Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250ohm Impressions Thread
May 12, 2017 at 10:00 PM Post #421 of 464
So I tried out the HM5 pads again ... yuck.

Picked up the Shure 1540 pads and wow they are comfortable, very warm however ... sweating comes over time but I think its worth it.

What's the next step in modding? I already have the mass loading kit from custom canz. Would recabling be worth the investment or should I be stepping up to a set of closed back Fostex?

May 13, 2017 at 1:43 AM Post #422 of 464
Hi Guys,

So I am coming from the 280 pro's. Which I liked for listening to stuff because they worked and were clear and weren't fatiguing. Nothing excited me about them but I was happy with them. I had them from age 14 to 23 until they broke.

I had my eyes set on the 770's. For some reason I just really want these. I have heard about them for the longest time. I like that they get a lot of good feedback and that they are durable. I've seen lots of other headphones that have gotten a good rap but look fragile and not as comfortable.

My only reservation is my concern with the high end. I'm not crazy about knives in my ears if you get what I mean. I could definitely handle more high end than what the 280s have. But I do value warmth.

Even though people have described the highs on these as sharp. I'm almost willing to deal with it just for the peace of mind in regard to the durability and comfort of these. I know some of you have modded them. IDK I guess I am just looking for someone who can relate to sell me on these or point me in another solid direction. Its important to me to get a pair of cans that have a consistently good rap...are durable and comfortable. the 600/650's sound awesome but I just need my headphones to be closed.

May 13, 2017 at 6:34 AM Post #423 of 464
I just got my 770. Incredible sounding headphones. The soundstage of these is like no other headphone I've ever owned. The bass is pretty powerful too. Very punchy. I definitely wouldn't want the 80 ohm version as I've heard they're even more bass heavy.

May 15, 2017 at 5:42 PM Post #424 of 464
The 80-ohm booms more, but 250-ohm bass is better quality. Also, the lower the impedance, the closer the headphone gets to a slow and syrupy Sennheiser-like sound, from what I observe between the 16-ohm, 80-ohm, and 250-ohm DT770 headphones. So the 250-ohm version has the snappiest and liveliest sound of the 770 headphones, I feel.

Jan 21, 2018 at 6:41 AM Post #427 of 464
After a lot of deliberation I finally gave in to the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250 Ohms. Been listening to it since the last 6 hours connected to a Fiio E12 Mont Blanc portable amp. Very happy with the sound signature, very different from what I was listening to since the last 5 years. Really interesting switching between the T5Ps and 770s, hahaha, switching between different levels of instrument separation, resolve and bass.

Happy listening!

Post 50 Hrs Burn In

It's overwhelming listening to three Black Sabbath albums, Black Sabbath, Paranoid and Heaven & Hell through the DT 770 Pro 250 Ohms with Chord Mojo. No disrespect, but, I had read multiple articles from audiophile luminaries about the treble harshness of these headphones (which had led to my inconclusiveness in buying them for months) and I couldn't disagree more. The treble sections were so clear and detailed clubbed with the pristine bass sections, this inexpensive (relatively) headphone is very engaging and is an absolute delight.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2018 at 5:58 AM Post #428 of 464
2EEA4D4C-236C-40DD-8F84-008954D54129.jpeg
Had been eyeballing on 770s for a while, got a pair of 250 Ohm version to pair them with my 250 Ohm 880s

Feb 21, 2018 at 11:18 AM Post #429 of 464
It is a great headphone, sadly mine will be sold soon (with some nice mods done as well like XLR, etc) as I acquired a pair of Shure 1540's. While the 770 is great, the 1540 is more flat minus a subbass hump.

Feb 22, 2018 at 2:04 AM Post #430 of 464
It is a great headphone, sadly mine will be sold soon (with some nice mods done as well like XLR, etc) as I acquired a pair of Shure 1540's. While the 770 is great, the 1540 is more flat minus a subbass hump.
I also considered SRH840s versus 770s, but in the end I ‘think’ going with beyer should be more reliable in a long term (ie durability, spare parts, etc at least in my country), since I’m going to use them poorly on-the-go.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2018 at 4:18 PM Post #431 of 464
Then the 770 is perfect

Feb 22, 2018 at 5:32 PM Post #432 of 464
After a lot of deliberation I finally gave in to the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250 Ohms. Been listening to it since the last 6 hours connected to a Fiio E12 Mont Blanc portable amp. Very happy with the sound signature, very different from what I was listening to since the last 5 years. Really interesting switching between the T5Ps and 770s, hahaha, switching between different levels of instrument separation, resolve and bass.

Happy listening!

Post 50 Hrs Burn In

It's overwhelming listening to three Black Sabbath albums, Black Sabbath, Paranoid and Heaven & Hell through the DT 770 Pro 250 Ohms with Chord Mojo. No disrespect, but, I had read multiple articles from audiophile luminaries about the treble harshness of these headphones (which had led to my inconclusiveness in buying them for months) and I couldn't disagree more. The treble sections were so clear and detailed clubbed with the pristine bass sections, this inexpensive (relatively) headphone is very engaging and is an absolute delight.

If you get a chance would you please go in to more detail on the difference in sound between the T5p gen 2, and the dt 770?

Feb 26, 2018 at 2:20 PM Post #433 of 464
If you get a chance would you please go in to more detail on the difference in sound between the T5p gen 2, and the dt 770?

The most audible difference is better instrument separation, resolution, imagine and soundstage of t5p in comparision to dt 770. Having said that, the later is no slouch in the respective fields in view of the price difference. You get a better bass experience with the dt 770 in comparison to the t5p with better bass extensions making the 770s more engaging, I use the t5ps for critical listening and the 770s as a daily driver. I am not very good at explaining the technicality in terms of lows, mids and highs. I find both inclined towards different genres of music basis their strengths. 770s are great for bass rich EDM music, T5ps for jazz and classic rock etc.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2018 at 6:40 PM Post #434 of 464
Here's my DT770s next to my old, and much loved, DT990s. Both pairs are 250 ohm premium versions.
A couple years ago I bought the 990s used and they jumped all over my Senn HD650s. I bought the 770s so I could listen in a room with other family members. Unfortunately, I don't have a portable amp to drive them which means they don't see a lot of action.
TsaBvHH.jpg

Feb 26, 2018 at 9:00 PM Post #435 of 464
Shame! It's nice the 770 are so cheap though

Users who are viewing this thread

Back