beyerdynamic DT770 Clamping
Dec 25, 2009 at 9:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

ArmednInsane

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,

Merry Christmas first of all.

I received a Beyer DT770 Premium (250 Ohm) as a gift from my parents.

I found the clamping to be kinda loose especially on the right cup. I tried adjusting it and whatever and figure that's how it is. However, from all I have read about the DT770, I kinda got the impression that it is supposed to have some kind of clamp and was counting on it.

I read around the web and this forum and everyone says that it is a little clampy and will not fall off easily from your head.

My question is, is this how it is supposed to be? Kinda loose, like Denon D2000 loose or it is just mine? if it is so, anybody got any suggestion on how to tighten the clamp?

Thanks in advance and have a safe holiday

Andil

Dec 25, 2009 at 10:24 PM Post #2 of 9
The core of your dt770 (and dt880 and dt990) is steel - all you have to do is hand-bend it to fit your head to whatever pressure you desire. That is all there is to it. I have posted to this several times thru the last 4 -5 years......it is nothing new. Actually, I prefer to bend it so it just stays in position and nothing more - I do not need the bass to seem more exaggerated.......it is up to you to do your job in this regard.

Dec 25, 2009 at 10:32 PM Post #3 of 9
Yeah, I was considering that, but I want to do that as a last resort, just in case i bent it out of shape too much.

also, I was considering of bending the steel that connects to the cup rather than the headband itself. Is that a good idea?

Dec 25, 2009 at 11:42 PM Post #4 of 9
As far as I know the Pro version of Beyers headphones have more clamping force than their non-Pro versions. It might be that you are confusing what some people said about the Pros with what people say about the non-Pros. Just my guess.
You can always follow BushGuy's advice though. He's got/had tons of Beyer headphones which makes me pretty sure he knows what he's talking about.

Dec 26, 2009 at 2:15 AM Post #5 of 9
Bend the headband ONLY. THIS isn't rocket science.

Dec 26, 2009 at 5:26 AM Post #6 of 9
the higher the clamping, the more compressed the bass and agressive the sound...if the Premium is far less clampy than the Pro, there's a VERY good reason(I've owned several models of the DT770 from Pro/250Ω to Manufaktur/600Ω
wink.gif
)

Dec 26, 2009 at 5:37 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the higher the clamping, the more compressed the bass and agressive the sound...if the Premium is far less clampy than the Pro, there's a VERY good reason(I've owned several models of the DT770 from Pro/250Ω to Manufaktur/600Ω
wink.gif
)

Because the pro is marketed for studio use and they want extra isolation?

Dec 27, 2009 at 7:47 AM Post #8 of 9
Yeah, I decided to not the bend the headband after all hahaha...

I'll see if I can get used to its loose fit and if I can't, I'll just sell them and get the PRO version.

I was kinda disappointed with its bass tho as I heard it is THE headphone for basshead hahaha, but I thought my D2k has more bass impact.

Thanks for your inputs guys
smily_headphones1.gif

Have a safe holiday

Dec 27, 2009 at 10:25 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by ArmednInsane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I decided to not the bend the headband after all hahaha...

I'll see if I can get used to its loose fit and if I can't, I'll just sell them and get the PRO version.

I was kinda disappointed with its bass tho as I heard it is THE headphone for basshead hahaha, but I thought my D2k has more bass impact.

Thanks for your inputs guys
smily_headphones1.gif

Have a safe holiday

From what I gathered on this forum, the older models, not the 2005 models, are considered very bassy. The Pro actually is one of the older models and is considered to have a lot of bass. You have one of the newer models though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back