Beyerdynamic DT1350 - A Cursory Review
Apr 19, 2011 at 10:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

informalgear

New Head-Fier
I've never felt compelled to write a review on a set of cans until now and I'm glad I waited...

Following some web pricing errors at B&H and 'apres-error' price correcting, I finally received them today.  Now, without going any further, I want to state for the record that with regards to the sound quality, they are indeed, all that...  If you haven't had a chance to view any of the marketing pics, these cans are akin to the t50Ps and esthetically, they're very similar save for the split head band and the black metal ear cups vs the silver metal ones on the t50P.  The packaging is of a standard, cardboard variety and includes no plastic or fancy packing materials and really, it's not required.  You soon realize why when you open the box and find a semi-rigid carrying case finished in black ballistic nylon.  Oddly, the case has no zipper but instead uses a clam shell design along with a Velcro strap assembly to protect your gear.  Is it water-proof?  No.  Will it hold up to the rigors of carry-on air travel?  Absolutely.  Regardless, everything is there.  The cans lay flat to avoid a bulkier carrying case and inside all the various pockets and recesses you find all the 'fixins' such as adapters, cord-holder, etc.  It feels rich.

Throwing these babies on and fitting them to my rather large melon didn't pose any problems and the split head band assembly makes for easy adjustments.  If there's one thing I noticed straight away, it's that they feel sturdy and tight on the head.  Despite that 'delicate' look, these are made to go the distance and the fit and finish is exquisite.  Beyond the look, the ear pads are comfortable but I can only offer my take on them after an hour or so of use.  My only true concern is the thin strips of padding on the head band which may pose a problem after repeated use...  Only time will tell.

There's no need to go on about this,  sound isolation for this type of headphone is excellent and superior to the t50Ps in my opinion.

I'm not a professional, nor do I pretend to be.  I'm a music enthusiast with a passion for great sound.  In my opinion, these phones are detailed and balanced right across the board.  Highs are phenomenal and the bass is punchy and tight although never overwhelming.  I was amazed at how accurate the the sound remained even when pushed to the limit.  I'll post a more in depth review when I've had the opportunity to spend some quality time with them.  So far, they seem to have been well worth the wait, and the money...
dt880smile.png

Apr 20, 2011 at 1:53 AM Post #3 of 26
Apparently.

Apr 20, 2011 at 10:50 AM Post #4 of 26
how do these compare to the Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm? i'm considering to buy my first pair of Beyerdynamic's (actually..my first pair of any decent headphone) and i was wondering if i should buy this or the DT880.

Thanks! Waiting anxiously for your reply xP

Apr 20, 2011 at 11:11 AM Post #5 of 26
More detailed sound impressions, please!

Apr 20, 2011 at 1:09 PM Post #6 of 26

Quote:
how do these compare to the Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm? i'm considering to buy my first pair of Beyerdynamic's (actually..my first pair of any decent headphone) and i was wondering if i should buy this or the DT880.

Thanks! Waiting anxiously for your reply xP

DT1350 will be far more "portable".

Apr 20, 2011 at 2:02 PM Post #7 of 26
Looking for an ultra portable phone I will be listening to AT ESW10s and ES10s and for now DT1350s would be the next one on my list of portables to try as it look very interesting.

Apr 20, 2011 at 8:48 PM Post #9 of 26
How's the overall sound signature? Would you consider it bright, neutral, or warm? Do you think the sound is aggressive or laid-back? Which genres do you think suit the headphones most? And lastly, how's the soundstage - I'm guessing, small?

Hopefully someone will compare these to the HD25s. I'm sure everyone wants to know that.

Apr 20, 2011 at 9:47 PM Post #10 of 26
You guys can check the last few pages of this thread while informalgear chimes in on the sound.

Apr 21, 2011 at 12:22 AM Post #11 of 26
Hi, I wasn't expecting responses that quickly so I'll try to comment on as many as possible.  I purchased these cans for their fidelity and pedigree.  I wanted a product that was not mass produced, professional in quality, and portable.  I've only logged six hours on the DT1350s and I don't know if would be fair to compare them to my friend's t50Ps which have been well broken in.  I will say that although they appear to be more detailed, they are also more balanced and warm.  Like I mentioned before, the bass is punchy without being overwhelming.  Note that I'm running these off my Linn Classik without an amp or via an ipod device, again, sans amp.  Against my Audio Technica ATH-M50s, the bass is much tighter on the 1350s.  The M50s almost seem to have a muddiness to the bass. 

A simple synopsis based on a couple of tracks:

1. Peel Me A Grape - Diana Krall from Love Scenes (Europe) - Warm & bright. Details in the track are apparent.
  2. Needs his Woman - Eric Clapton from Pilgrim - Warm, pronounced bass.  Mids are somewhat lacking after the introduction but again, these are brand-new cans. 

Honestly, the precision of these cans has enabled me to 're-discover' certain tracks.  More on that next time.

With regards to comfort, the DT1350s were still fine after three hours of constant use.  They did start to pinch a little towards the end but again, it's most likely due to my large melon and the fact that they're right out of the box.  That said, the superb isolation of these cans is due in part to the strong seal they provide on your ears and as much as you might shake your head, these aren't coming off...

Following a break-in period, I'll be better able to compare them to the t50Ps and against a few others that my friend owns. (He has deeper pockets than me...) 

Apr 21, 2011 at 11:09 AM Post #12 of 26
Will be interested to hear how it compares against the T50p... Pretty sad that Beyer released an obvious upgrade to the T50p so fast... :frowning2:

Apr 21, 2011 at 11:17 AM Post #13 of 26
Why sad?

Apr 21, 2011 at 11:40 AM Post #14 of 26
Confirms the T50p as a failed product... You usually won't release something that looks almost identical to cannibalise your own market unless you intend for it to die a natural death...

Apr 21, 2011 at 11:53 AM Post #15 of 26
Didn't we already confirm it as "fail"? 
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back