Beyerdynamic DT831: Best closed cans?
Jul 18, 2001 at 7:39 PM Post #16 of 34
To me DT831 are the best closed cans, at least below 300 USD. I haven't heard the etys and Sony CD 1700 somehow did not impress me that much. Here is my recipy: Reasonably smooth CDP+Creek OBH11+120 ohms adaptor+DT831 make an excellent system. Perhaps the smooth treble of the Creek helps to control tre Beyers.
I've been enjoing mine for about 6 months now and wouldn hesitate to recommend them to anyone.

Jul 18, 2001 at 8:41 PM Post #18 of 34
I would also like to know how the DT831 compare to the also closed 770PRO(250ohm).Some reviewers say that the 770pro's have less of the highly detailed treble,making it sound more smooth.And that they also have a much more pronounced bass(cause of their bass reflex design).
Someone, please post a review on the 770PRO's.ex.: how they compare with other closed phones such as the mdr v6,DT250 DT831.

Jul 18, 2001 at 9:05 PM Post #19 of 34
I would also like to know how the DT831 compare to the also closed 770PRO(250ohm).Some reviewers say that the 770pro's have less of the highly detailed treble,making it sound more smooth.And that they also have a much more pronounced bass(cause of their bass reflex design).
Someone, please post a review on the 770PRO's.ex.: how they compare with other closed phones such as the mdr v6,DT250 DT831.

Jul 19, 2001 at 12:19 PM Post #20 of 34
ded,
you really want to know, don't you. Remarkable persistence.

My Beyer DT 770 Pro - 250 Ohms have just arrived and results after one hour of listening are extremely promising. They are easily better than the bright 831s or 931s, and there is less colouration than with the 250-80. The 770s have very smooth mids and a tonal balance that might even be more convincing than that of the DT 990 Pros- 250. There is a little less air and a less detailed soundstage from the 770s but even deeper bass and probably even less fatiguing treble. Instruments seem to have even more immediacy and presence with the 770s, and this does not only apply to bass-heavy instruments as double bass, electric bass or drums but to trumpets or trombones as well. These are impressions after one hour with a brand-new pair, that hasn't even been broken in. So far, the 770s are very enjoyable. Stay tuned.

Jul 19, 2001 at 10:07 PM Post #21 of 34
Alright, duh, I tried swapping out the pads of the DT770's with the HD250II's, and...it worked! Sweet! A little loose (I have to hold them in place when taking them on and off), but...sweet! I am in heaven! I love this forum! Thanks guys!

Not sure if it's changed the sound yet, if so, not much...(listens)...sounds as smooth as it did before...(listens)...the bass is still there...maybe the littlest of bits rolled off on top, but could be my imagination, it's _that_ minute...yes, I think everything is going to be fine...I'll have to find some nice phat techno with some raw sawtooth waves...I wouldn't want to travel with them this way, but...I'll come up with something (maybe put some cloth on the old ones and put them back).

FYI -- they hold on to the headphone differently, which is why they won't stay in. The Beyer's hold on by the outer edge, the Sennheiser's hold on quite a bit more closely in...do all Sennheiser's pads hold on the same way? Maybe I should just get the cloth pads for one of the higher up Sennheiser models?

Also, be careful -- at one point, I almost took the driver out of the cup instead of the pad off the driver/cup assembly...

Edit: Highs are not rolled off at all.

Jul 20, 2001 at 6:10 AM Post #22 of 34
Hey Tomcat,cool review!
I have a friend that lives in Germany(Frankfurt ).She is coming here to Brazil in September.Could you give me some info(store name,telefone) on where she can find the 770PRO's(250OHM) for the best price?

Jul 20, 2001 at 6:38 AM Post #23 of 34
Hey Tomcat,cool review!
I have a friend that lives in Germany(Frankfurt ).She is coming here to Brazil in September.Could you give me some info(store name,telefone) on where she can find the 770PRO's(250OHM) for the best price?

Jul 20, 2001 at 6:42 AM Post #24 of 34
Tomcat,

I wrote Todd at HeadRoom today to ask him about those DT-770 250-ohm'ers you mentioned. I have a pair of DT-990 250-ohm'ers on order there already, but I'm thinking of trying both, and then picking a winner.

I just wrote Todd tonight, so I haven't received a response yet. If they have the DT-770 250-ohm phones in stock, I may put my order in for a pair immediately.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Jul 20, 2001 at 12:25 PM Post #25 of 34
ded,
I am glad you liked the review!
cool.gif

ded,
I am really glad you liked the review!
biggrin.gif

I ordered the Beyer 770s on-line, because it is very difficult to find any of the professional Beyerdynamics in stores, even in Germany. I guess their virtues aren’t obvious enough for them to be easily marketable.

Jan Meier in Uttenreuth sells the 770Pros-250 for a decent price: DM 300, shipping included. But since he doesn’t exactly recommend them, I went with an on-line shop that did: Musik-Service Hofmann in Aschaffenburg. Within 20 hours after ordering by phone, “Deutsche Post” delivered them to my office. The guy at “Musik-Service” had said that it would take 48 hours at the most. The price including shipping was DM 299. That is roughly equivalent of 140 US-Dollars.

jude,
Trying both the 990 and 770 is a very good idea. I am very curious what your impressions will be.
Now, if we could only convince you of the necessity of trying tube amplification… Come on, jude, you are a self-confessed tweaker, aren't you? Those people aren't afraid of nothing!

Jul 20, 2001 at 6:18 PM Post #27 of 34
I thought that the 831 was the best sealed can (Headroom says so, as do many reviews here on head-fi) but this thread seems to have abandoned the 831 in favor of the 770.

Which is the better closed phone? I am posing my question with both money a concern, as well as a possibly different answer if money is not a concern.

Jul 21, 2001 at 12:27 AM Post #28 of 34
grrr223, back on topic, yep, the 831s are best for classical and jazz, but only okay for rock. The 770s are more for monitoring than pleasure listening...
wink.gif

Jul 24, 2001 at 5:15 AM Post #30 of 34
Ok, so it looks like I'm going to have to get a pair of 831's, 990's and ask for the 770's back (I sent them back after reading reports that the 831's are better)

For those who have the 831's and the 770's, which would you say is overall better for non-classical music, which is pretty much the only genre I don't listen to on a regular basis.

So I'm talking for games, rock&roll, trance/goa, synthpop, industral etc.

BTW, I'm going to try the 990's purely because I've never heard open cans before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back