Beyerdynamic DT990 (250 ohm) and Sony NWZ-X1050, no amp. Will they work together?
Feb 20, 2013 at 3:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

2Stroke

New Head-Fier
I have Sony NWZ-X1050 portable player and I want to buy new headphones. I really like 250 ohm Beyerdynamic DT990. Does the Sony NWZ-X1050 have enough power to play good with 250 ohm headphones? Is that good combination? I have no amp and I don't want to buy it.

Feb 20, 2013 at 4:09 PM Post #2 of 3
Quote:
I have Sony NWZ-X1050 portable player and I want to buy new headphones. I really like 250 ohm Beyerdynamic DT990. Does the Sony NWZ-X1050 have enough power to play good with 250 ohm headphones? Is that good combination? I have no amp and I don't want to buy it.

Heya,

Can't really find the output specs on that DAP. But my gut says it will work, but probably not superbly. The 250ohm is a hefty amount of resistance and requires a good amount of voltage. You'll probably be able to listen with the volume maxed out. But without the voltage/current at that impedance, you might not be getting everything from your DT990, the bass will be the first aspect to suffer as it requires more energy to produce. Beyers are generally fairly efficient and can run from nearly anything. But I won't endorse it working well from that DAP without knowing it's voltage output in comparison to some other DAPs that I know work decently without amps.

A used Fiio E11 or a JDS Labs CMOY would make this a non-issue. Even though you don't want to buy one or use one.

Very best,

Feb 21, 2013 at 1:42 AM Post #3 of 3
I don't know if this help, but with my 32 ohms UE triple fi.10, I usually have the volume of X1050 set to something under 1/3 of volume bar (8-9 volume points of 30), so it can go more than 2x more louder. Does that mean it will have enough power to make play 250 ohms 990s good?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back