Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro
Nov 2, 2005 at 4:18 PM Post #16 of 78
Are these hard to drive?

I'm thinking my receiver could handle it, I mean it handles 64ohm easily, so what's another 186ohms! .......

PA2v2 is SUPPOSE to handle up to 300ohm (at least that's what I heard), but I don't know how truthful that is.

Nov 2, 2005 at 4:23 PM Post #17 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by b0dhi
With my Grado SR80 I was running them through the same amp, but had to put the bass up to maximum and the treble to almost maximum to get a similar sound as I'm getting with the DT-990 without EQing. <3

I like my DT990 very much, but they have a slightly "loudness" response, that paired with the slightly "midrangy" response of the Grados can give this behaviour.

I agree the with the DT990 no intrument covers the others, never, thanks also to the very good tridimensionality of the soundstage.

bye
Andrea

Nov 2, 2005 at 5:06 PM Post #18 of 78
Out of my stereo receiver the 990 pro are very easy to drive. I have the volume at 10-10/30 for max that I can stand. I bought these with only 30 hour burn in so now for the 200 burn in.

Jahn
Please buy a pair of 990 pro-250 and tell me what you think. If you dont like them you can send them back.

Nov 2, 2005 at 5:16 PM Post #19 of 78
"The most noticeable thing was the great fun fun fun they give you."

The 990's are one of the most "fun", if not the most fun, can that you will find! They are not for the person looking for neutral, or "politically correct" sound.

"I'm searching for rock-suitable headphones with as much isolation as possible that aren't too hard to drive - they would be driven only by a reciever for the time being."

Both the 990 & the 580 require about the same amount of juice to power them. The 990 is a better "rock" & all around headphone. Suitable for good old fashioned "rough & ready" fun. The 580 would be better if your prime focus is on classical music, as they are much more refined sound-wise.

- augustwest

Nov 2, 2005 at 6:53 PM Post #20 of 78
Does anyone know the size of the drivers on the 990 pro?
How about good detailed pics of them for my avatar.

Nov 2, 2005 at 8:15 PM Post #21 of 78
confused.gif
I thought you were absolutely floored by the HD595

Nov 2, 2005 at 8:29 PM Post #23 of 78
The 990 pro are beyond any other headphone that I have ever owned.
I am now checking into wooding them with re cable and screens.
That is how much I like them.

Nov 2, 2005 at 9:04 PM Post #25 of 78
I actually got a pair of 990s after selling my HD-595 to Lou. For me, these are keepers. I haven't reached for my 580s since I've gotten them (I currently have a Gilmore Lite and M3 for listening). I find that with the 580s, I have to really pay attention to the music to enjoy them, and then their detail and naturalness (especially female vocals) really become noticeably special. Unfortunately, I just don't like having to listen to music that hard to enjoy it.

I can put on the DT 990s and still be involved in the tunes while doing other things, and if I'm strictly listening to music (eyes closed, nothing else going on), their soundstage, separation while maintaining coherency of a piece, and beautiful bass (which is very present but not overwhelmingly so to me...the 770s gave me a headache when I tried them at Guitar Center), give me a wonderful world in my head to enjoy. To me, they have the character I was looking for in another post...a cross between Senn fullness and soundscape and Grado excitement (not perfecting either of those, but being an excellent compromise and combintation, IMHO). After too much 580 listening, I've rediscovered my ability to simply just enjoy music...it's hard not to smile with these on your noggin.

The HD580s will definitely be up for sale soon! Now if only they made a slightly more refined 990...I may have to look into the new 880 to see if it makes a good complement (or replacement!). Would sure be hard to give up this sweet bass though...
icon10.gif

Nov 2, 2005 at 9:24 PM Post #27 of 78
I am thinking about picking up a pair of these to see how they compare to the HF-1.

My question is, for those who have bought them recently or are thinking about it, is there any reason to wait for the new version coming out, other than the looks?

I am willing to bet that the new ones will cost more initially, but if they have improved the sound at all then I will wait. I know that no one has heard the new ones yet, but is there any info out there that would point to the new ones sounding any different?

thanks

Nov 2, 2005 at 9:45 PM Post #28 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by LTUCCI1924
The 990 pro are beyond any other headphone that I have ever owned.
I am now checking into wooding them with re cable and screens.
That is how much I like them.

That's always good to hear.

You traded diablo9's SA3k for these, right? Originally, I was after those SA3k myself but you beat me to it. Few days later, I stumbled upon your `FS: SA3000' ad and it filled me with hope. Alas, I opened it only to learn that you had already traded them. So I ordered a pair of DT990 which I'd been considering for some time already. Seems like inevitable fate to me
smily_headphones1.gif

... or like I'm always one step behind
biggrin.gif

Nov 2, 2005 at 9:47 PM Post #29 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dhw
I actually got a pair of 990s after selling my HD-595 to Lou.

That just adds up. Seems like we're all gonna end up with a pair of DT990
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back