Beyerdynamic DT880 / now Rega Ear + Corda Arietta
Apr 13, 2007 at 9:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

NilsTentacles

100+ Head-Fier
I recently changed my headphones from Sennheiser HD600 to Beyerdynamic DT880, and the first impression was *wow* but I'm starting to find this combination very fatiguing. the sound is more dynamic and clearer now which I like, but also very 'energitic' and 'aggressive'.

I'm thinking maybe Rega Ear was a good match with HD600, but DT800 would be better with another headphone amp.

any suggestion for a better matching amp? I'd prefer something without tubes.

Apr 13, 2007 at 9:56 PM Post #2 of 29
I really disliked the EAR - maybe it isn't a good match with Beyers. What is your price range?

Apr 13, 2007 at 9:59 PM Post #3 of 29
I think I could stretch to $ 420 for something used.

it seems to be alot of US sellers on this site, and the amp would have to work in a swedish outlet, I don't know how these things work but I guess it could be sorted out with some kind of adaptor.

Apr 13, 2007 at 10:03 PM Post #4 of 29
Well the Meier Audio Corda Aria is a great amp with Beyer headphones. Use it with crossfeed and I doubt you'd find the combination agressive or fatiguing.

Apr 13, 2007 at 10:08 PM Post #5 of 29
thanks. I was also recommended Musical Fidelity X-Can which is in the same price range as new. both of them would have a reasonable second hand price.

edit:
I like that Cordia Aria is solid state, but I would not have any use of the DAC.

Apr 14, 2007 at 1:14 AM Post #6 of 29
If you don't need a DAC then Meier's Arietta might be a good choice.

Apr 14, 2007 at 1:31 AM Post #7 of 29
The DT880 (2003) did sound quite nice with the Aria, but I still ended up EQing the highs down just a bit. I didn't find them aggressive at all, especially not with crossfeed engaged, but they could be just a very little bit piercing/sibilant at times. This was less so than with the 336i, just for reference.

Apr 14, 2007 at 12:50 PM Post #8 of 29
I agree with you that the DT880's are best with tube amps, but the OP specifically requested solid state.

Apr 14, 2007 at 3:30 PM Post #10 of 29
Click on "other home rig" in Skylab signature - shows his pairing of dt880 and ASL amp...............one of the best-known companions for 880's has been EarMax Pro, but that is about double your budget.........the ASL is available at about your budgetary max..

Apr 14, 2007 at 4:25 PM Post #11 of 29
oh that looks nice, I didn't know ASL made headphone amps. the market for this isn't very big in Sweden. I have no idea where to buy this new if I look for swedish retailers, I think my only chance to get one is from the second hand place here.

it looks by Skylab's picture as the amp is driven by a power station, is it necessary to buy such a unit to drive the amp?

Apr 14, 2007 at 5:03 PM Post #12 of 29
What you see there comes with the ASL OTL mk III - it's the power supply for that amp. It's physically separate, but it's part of the amp. And the ASL (with Electro-Harmonix tubes) sounds just heavenly with the DT880's. It's a great combination. And the only "hassle" with the ASL is just like any tue amp, you want to turn it on about 30 mins before you use it to have it sound it's best.

Apr 14, 2007 at 5:08 PM Post #13 of 29
thanks again for your help! I've put an ad on this forum, and maybe I get lucky. but if I get no replies do you know where I can buy this new or used in Europe (saves me from customs fee)?

Apr 14, 2007 at 6:12 PM Post #14 of 29
You might want to look here http://www.tubehifi.com/ and click distributor button. They list people in Denmark, Norway, and Germany etc.........as well as HongKong.

Apr 15, 2007 at 12:58 AM Post #15 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree with you that the DT880's are best with tube amps, but the OP specifically requested solid state.

Wait, who was recommending a tube amp? I was saying that the 880 still were a touch bright for my tastes with the Aria, but less so than with the 336i. The 336i made the 880 too aggressive and a lot brighter (for my taste, anyway).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back