Beyerdynamic DT48 A question
Sep 1, 2009 at 8:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

milezone

100+ Head-Fier
Could someone who has experienced both of the new versions of the DT48's (E, and A) share their experiences. Are their significant sonic differences? Do you prefer one? Thank you.

Sep 2, 2009 at 1:58 AM Post #4 of 7
I've just had a pair of DT48a "audiometric" *5 ohms" re-terminated. They are hardcore, but comfortable they are not, and they appeal to an excruciatingly narrow aesthetic preference. Whether their brutally 'neutral' presentation, with capped highs, bass, and tiny soundstage (look at the cups--there's no space for resonance) are your tumbler of absinthe is anyone's guess. Find themhere.

Send me a PM with your email, and I can send you the Beyerdynamic FAQ sheets.

Sep 2, 2009 at 2:53 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by milezone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could someone who has experienced both of the new versions of the DT48's (E, and A) share their experiences. Are their significant sonic differences? Do you prefer one? Thank you.

In a nut shell.. The DT48 a sounds like AM compared to the DT48e, which sounds like FM.. That's the best way to describe them..

DT48 a has muted treble, severe hi roll off, anemic bass, Tunnel vision small sound stage. (stock cable)

To me the DT48a is all about fidelity, for going pleasure. They were made to measure peoples hearing with extreme accuracy. For genres like rock/hip hop, they are very sterile, cold, & most analytical headphone I ever heard. They do 'come to life' with heavy vocal presentation, jazz, acoustics, & classical. They are the ultimate genre specific headphone I know of.

The good.. For a closed headphone with a narrow sound stage, they offer a uncannily good separation of instruments & vocals. Each instrument is distinct, full bodied, & have their own space.. Ultra clean & clear..Highly resolving with great micro detail extraction.. Mid range is ultra life like.. Sound stage is coherent, & instrument placement accurate. IMO. Good tonal balance with a realistic timbre IMO..

The DT48e varies from vintage to new.. The Newer models have a 'thicker' presentation, a blacker black ground that feel's manufactured. Artificially, crisp highs, subtle though.. A bit better treble extension.. But also feels a bit congested next to the liquid like vintage DT48e. The New DT48e models are more 'fun' sounding..

Jan 31, 2014 at 12:48 PM Post #7 of 7
I hope someone can still help with these, as they are becoming hard to find (ordered the E and although the seller had them for delivery in a week, Beyerdynamic must not have them in stock as they told me they were discontinued).

I am wondering how much hard to drive they are, as i already have an Asus Essence One amp (using HD650 atm) and wasn't considering an upgrade, as i really like it's sound.

I know, some people might think I'm crazy even considering these, but I'm building an home studio and I really need a pair of cans for monitoring and recording. Analytical ones, in short.

I was also wondering if anyone has any experience with the Asus and latency.. as I fear this might become an issue. No point in buying an RME Fireface UC (yeah, I'm a PC dude) if on the other end the asus driver is going to introduce latency..

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back