BEYERDYNAMIC DT770 (80 ohm) VS AKG K550'S
Jan 11, 2013 at 7:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Hugh 94

New Head-Fier
Hey,

I've narrowed down my options to these two sets of closed back headphones. I need something to represent sound accurately as i do a lot of production and mixing work. They have to be closed back to prevent sound escaping as i use them in classes aswell. I will be using them straight from my macbook and imac's at university so these two seem to be good choices for those criteria. 

I was just looking for some help on which one's to choose...any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks 

Jan 14, 2013 at 5:42 PM Post #3 of 11
Quote:
I've narrowed down my options to these two sets of closed back headphones. I need something to represent sound accurately as i do a lot of production and mixing work. They have to be closed back to prevent sound escaping as I use them in classes aswell. I will be using them straight from my Macbook and iMac's at university so these two seem to be good choices for those criteria. 
I was just looking for some help on which one's to choose...any advice would be much appreciated!

The DT770 Pro 80-Ohm might be a little to bassy for what your doing, but they do put a nice full thump into music.
And I think you would want to use the DT770s with a headphone amplifier to bring out their best anyway.
So the AKG K550 might be the better choice.

Jan 14, 2013 at 5:45 PM Post #4 of 11
ah okay yeah, I was thinking the AKG's might be the best choice in terms of a nice neutral sounding headphone. I might get the Beyers later on this year if i fancy something a bit more fun sounding. Thanks for your reply

Jan 14, 2013 at 5:52 PM Post #5 of 11
the dt 770 pro are the complete opposite of neutral of accurate. they have sharp treble and a LOT of bass with recessed mids. they're pretty fun, but way too colored for any serious work. also as for the fun part, they're also a little too unforgiving of bright/poorly recorded material for their bass to be of any use (ie. if you're a bass head and you wanna blast that new T.I. album, not a good idea).

the k550 are easier to drive than the dt 770 pro, and are quite neutral in comparison. i've heard them a few times and was quite impressed with them. 

Jan 14, 2013 at 7:03 PM Post #6 of 11
does anyone know if the DT770's come with a coiled cable aswell? and im still not sure on either to be honest it seems like the AKG's and Beyer's have good reviews and bad reviews

Jan 14, 2013 at 7:21 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:
does anyone know if the DT770's come with a coiled cable aswell? and im still not sure on either to be honest it seems like the AKG's and Beyer's have good reviews and bad reviews

The DT770 pro (250ohm version) comes with a coiled cable. Not sure about the 80 ohm. 

Jan 14, 2013 at 7:46 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

DT770 Pro 250-Ohm coiled cable
DR770 Pro 80-Ohm straight cable

Jan 17, 2013 at 1:07 PM Post #10 of 11
I've been looking for a new pair of headphones as well... I recently got the DT 770 80 Pro headphones. 
I think they are mostly pretty comfortable, though your ear touches the driver, which can be annoying after a long session with them. Though not too bad... it's just a slight touch in my case... 

I think the sound sounds mostly balanced... With good bass that's not overly emphasized... but I do think the treble is a little too harsh for my taste. Too much volume and they really hurt your ears with a harsh high-end. I guess being of 80 ohm impedence is a good thing... since you won't be able to make them too loud with a portable player. I tried them with my iPod 5.5 gen with the e11 Fiio amp... and I can't drive them much past moderate volume with some songs.... before the treble hurts my ears. 

Because of the price... I'm very hesitant.... but I'm going to give the Sennheiser Momentum a shot.... I may ultimately just end up going back to the Monster Turbine Pro Coppers with those comfy Comply tips.... 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back