Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250ohm Impressions Thread
Dec 30, 2014 at 8:45 AM Post #241 of 464
Everything! I listen to Trance and Rock with a little classical and I think the sound is awesome for all the music I like to listen to.

Bass: I think it has the perfect amount of bass (not the exaggerated bass some of the Beats have for example.) but it is solid and goes deep as well.

Mids:  I know a lot of people say the mids are a little recessed but if they are it hasn't been apparent to me. I thinks it's perfect.

Treble: At first I found it a tad too strong in the highs. My ears would get fatigued with long listening session. So I had to modify the phones to get the treble to my liking. But it didn't take a lot of time and I think they are perfection after I did the mod Matrixnobu talked about towards the beginning of this thread. Well worth the effort and I want to thank him for giving me that idea because now I have the perfect headphones.

Sounstaging: I was totally surprised in this area. Not expecting them to be as good as they are. I would say they are pretty close to the T1's. Maybe 90% of the soundstage is there.

Conclusion: All in all for $180 I think they are a must buy. You might not even consider upgrading again once you get them. I haven't yet.

Dec 30, 2014 at 12:10 PM Post #242 of 464

Sounstaging: I was totally surprised in this area. Not expecting them to be as good as they are. I would say they are pretty close to the T1's. Maybe 90% of the soundstage is there.

Conclusion: All in all for $180 I think they are a must buy. You might not even consider upgrading again once you get
them. I haven't yet.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

lol having both T1 and 770 you must have some different cans to mine as I don't think the 770's can hold a candle to the T1's separation and sound staging.

Dec 30, 2014 at 12:22 PM Post #243 of 464
I agree with PBmaster14. You get most of the T1 at a fraction of the cost. Obviously the T1's are a bit more refined. But I find there are many albums that I prefer listening to with the 770's over the T1's. Such as albums from Yello, Nick Warren, Deadmau5, Pink Floyd, Tool just to name a few.

Dec 31, 2014 at 1:33 AM Post #244 of 464
Today I tracked my order and saw that the 770's were delivered from UPS, so I ran home, unboxed them, and plugged them into my laptop for some break-in time and headed back to work. Tonight after dinner I immediately sat down and gave them a listen.... and was quickly underwhelmed. Bright, edgy treble, and recessed midrange on almost every song, along with really sloppy bass (which really surprised me since I was expecting quality bass above all).

So, somewhat disappointed I decided to take them out to my high-end system and plug them into the headphone output of my Tube CD Player (which I've never used), and HOLY CRAP! These 770's came alive! Tight bass, full midrange, and smooth treble... just what i was hoping for. I listened to some of my reference go-to recordings (David Gilmour - Pocket full of stones, Dire Straights - On every street) and I honestly can't believe how good these things sound even without a proper break-in. I am so happy I chose these phones, and I appreciate all of the great reviews here on Head-Fi.

Now I just need find a good bang-for-the-buck DAC/Amplifier for my laptop so that I can get proper sound... the laptop is just a very handy source because its always with me whether I'm at home or at work. I am really shocked how bad the sound card on this brand new laptop is... I mean it sounds like absolute garbage.

Dec 31, 2014 at 3:49 AM Post #245 of 464
Some laptops do have terrible sound cards. I got this friend that got this really expensive gaming laptop but the sound was total crap which didn't make sense. But there you go. Luckily you had good cd player!

Welcome to the club.

Jan 1, 2015 at 3:49 PM Post #246 of 464

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

lol having both T1 and 770 you must have some different cans to mine as I don't think the 770's can hold a candle to the T1's separation and sound staging.

I agree that the T1's have a better soundstage presentation no doubt. They are more precise in their placement of the instruments but the 770's are not far behind. Very close imho.

Jan 3, 2015 at 3:26 AM Post #248 of 464
  Is this the only closed headphones with high impedance on the market?

Most high end headphones, regardless if they are audiophile/premium or professional, are high impedance ranging between 150 Ohm to 600 Ohm.

beerchug.gif

Jan 21, 2015 at 6:23 PM Post #250 of 464
A fiend of mine is currently testing D200 with DT770 250 and DT150 (also 250) and he is totally blown off with the D150 instead the D770. I sent the DT770 saying that he will not want to put them off his head and instead of them he prefers DT150. I am not fimiliar yet with DT150, but will listen them in a month time and will try to compare DT770 vs DT150. Another crackers ?

Jan 22, 2015 at 5:27 PM Post #252 of 464
It will take some time (over a month), but I will drop at least a few words. 

So far I think my D200 is in the best synergy with the DT770 among the cans I got.  I am very ccurious and can't even think how mucm better the DT150 can be. My friend is quite into this world and always, aaways  what he says is true, so...  :) 
There ii another thing. I am expecting A28 to arrive as well, so there will be lots of testing and fun. 

Jan 28, 2015 at 1:56 AM Post #253 of 464
Listening to Yello "Pocket Universe" ..........  Awesome!

Feb 6, 2015 at 5:51 PM Post #254 of 464
Hi guys, I rarely ever post here but I've been lurking a lot lately. I've been looking into upgrading my setup. 

To this day, I have owned a couple of "pretty good" headphones (in my opinion pre-DT770
etysmile.gif
:
* Sennheiser HD555
* Sennheiser HD448
* Shure E2-C IEMs (lost/stolen)
* Ultimate Ears Super-fi 5 IEMs (lost/stolen)

I also own an Fiio E7 DAC/amp, which I used along with my HD448 at work.

Needing a closed headphone for work, I decided ot purchase a pair of DT770 250Ohm after a lots of reading on here and arround the web. So, I've pulled the trigger on those and the much praised Modi/Magni duo. I actually got the Modi2/Magni2 straight from Schiit's website (note to all canadians: they might not be as cost effective to us with the new USD/CAD change rate and duty import taxes - a suprisingly high 75$ CAD, ouch!).

So, yesterday I finally received my Modi 2 + Magni 2 and today came my DT770 250ohm.

So, my expectations were pretty high after reading so many reviews and impressions; I've have always found the Sennheiser sound signature to be pretty awesome for mid and highs, and totally lacking bass. Being what you guys would consider a basshead, I've been disapointed a lot with the HD555 ever since I've had them (5 years+). I've do appriciate them a lot more with jazz/cuban/electronic music, much less so with rock/hiphop/dubstep, because of the lack of deep controller bass.

Now for my impressions. When I toyed around with the modi/magni yesterday with my Sennheiser cans, I was somehow afraid I would be disapointed with the DT770. I truly couldn't see any difference between my Fiio E7 and the modi2/magni2; my set of HD555 is only 50Ohm impedance, so it doesn't really benefit from being amped.

But today, I finally got to give a try to the DT770, and holy crap, those things are simply awesome! I've never listened to anything sounding as clean and tight as those. The bass is so precise, deep and controlled. The highs are at least as good as the HD555 (which I can't A/B test right now, left them home), and those cans truly make the HD448 feel and sound very cheap. It's simply in another league.

The build quality is, like said many times before, very solid. And the comfort is pretty good. I kinda feel like they grip a little too much, but I'm sure it'll loosen up with time. Oh, and the sound isolation is exactly what I wanted: very close to IEMs in isolation level, but much easier to remove/put on the cans; which is a must at work when a coworker needs my attention.

And finally, I can actually appreciate *any* type of music with those cans: from hiphop to jazz, it just doesn't matter. I really don't mind them having a V-shaped sound signature, I guess; I just use the DT770 without any sort of EQ and the sound signature fits my taste. So, that's it for now. I'll post more impressions as they get burned-in and as I listen to them more.

Note : My source is a retina macbook pro, 256/320/16bit mp3s mostly, tons of 16bit lossless FLAC/ALAC, and some 24bit lossless alac rips from SACD. I'm using iTunes on OSX, with the OS setup to output 192KHz/24-bit signal to the modi2 through a fairly cheap USB cable (I got some 32awg coming from monoprice, but I really doupt those make a difference at all). Oh, and I got the Psyst RCA cables from Schiit to to connect the modi2/magni2.

PS: Sorry about my most likely bad or lackluster use of adjectives regarding my audio impressions, I'm french canadian so bear with me :wink:

Feb 6, 2015 at 6:36 PM Post #255 of 464
 I liked my 770s with the modi/magni. I want to marry them out of the bottlehead crack :wink: They scale up extremely well. I think of these as slightly U shaped, the mids flattened out on mine rather quickly but they never reached the level of the bass or treble, just ruler flat. The v moda crossfades are v shaped, I like them but not nearly as much as these. I've sent my backup pair out to have recabling done, all silver. I wonder if I'll hear a difference?? But that's another thread :wink: I bought the hd 650 thinking I was missing something but to me these are the pinnacle of the dynamic driver. This is of course all IMO,YMMV, Yadda yadda yadda

Users who are viewing this thread

Back