video games, but mostly movies.
I am up a few hours before everyone in the family every weekend, so I do a lot of tv and movie viewing with headphones on so as not to disturb anyone. 
Quote:
I have a pair right now though at home. If you want I can watch a movie tonight and give you some thoughts on them. I have the 250 ohm Premium model and I found the highs to be too sibilant for my liking (not sure about the 600 ohm, sorry). The soundstage is great and clarity and detail are exceptional.

I had thought about the 880's again for movie viewing, but if I'm remembering correctly they did not have a ton of bottom end.  I don't think the extreme highs of the 880's would bother me so much with movies, but the lack of low end oomph would. 

Quote:
I love the DT880s for movies. They have a very wide spectrum that's great for such purposes.

Jul 7, 2010 at 11:53 AM Post #7 of 23
Quote:
That would actually be awesome if you would do that.  I think I was looking at the 250 ohm version also.  I'm not really looking to get these for music, just for movies and possibly video games, but mostly movies.
I am up a few hours before everyone in the family every weekend, so I do a lot of tv and movie viewing with headphones on so as not to disturb anyone. 

Will do.

They are great for gaming. Not sure on leakage though. It may be too much but I'll have to ask my family on that one. My guess is right now that if your in your own room and the door is closed it shouldn't be too much of an issue but again I'm speculating.

Jul 7, 2010 at 2:23 PM Post #8 of 23
Quote:
They make great headphones for movies.  They have plenty of bass, a wide soundstage, and lots of detail.  In a lot of ways, I see movies as less demanding than movies or even video games.  Still, the DT990s are usually the ones I'll stick on for movies.

What mindplosion

The DT990 is fantastic for movies and gaming. They do leak quite a bit though.

Jul 7, 2010 at 2:36 PM Post #9 of 23
sorry, I meant less demanding than music.  I think these seasonal allergies are starting to affect my brain.

Jul 7, 2010 at 5:04 PM Post #10 of 23
I have the DT990 600 ohm's and have used them for music, movies and games quite extensively. They are bright, but they sound absolutely amazing with a tube amp. Considering mine are 600 Ohm you will want to take my opinion with a grain of salt but here is a short summary of the info you are looking for:

Bass - 9 The bass is low and lush. If you enjoy bass at all, you will dig them.

Mids - 8 Some claim the mids to be recessed. I really don't think this is the case. I just think these are open cans with the bass of closed cans so the abundant bass takes a little away from the mids.

Highs - 8 If I could I would dial down the treble by .5 on these. I don't have problems with sibalance but my tube amp could be helping with that.

Comfort - 10They are also the most comfortable headphones I have ever worn.

I think you will love them for movies! Look at pricing from B and H photo. That's where I got mine. You can even return them if they aren't your cup of tea.

Jul 7, 2010 at 5:41 PM Post #11 of 23
Just tried them out with the Dark Knight on bluray. They really did a fantastic job with it. The added details, clarity, and soundstage really add to the experience. The bass is great. Explosions sound like explosions. Really a novel idea. The highs are a little much as I did note some sibilance but it didn't ruin it for me. It was more of a minor annoyance. I think that you can't go wrong with these for movies.

Jul 7, 2010 at 6:06 PM Post #12 of 23
Thanks for the feedback.  Definitely what I was looking for.

It's so hard to find an open back headphone with a lot of low end thump.  But if you're using cans to watch movies, you really need that hard hitting bass to get the full experience. 

Jul 8, 2010 at 11:57 PM Post #15 of 23
I've never heard the 32 ohm version, but the 600 ohm model is far superior to the 250, to my ears.  The 600s have much tighter bass, clearer mids, and smoother highs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back