Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250ohm Impressions Thread
Jul 7, 2015 at 4:01 PM Post #286 of 464
The thing is is not a question of wich one i want.... In this case the 250ohm is my only option....
Rewinding.... As i said before i mostly use portable sources yes.... If i was going to choose a brand new 770 i would of course be choosing between the 32 and 80ohm version.... Thing is.... The 32', 80 and 250 versions cost around 150 euros new.... I have a proposal for a mint condition 250ohm one with, box acessoriies, invoice (still with 1 year and 3 months of warranty left) for 80 euros.... So basically, the only reason i am considiring the 250ohm one is because i can get it for half the price of any of them new.

About the sonic difference between the 80 and 250 version.... The differences are very noticeable? How stonger is the bass on the 80 and how agressive are the mids and highs on the 250 when comparing botth...? Wich has the more pleasant and best all rounder sound? Specially for pop, rocj, indie and edm (trance and progressive mostly)?

"Aggressive"?  As in how strong treble peaks are?  Every version has a big 9k-10kHz treble peak - in fact, most closed-back headphones do.  It doesn't bother most of us.  Peaks in the upper midrange aren't terribly different between the various versions, and they're not overbearing, at least to me.

Jul 7, 2015 at 6:40 PM Post #287 of 464

"Aggressive"?  As in how strong treble peaks are?  Every version has a big 9k-10kHz treble peak - in fact, most closed-back headphones do.  It doesn't bother most of us.  Peaks in the upper midrange aren't terribly different between the various versions, and they're not overbearing, at least to me.

I meant the treble peaks exactly. :D
Many people talk about them.... is it that noticeable?
Dont know if they are comparable, but for instance i found the akg k550 too steryle and the mdr v6 a tiny bit as well...

SO basically the 80 and 250 versions are similar both in the highs.... the mids are slightly more forward in the 250 right? The extra bass on the 80 when compared to the 250 is very noticeable? With has more body (dont know if thickness is the right term here....) in the overall sound?

Jul 7, 2015 at 7:05 PM Post #288 of 464
  I meant the treble peaks exactly. :D
Many people talk about them.... is it that noticeable?
Dont know if they are comparable, but for instance i found the akg k550 too steryle and the mdr v6 a tiny bit as well...

SO basically the 80 and 250 versions are similar both in the highs.... the mids are slightly more forward in the 250 right? The extra bass on the 80 when compared to the 250 is very noticeable? With has more body (dont know if thickness is the right term here....) in the overall sound?

Yes, as I had said, it is very noticeable how the 80-ohm version has more bass than the 250-ohm.  K550 and V6 are something else entirely.  "Sterility" as I know it sounds something along the lines of dynamic compression of sorts.  Treble peaks have nothing to do with it.  V6 has a problem with peaks in the upper midrange and lower treble, not DT770.  No sterility in any version of 880/990/770 either.  The "extra treble" you'll hear in any 770 version is due to the 9k-10kHz treble peak.  It does no serious harm to the music, in my opinion.

The reduced bass in the 250-ohm version can give the impression of "slightly more forward" midrange, yes.  More mid- and/or upper bass will give the impression of "more body" to the sound, so the 80-ohm sounds a bit thicker as a result.

Jul 7, 2015 at 7:28 PM Post #289 of 464
I think the 250ohm is the best choice for your music preferences. And like I said it's a great price. I would go for it.

Jul 7, 2015 at 7:58 PM Post #290 of 464

Yes, as I had said, it is very noticeable how the 80-ohm version has more bass than the 250-ohm.  K550 and V6 are something else entirely.  "Sterility" as I know it sounds something along the lines of dynamic compression of sorts.  Treble peaks have nothing to do with it.  V6 has a problem with peaks in the upper midrange and lower treble, not DT770.  No sterility in any version of 880/990/770 either.  The "extra treble" you'll hear in any 770 version is due to the 9k-10kHz treble peak.  It does no serious harm to the music, in my opinion.

The reduced bass in the 250-ohm version can give the impression of "slightly more forward" midrange, yes.  More mid- and/or upper bass will give the impression of "more body" to the sound, so the 80-ohm sounds a bit thicker as a result.

So although not as bassy asthe 80ohm, would you say the 250 is still a fun can to enjoy some bass thumping edm (some dubstep for example) like on a ath m50?

(had a m50, loved the bass, but i thought the mids were a bit in the back and that the treble was a bit plasticky/no natural.... so far the mids and highs of the hd25's and the first edition of the over ear momentum are my favourites so far....)
  I think the 250ohm is the best choice for your music preferences. And like I said it's a great price. I would go for it.

I think i am going to take my chance.... :) its a good offer.... i am thinking of using a toping nx1 to drive them since its super cheap on ebay and its being sold in europe...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Topping-NX1-3-5mm-Movil-Musica-Bomba-Amplificador-de-Auriculares-Portatiles-/161267784358?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_186&hash=item258c4f1aa6

.... good or bad choice?

As i said i did note to spend too much on amps....

Jul 8, 2015 at 5:12 AM Post #291 of 464
So I wanted to leave an update on the mod.

First I think it lets the mids and vocals come out a little more so it sounds more lifelike.

Second Cymbals also sound more real than they did before. So the highs are better balanced now.

Third and not least I can listen to music longer without fatigue. I've listened to them for hours no problem. Which is a big plus.

Conclusions: I'm definately happy with the changes it made and I'm definately going to keep them like this. It added many benefits and no drawbacks. So thanks for the tip Matrixnobu. I didn't think I could get better sound than I already had. And like you said it only took 5 minutes! Ok maybe 10 for me because I had to find a real small screwdriver to remove the ring that held the foam in place.
I just bought a pair on fleabay and I've read the thing about the toilette mod just how do you go about doing it ?

Jul 8, 2015 at 3:15 PM Post #292 of 464
I'm planning on purchasing these headphones as an alternative for my discontinued ATH-A700's with self made/sewn pleather pads. My ears get very hot during long game sessions and there aren't any better closed back velour headphones out there for the price than these DT770 pro 250ohm. My A700's are 64ohm, and are currently powered by my Yamaha V571 receiver. I use a ASUS Xonar DX soundcard. I can't find any information on my Yamaha's headphone output power, so I'm not sure if I should get a separate headphone amp or not. I'd spend $100 or less on an amp if I had to. My total budget is $300. 

Do you think that my amp should power a high impedance headphone like these well enough, or should I get a headphone amp. If I should, any recommendations?

link to my receiver model: http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/rx/rx-v571_black__u/

Jul 8, 2015 at 6:52 PM Post #294 of 464
  So although not as bassy asthe 80ohm, would you say the 250 is still a fun can to enjoy some bass thumping edm (some dubstep for example) like on a ath m50?

Every version of DT770 is to me.  And if you go through the countless threads where people recommend headphones for edm, dupstep, and such, DT770 is often recommended, though no specification on which version, so you just get the best one that you can for your budget and equipment.  In your case, you'll be good to go with the 80-ohm or 32-ohm.

But electronic types of music, and more, sound their best on a tonally-balanced headphone, or even K701 which has slightly recessed bass and treble.  I'm in a minority in this opinion.

Also, how are these headphones while wearing glasses? I know the Beyers have a higher clamping pressure than say Senns or my ATH-A700's.

Receivers are often a good starting choice for high-impedance headphones.  Clamp pressure isn't too much with the 250-ohm version and glasses, and it will be a bit less after some usage when the earpads start to shape to the contours of your head.

Jul 8, 2015 at 7:44 PM Post #295 of 464
Every version of DT770 is to me.  And if you go through the countless threads where people recommend headphones for edm, dupstep, and such, DT770 is often recommended, though no specification on which version, so you just get the best one that you can for your budget and equipment.  In your case, you'll be good to go with the 80-ohm or 32-ohm.

Have you ever tried the 32 ohm and compared it to the 80 ohm one? If yes are they similar? From what ive been searching many claim that the 32ohm is warmer and different from all the other dt770s....

Jul 8, 2015 at 7:54 PM Post #296 of 464
  But electronic types of music, and more, sound their best on a tonally-balanced headphone, or even K701 which has slightly recessed bass and treble.  I'm in a minority in this opinion.

Fully agree. I enjoy electronica much more on my HD598 or M4U 1 than I do my Momentums or DT 770 Pro 250Ohm.

beerchug.gif

Jul 8, 2015 at 9:14 PM Post #297 of 464

Fully agree. I enjoy electronica much more on my HD598 or M4U 1 than I do my Momentums or DT 770 Pro 250Ohm.

beerchug.gif

And now the awesome K553, too, for me.  Ever tried the Akai MPC headphone or M-audio's HDH50?

Jul 8, 2015 at 9:24 PM Post #298 of 464

And now the awesome K553, too, for me.  Ever tried the Akai MPC headphone or M-audio's HDH50?

No...not yet. Funny you should mention both the AKG and M-Audio. Them, along with Fostex, have recently caught my attention when I was perusing one of my local Music Shop's headphone selection on-line. Needless to say I am interested.

beerchug.gif

Jul 8, 2015 at 11:14 PM Post #299 of 464

No...not yet. Funny you should mention both the AKG and M-Audio. Them, along with Fostex, have recently caught my attention when I was perusing one of my local Music Shop's headphone selection on-line. Needless to say I am interested.

beerchug.gif

The Akai and M-audio (same headphone actually) are not as high-fidelity as K553 and K545, but their very balanced FR makes them revealing in a different way to the other $200 and under monitors.  You hear more "through" them into a mix than having the mix presented to you by the headphone.  I still prefer DT770, SR325is, K545, or K553 when I just want to have fun.

Jul 10, 2015 at 1:53 AM Post #300 of 464
I just bought a pair on fleabay and I've read the thing about the toilette mod just how do you go about doing it ?

Its very easy. Take off the pads by pulling on one side a bit. Then you will see a ring that holds the foam covering and drive in place. Remove the ring with the help of a small screwdriver or something similar, you will see the notch where you can stick it in to and pry it out. Then I simply put three small circles of tissue about 2 inches in diameter under the foam. And put it all back together.

And experiment maybe for your ears you only need two circle etc...

That's it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back