Beyerdynamic DT880 600 Ohm + Xonar STX
Dec 26, 2011 at 3:59 AM Post #3 of 7
Quote:
How well would they work together? Or should I dongrade to the 250 Ohms. I can also upgrade the OPAMP if that will help. Help please
smily_headphones1.gif

Replacing the op-amp will probably not make much useful difference, at least not as far as driving the headphone is concerned. At best it would very slightly change the sound. If you already have the 600 Ohm version, then there is not much point "downgrading" to the lower impedance. It should work reasonably with the STX (some will obviously disagree and suggest expensive tube amplifiers), at least to the extent of being at least as good as the 250 Ohm version - if you do not like one with the STX, chances are that you will not like the other, either. If you do choose 250 Ohm, then you have the option of buying the "Pro" version that is somewhat cheaper, and has the same drivers, but there are a number of differences which you may or may not find to be disadvantages: slightly higher clamping force (not necessarily a bad thing, especially after being used for a long time, some people actually find the clamping of the Premium version not tight enough to have a good fit) that also changes the sound to some extent - more bass and less sound stage, a coiled cord, a different headband (replaceable padding), and a few small aesthetic differences.

Dec 26, 2011 at 4:05 AM Post #4 of 7
I listen to old school hip/hop, hard trance, techno, instrumentals, and sometime classical. Do you think I should get the Pro's instead? I do like the coiled cable and sound stage isn't that big of a deal since I am listening to electronic really. Clamping force doesn't bother me since I like it tight.

Dec 26, 2011 at 6:11 AM Post #7 of 7

Quote:
Too much bass is not likely to be a problem with any version of the DT880 when listening to hip/hop, hard trance, or techno.

+1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back