Beyerdynamic dt990 250 ohm or Philips fidelio X2 for music, gaming, and movies
Feb 20, 2017 at 8:56 PM Post #3 of 18
  What sort of music do you listen to? Do you have an amp? What source do you use for playing music? What is your budget?

i don't have preference genre, sometime i listen to ballad, sometimes blink, owl city, sometime trap, sometime instrument or a song like future world music, anything depend on my mood.
i plan to buy creative sound blaster e5 for dac/amp 
my budget about 150-200$ max, and for creative e5 of course
i don't have an amp, my source for now are laptop and android

Feb 20, 2017 at 9:42 PM Post #4 of 18
  i don't have preference genre, sometime i listen to ballad, sometimes blink, owl city, sometime trap, sometime instrument or a song like future world music, anything depend on my mood.
i plan to buy creative sound blaster e5 for dac/amp 
my budget about 150-200$ max, and for creative e5 of course
i don't have an amp, my source for now are laptop and android

I have to say, if you go with the DT990 250 ohm you are going to probably want an amp (in addition to the Soundblaster E5) in order to drive them. I just don't think the SBE5 is going to have enough giddy-up to get everything out of the DT990 that you could. That's just me, others may feel differently. But that's one thing. That said, both the DT990 and the X2 have a bass emphasis. The DT990 also has a treble emphasis and some people find it a wee bit peaky at times. I would say that the X2 has the wider soundstage, IMO, but the 990 is more detailed (again, IMO). If the widest possible soundstage is important, then go with the X2. If you like more emphasized treble and a bit more detail, go with the DT990. That's how I see it, anyhoo.

Feb 20, 2017 at 9:57 PM Post #5 of 18
  I have to say, if you go with the DT990 250 ohm you are going to probably want an amp (in addition to the Soundblaster E5) in order to drive them. I just don't think the SBE5 is going to have enough giddy-up to get everything out of the DT990 that you could. That's just me, others may feel differently. But that's one thing. That said, both the DT990 and the X2 have a bass emphasis. The DT990 also has a treble emphasis and some people find it a wee bit peaky at times. I would say that the X2 has the wider soundstage, IMO, but the 990 is more detailed (again, IMO). If the widest possible soundstage is important, then go with the X2. If you like more emphasized treble and a bit more detail, go with the DT990. That's how I see it, anyhoo.

Among your collection, what would you recommend before both the DT990 and X2? At a price point of say £150-200. I mean in terms of what you (personally) think is the better sounding headphone.

Feb 20, 2017 at 10:07 PM Post #6 of 18

nah, this is the parts where i don't understand, i am new on audio world..
people on my local forum keep saying i need an amp if i want buy dt990. he told me to buy 300-500$ amp in order to drive beyer. sbe5 can drive up to 600 ohm, right? why i need another amp to drive 250 ohm dt990?
and i read somewhere, that lg v20 can drive beyer dt990 without amp , so why do i need amp expensive to drive beyer dt990?
and yes i read that treble on beyer dt990 very hard, i have ath ws1100is, and i think the treble in ath ws1100is can be fatiguin if wear too long . which is harder, the treble on dt990 or ws1100is(which i think have treble as msr7)?
i watch sound demo on youtube, and i think beyer a huge soundstage and detail than x2. is x2 has a good positioning for fps?

Feb 20, 2017 at 10:30 PM Post #7 of 18
  nah, this is the parts where i don't understand, i am new on audio world..
people on my local forum keep saying i need an amp if i want buy dt990. he told me to buy 300-500$ amp in order to drive beyer. sbe5 can drive up to 600 ohm, right? why i need another amp to drive 250 ohm dt990?
and i read somewhere, that lg v20 can drive beyer dt990 without amp , so why do i need amp expensive to drive beyer dt990?
and yes i read that treble on beyer dt990 very hard, i have ath ws1100is, and i think the treble in ath ws1100is can be fatiguin if wear too long . which is harder, the treble on dt990 or ws1100is(which i think have treble as msr7)?
i watch sound demo on youtube, and i think beyer a huge soundstage and detail than x2. is x2 has a good positioning for fps?

Because a device (phone, sound card, eg) says it can drive a 600 ohm load doesn't mean it can drive it to get the most out of the headphone. Could you listen to music on it? Yes, but it won't sound the same as with a proper amp. You want to get the most out of your headphones. Now, you  do not need a $500 amplifier. You could probably get by with a $200 amp and it would work just fine. And no amp needed for the X2. Yes, the X2 has good soundstage for positioning information. Very good. As far as treble goes, I have not heard the WS1100iS, sorry. I do believe detail is better on the DT990 250 ohm.

Feb 20, 2017 at 10:56 PM Post #8 of 18
  Because a device (phone, sound card, eg) says it can drive a 600 ohm load doesn't mean it can drive it to get the most out of the headphone. Could you listen to music on it? Yes, but it won't sound the same as with a proper amp. You want to get the most out of your headphones. Now, you  do not need a $500 amplifier. You could probably get by with a $200 amp and it would work just fine. And no amp needed for the X2. Yes, the X2 has good soundstage for positioning information. Very good. As far as treble goes, I have not heard the WS1100iS, sorry. I do believe detail is better on the DT990 250 ohm.

oh ok, so if i want to buy >50ohm impedance, i need to buy a proper amp? and how do i know what is the best amp to drive them? is schiit magni good amp?
actually i will build a gaming pc in the future when i get a job, that is where i can buy a proper equipment. for now i just want to invest headphone first and portable dac/amp temporarily with my saving.
so your advice is fidelio x2? any others?

Feb 20, 2017 at 10:57 PM Post #9 of 18
  Among your collection, what would you recommend before both the DT990 and X2? At a price point of say £150-200. I mean in terms of what you (personally) think is the better sounding headphone.

Hmm. That's interesting. I like both the DT990 and X2--I would be happy with either. The treble situation on the 990 doesn't really bother me. That said, I really like my HD598 a lot. It has a really spacious soundstage and nice detail, so I would probably go with it. Very comfy, too.  ---)

Feb 20, 2017 at 11:00 PM Post #10 of 18
  oh ok, so if i want to buy >50ohm impedance, i need to buy a proper amp? and how do i know what is the best amp to drive them? is schiit magni good amp?
actually i will build a gaming pc in the future when i get a job, that is where i can buy a proper equipment. for now i just want to invest headphone first and portable dac/amp temporarily with my saving.
so your advice is fidelio x2? any others?

I also like the Senn HD598 a lot. That might just be my choice were I in your shoes. Really good for gaming. And music. No amp required. Simple.

Feb 21, 2017 at 1:29 AM Post #12 of 18
  oh sennheiser hd598, is it detachable cable? how big soundstage of hd598 compare to beyer and philips? is it good for movie too?

Yes, detachable cable. Soundstage is extremely wide with good depth.Good for movies.It is IMO the most balanced of the three. Bass rolls off a bit starting at around 70 hz or so. The bass fits with the rest of the headphone, I guess I would  say.. They  are all good hp, you just have to decide which way you most want to go.  ---)

Feb 21, 2017 at 3:18 AM Post #13 of 18
  Yes, detachable cable. Soundstage is extremely wide with good depth.Good for movies.It is IMO the most balanced of the three. Bass rolls off a bit starting at around 70 hz or so. The bass fits with the rest of the headphone, I guess I would  say.. They  are all good hp, you just have to decide which way you most want to go.  ---)

hey i just watch z review again, and i watch senn hd598 sound demo
yes it has huge soundstage like beyer and philips. in term of wide they have similar wide soundstage but not as akg k7 series, q701, and k612 pro in my ears. (am i wrong?)
but in term of depth i think beyer has laid back sound, i feel like i sit at the middle seat like a mafia boss watching concert alone at the concert hall. haha
i don't know the amount of bass of those 3 headphones, since i hear with my solid bass ws1100is, i feel they have a lot of bass when i watch the sound demo.
speak of akg i think they have wider soundstage than those 3 headphone(correct me if i wrong), are they good for gaming music and movies? 

Feb 21, 2017 at 3:57 AM Post #14 of 18
damn, why do i find z channel..
it makes me even confuse
when i first want to buy headphone , i just thought to music. and gaming headset came across my mind since i want to build gaming pc in the future, so i asked at the local forum and then they suggest to buy audio headphones because gaming headset is crap. they suggested me to bought open back headphones , but they tell me that i couldn't brought open back outside my house, so i don't interested buying open back headphones, at the end i bought ws1100. until z channels appeared in my recommendations at youtube and... boom that blow my mind away when i hear beyer and philips. and now i hear senn and akg. that soundstage huft

Users who are viewing this thread

Back