Beyerdynamic DT 770 -series
May 19, 2009 at 2:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Ultrajeesus

New Head-Fier
I need closed headphones. The environment I work in is quite quiet, but not quiet enough for open headphones. I like how the Beyerdynamic's headphones feel. I can wear them for extended periods without feeling like my head is being crushed.

I find Grado's headphones even more comfortable, but they're surprisingly open for headphones that aren't closed. I have looked into Sennheiser's HD 25 -series, but they're not circumaural, thus not comfortable enough. Maybe they are, I don't remember. Who cares about anything anyway? Audio-Technica ATH-M50 seems to be a good affordable closed headphone, but I can't try them on around here. Same goes for Denon AH-D2000. I can't take anyone's word for what's comfortable, because I find wearing K701 really annoying. I do have experience with AKG K 81, but I use them mostly with my mp3-player, since they have a murky sound that I can't work with without getting pissed off. Sennheiser's HD 280 Pro's don't sit well on my head either. I seem to have a very discerning head with strong opinions. I have considered switching my head to ease the headphone purchasing process, but my doctor recommended benzodiazepines instead. Those make me dizzy. Good things do arrive with the second coming of the Dizzy Period.

So, do not recommend me anything beside Beyerdynamic's DT 770 -series. Instead, help me decide which ones to buy. The most important thing for me is flat frequency response. Among DT 770's, that is. So, which one's to get, 2005, Pro 250 Ohm, Pro 80 Ohm or the M? If the M's are about as good as the Pro's with added extra noise reduction in addition, I'll get them. If there isn't a big difference between the 80/250 Pro's, I'll get the 80-version. I'm an eighties guy. Miami Vice and all that. Prince and vomit inducing clothes. Vomit-inducting hoes.

I don't know where to find measurements. I can't compare them all, because I just can't, alright? It's not my fault that I live here, where the Headphone Shops do not roam. Well, it IS my fault, but we shouldn't always think about my shortcomings.

Thank you in advance, fine gentlemen.

May 19, 2009 at 8:08 PM Post #2 of 16
So it's a tight race, but looks like 80 is going for the gold. Does anyone have the DT 911's specs? I tried them with my Clix 2 and it worked like a charm. So, would the DT 770's be harder or easier to power? I'd use them with Edirol UA-25.

May 19, 2009 at 9:23 PM Post #3 of 16
beyersmile.png

May 19, 2009 at 9:37 PM Post #5 of 16
Of the various incarnations of the DT-770, I like the Edition 2005 the best kaiken kaikkiaan. Assuming you're in Finland, I do believe I have seen the Edition 2005 on display for customer auditioning in Tampere. It would take me a lot of deep thinking to remember the name of the shop, but I could do it after a good night's sleep.

May 19, 2009 at 10:04 PM Post #6 of 16
Most people seem to like the 2005 edition the most (or 600 ohm manufaktur) based on things I've read about them (since I am buying a set of DT770's as well
smily_headphones1.gif
)

May 20, 2009 at 12:04 AM Post #7 of 16
I tried the Pro/250Ω, consumer 250Ω and 600Ω...the consumer are far more comfy(less clamping and better headband padding), use higher quality ABS plastic(for less inner cup resonances) and the 600Ω drivers simply sound WAY WAY better....they actually sound fantastic! ask Skylab
smily_headphones1.gif

May 20, 2009 at 5:58 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaska
Of the various incarnations of the DT-770, I like the Edition 2005 the best kaiken kaikkiaan. Assuming you're in Finland, I do believe I have seen the Edition 2005 on display for customer auditioning in Tampere. It would take me a lot of deep thinking to remember the name of the shop, but I could do it after a good night's sleep.

I live in Helsinki. There are several Hifi-shops here, but I can only find AKG/Grado/Sennheiser -headphones. Ja hifimiehet on niin kujalla että suosittelee jotain Gradoja miksaamiseen.

Okay so it seems that the 2005 Edition is the way to go. Does anyone have any idea how hard it is to power with an Edirol UA-25? I'm going to get a small mixer for this setup, but don't know much about the headphone outputs on those either. Thanks a lot for help everyone.

May 20, 2009 at 6:45 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultrajeesus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The most important thing for me is flat frequency response.

No offense, but if a flat frequency response is the most important thing for you you are looking in entirely the wrong place.
The lower ohm versions of the 770 (in my listening experience) have more bass, whereas the higher ohmage versions have a slightly more balanced sound though not by much (depending on how "audiophile" you want to get with this particular DT series which borders on casual listening).
To be honest it comes down to how much you want to spend.
The pros are much cheaper and deliver something comparable to the consumer minus the highs (which are severely muted on the pros which I currently enjoy for this particular phone considering the genres I feel it excels at), whereas the consumer can be considerably more for arguably a small increase in SQ since it is essentially the same phone. To someone unfamiliar with the line, the difference between the two (save for the highs) are quite possibly snake oil at best.
Going just by the "flattest" frequency response (still WAY smiley) you will probably want the 600 ohm consumer version which will need a half decent amp to drive (an OTL will help minimise the cash impact).
Velour pads will probably deliver the most balanced sound with a slightly reduced soundstage vs the thicker leathers which also deliver more bass.
The consumer will be more comfortable at first, although the pro will feel much more solid on your head and you will adapt quickly to the pressure (or you could take off the headband). The padding is exactly the same, the only difference is between the leatherette and leather headband options. They both come with leatherette as stock, and if you want you can order a leather one for the pro (or simply attach it).
I've not tried this, but I have a feeling that the pro uses stronger plastic than the consumer (I believe theres a picture of a car running over the pro and it not breaking).
The 770M isnt particularly well regarded here for music listening.

Anyway, theyre all fun mid-fi cans... good luck with the decision.

May 20, 2009 at 1:42 PM Post #10 of 16
I had the 80 ohm version (way to much bass) and now I have the the 2005s. The 2005s have a flat frequency response with a bit of extra bite in the treble, I think they are great.

May 21, 2009 at 11:28 AM Post #11 of 16
I have a P3 and a fiio e5 think that could drive the 250 version?

May 21, 2009 at 1:03 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

No offense, but if a flat frequency response is the most important thing for you you are looking in entirely the wrong place.

Yeah. Generally speaking if flat frequency response if what you want then DT770 is wrong headphone for that. Except perhaps DT770 2005 but I have no experience with that headphone and comparisons with that model are quite rare.

So, I had to vote Touch me inappropriately.
biggrin.gif

May 21, 2009 at 1:32 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah. Generally speaking if flat frequency response if what you want then DT770 is wrong headphone for that. Except perhaps DT770 2005 but I have no experience with that headphone and comparisons with that model are quite rare.

So, I had to vote Touch me inappropriately.
biggrin.gif

Well I explained my situation in a PM to CDBacklash (whose post is terrific BTW). If you read my OP carefully, you can see what I mean. Basically the DT 770s are the only closed headphones that I can get fast enough and which I trust will be comfortable for me. I will do music production work with them, but not any final mixing or that sort of thing. By flat frequency response I meant AMONG DT 770 -models. I need closed headphones because I'll need to work in a relatively noisy environment with them. It's a temporary solution, thus need not be perfect.

Well, the AKG K 81s were comfortable, but they're pretty terrible headphones for extended listening. I liked to use them with my Clix 2 because they're closed, relatively small and inexpensive with an interesting bass response. The trebles on them are very muted, the sense of space is bad and the bass is pretty murky. But for hip hop and dance music they're great (relative to the cost). Wouldn't listen to jazz (unless it's some fusion stuff) with them.

Jun 11, 2009 at 2:09 AM Post #14 of 16
Really?

Are we on the Gamespot forums?

confused_face(1).gif

Jun 11, 2009 at 5:14 AM Post #15 of 16
I'm a firm believer that touching me inappropriately will give you, by far, the flattest, and most accurate sound you're looking for.

I've only had my hands on the 770 Pro 80ohm, and that was only for about a week. But the bass was pretty miserable(over powering, uncontrolled, flabby), IMO, regardless of what I ended up trying to put it through. I wouldn't really recommend them at all if you're looking for anything close to a flat response.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back