BeyerDynamic DT770 80 or 250 ohm?
Feb 27, 2007 at 5:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Alives

New Head-Fier
I have finally decided to get some quality cans. I used to listen to my friend's DT250-80's (I think thats what they were). They were pretty good but they didnt sell me as well as I thought they could have.

I recently started a new job that has me working in datacenters and/or I am around loud air chillers and things that make noise. Because of this I was considering some noise cancelling bose headphones. I really didnt want to fork over $350 for some headphones that may or may not be great. I figure some good closed headphones will be almost as good as noise cancelling. I dont really enjoy the way my ears feel when the noise cancelling is enabled anyway... it feels like I need to clear them and it was fairly uncomfortable.

After reading many reviews I had decided to go with the BeyerDynamic DT770-80's. As of right now I will just run them off my computer soundcard and maybe ipod -- we'll see how that goes. I'm not sure if I'll really need an amp or not, but I am interested in either building my own, or just buying something around $50-100. I figure the amp plus the headphones will be the same price as the bose and I will get something of a much higher quality, sound wise and manufacturing wise.

I just recently read about the 250 ohm DT770 2005 Edition. I am almost certain that if I get these I will need an amplifier. They are only about $50 more, and from what I have read the higher impedance should provide a more balanced and better overall sound.

I will be listening to these mainly on a computer and maybe with an ipod if the impedance isnt too much. I will most likely end up getting some type of portable amplifier, but honestly I cant see myself using these headphones in any type of 'portable' use. They will stay at the computer and I will just use cheapo's when I am commuting--at least thats the plan.

I was wondering if some of you could give me some advice...

1) Should I go with the 80 ohms or the 250 ohms? I think I'm set on the DT770's so thats in the clear, but I dont know which model I should get.

2) I will probably buy them from B&H in NYC. The store is a couple blocks from my work. I know they wont let me try them before I buy them unless their policy has changed recently. I know I have 7 days to return them, so maybe I'll just pickup both on the ol credit card and take one back within 7 days.

3) I will probably need some sort of amplifier, though I'd be very entertained and amused if I could try to build it myself.

4) Maybe I should just get some sort of high output soundcard since they will be used at the computer 90% of the time anyway?

Anyway... what are your thoughts?

Thanks!

Feb 27, 2007 at 9:49 AM Post #2 of 21
don't know much about beyer, but i heard there are even the 32 ohm version
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 27, 2007 at 11:59 AM Post #3 of 21
dt880/80 is the version of choice (bass too heavy in 250 ohm version
B&H does not have dt770/80 (dicker on price with either Guitar Center Stores, or one of 2 vendors that carry them on eBay
Deep or busy bass passages require an amp to sound properly
I've used a Portaphile/Elpac at home and that works well wiith them
there is no high-output soundcard to help you - only better/more accurate-sounding card (eg. ESI Juli@). If you buy one for gaming use - choose a basic XFi (do NOT hope they are good for music by buying more expensive version).

Feb 27, 2007 at 12:22 PM Post #4 of 21
I wouldn't choose the DT770 unless you are a clinical 100% Downbeat & Ambient creature. The sound signature with its lacking mids and boomy bass doesn't suit to anything else. Moreover, the DT770 is very picky with amplification (even the 80 and 32 Ohm versions).

You better head for the Audiotechnica A900. Absolutely superior to the DT770, and it can be driven from anything.

Feb 27, 2007 at 2:37 PM Post #5 of 21
Perhaps ignorance is bliss, but I'm running my DT770 out of my Audigy 2 ZS with no real problems. Sure they're a bit difficult to drive, but they sound pretty ok to me. Especially after letting them burn in with some pink noise they really opened up and the bass tightened up quite a bit. If you're going to be running these things through an iPod or sound card, then I would go with the 80ohm version. Even if you are planning on getting an amp down the road, they will still benefit from it.

Feb 27, 2007 at 2:59 PM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by spiN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Perhaps ignorance is bliss, but I'm running my DT770 out of my Audigy 2 ZS with no real problems. Sure they're a bit difficult to drive, but they sound pretty ok to me.

Of course a Chrysler Voyager can be used for full throttle motorways, but a Porsche or BMW remain superior in that field.
tongue.gif

Feb 27, 2007 at 9:16 PM Post #7 of 21
Hmm... this is very useful information. Thank you very much.

I guess I should list what types of music I listen to:
Rap, Hip Hop, Jazz, Classical, Folk, Bluegrass....

I guess what I like the most is good clean sound from instruments and good bass from fake instruments (hehe).

I would also like to be able to drive them from an ipod or standard computer soundcard jack.

I read the big 15 closed headphones review someone posted in pdf form... let me dig up a link... http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=221069

Feb 28, 2007 at 3:02 PM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alives /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess I should list what types of music I listen to:
Rap, Hip Hop, Jazz, Classical, Folk, Bluegrass....
I guess what I like the most is good clean sound from instruments and good bass from fake instruments (hehe).
I would also like to be able to drive them from an ipod or standard computer soundcard jack.

A900. Definetely.

Feb 28, 2007 at 4:25 PM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldn't choose the DT770 unless you are a clinical 100% Downbeat & Ambient creature. The sound signature with its lacking mids and boomy bass doesn't suit to anything else. Moreover, the DT770 is very picky with amplification (even the 80 and 32 Ohm versions).

You better head for the Audiotechnica A900. Absolutely superior to the DT770, and it can be driven from anything.

Well, ask two people, get two answers. I don't agree with this statement at ALL. Nickchen, have you ever owned DT770/80's? They are not very recessed in the mids, and the bass, while impactful, is not boomy. And they are more comfortable than the A900 IMO. And of course, I prefer the sound of the DT770/80 over the A900.

Just different strokes, I guess. But "absolutely superior" - only "In Your Opinion".

Feb 28, 2007 at 5:02 PM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

thats reassuring and what i was looking for...

whats your opinion on the 80 vs 250 ohms?

I have owned them all, and IMO, as far as unmodded/stock ones go, the 80 ohm ones are the best IMO - smoothest treble and the least recessed mids.

I have a 2005 DT770/32 and stock DT770/80 currently, and have owned the older and newer DT770-250's...

Feb 28, 2007 at 5:10 PM Post #13 of 21
yeah I was looking at the 32's as well... how much of a difference is there between them and the 80s? I'd like to use my ipod with them sometimes. I currently use the supplied earbuds... which arent the greatest, but pretty good considering the portability.

Feb 28, 2007 at 5:18 PM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

yeah I was looking at the 32's as well... how much of a difference is there between them and the 80s? I'd like to use my ipod with them sometimes. I currently use the supplied earbuds... which arent the greatest, but pretty good considering the portability.

Not that much, really. Both will do fine with an iPod, both sound better amped.

Feb 28, 2007 at 5:25 PM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have owned them all, and IMO, as far as unmodded/stock ones go, the 80 ohm ones are the best IMO - smoothest treble and the least recessed mids.

I have a 2005 DT770/32 and stock DT770/80 currently, and have owned the older and newer DT770-250's...

How were the 2005 DT770/32 compared to the DT770/80? my point of comparison is the the old DT990 Pro that have now gone to headphone heaven.
frown.gif

Thanks,
Bert

Users who are viewing this thread

Back