Beyerdynamic Dt 770 pro 80 opinions
May 25, 2012 at 10:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Rees8448

New Head-Fier
[size=small] Hello Hifi community, this is my first time posting and I am looking to finalize my decision on the dt 770. Any other recommendations on headphones within this price range will be welcome. Amp recommendations under 100$ would also be appreciated.[/size]

[size=small] Upgrading from a pair of vmoda crossfade lp headphones which I loved. The problem was that the ear cups were too shallow and my ears hurt after a hour or two. After looking around for hours, it looks like the dt 770 is the perfect headphone for me. I love I good pair of bass headphones but I have been getting into classical music as well. From what I have read, the dt 770s have a great soundstage and the mids are also great once they burn in.[/size]

[size=small] One of the reasons I like the dt 770s is the fact that they are closed. I prefer to not hear anything else but my music when I'm listening.[/size]

[size=small] I am also planning to pair it with a portable homemade amp from this guy (http://www.ebay.com/itm/18V-Cmoy-Ra1-Headphone-Amplifier-RECHARGEABLE-Pen-Perfect-for-Grado-Sennheiser-/170846899329?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27c744cc81). From what I can tell, this looks like a really good cmoy amp, and the best amp I could find under 100. I am still ignorant when it comes to amps though so if you guys have recommendations I'd be happy to hear them.[/size]

[size=small] The cheapest place I could find is here (http://www.wwbw.com/Beyerdynamic-DT-770-Pro-80-Closed-Studio-Headphones-272025-i1126937.wwbw?mode=1) Never bought from here before but I gave them a link to a price I found on eBay and they offered me a pair for 144$. Does this site look legit?[/size]

[size=small] TL;dr: Plan on getting dt770 paired with a unique amp. Looking for some opinions on both.[/size]

[size=small]  [/size]

[size=small] Edit: Thanks a lot everybody, you really did help me make a final decision. I went ahead and ordered them. Even though it got some negative feedback, I think they will be a good improvement over my crossfades.[/size]

May 25, 2012 at 10:28 PM Post #2 of 22
The Beyer dt770 is quality top to bottom from the build to the sound signature. The only reason that I don't suggest it is if you are sensitive to a touch of brightness. Good bass and good isolation and excellent comfort.

gL!!

May 25, 2012 at 10:52 PM Post #3 of 22
I think the DT770 Pro 80 is one gem of a headphone. It's never harsh or bright, quite smooth and articulate, and well rounded in the bass. It's lacking some soundstage but if generally good. 

Some say they're bright, but I don't detect one hint of it.

May 25, 2012 at 11:12 PM Post #4 of 22
I've got to respectfully disagree with the last two posts.  DT770-80 pro are easily the worst-sounding closed headphone I've owned (and I've owned many).  I found that the bass was wildly out of proportion with the other frequencies- you could literally feel the puff of air pressure from the bass when you put your hand over the earphone.  With anything short of massive amplification, the bass loses definition, mids fall back and a metallic treble overshadows other frequencies (amazing considering the excessive bass) and high frequencies from crashing cymbals, etc. are literally painful.

May 26, 2012 at 2:48 AM Post #5 of 22
The sound quality of 80 Ohm versions of the Beyer DT 770/880/990 tend to be inferior than their 250 & 300 Ohm siblings.  See:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/comparison-beyerdynamic-dt-880-32-ohm-dt-880-250-ohm-and-dt-880-600-ohm-headphones

and

http://kenrockwell.com/audio/beyer/dt-990.htm

and

http://kenrockwell.com/audio/beyer/dt-880.htm

May 26, 2012 at 10:48 AM Post #6 of 22
The beyerdynamic DT770 were not for me. The bass is a little muddy, not very tight. The mids sound a somewhat distant. Not very good for vocals. The highs were ok. The soundstage was average for a closed headphone. I just did not care for the sound signature, which is why I sold mine. I can say though, they are a very comfortable set of cans.

May 26, 2012 at 10:54 AM Post #7 of 22
DT770 pro/80 is a bit love or hate relationship; I belong to the "hate" category for pretty much similar reasons as above poster:

- Heavy Subbass focus, a little loose
- In comparision to the subbass, the midbass & speed & impact was greatly lacking, skewing the tonality of the bass response very deep, slow, soft & rumbly (I'm a fan of balanced midbass & subbass ratio)
- Distant sounding mids/vocals
- Highs had slight hint of metallic & stringent sound (to me sounded unnatural)

I'm sure if I paired it with a very warm sounding amp though I'd enjoy them quite a bit better but yea I dislike V-shape sound signature, I like a boosted bass but well balanced sub and midbass presence and the highs shouldn't be higher boosted than mids like they are on DT770 pro.

May 26, 2012 at 11:26 AM Post #8 of 22
I love them, and at the moment quite content with them being my only closed circumaural headphone. Had to sell the D7000 a while ago and can't say I miss them that much as I ultimately find the DT770 signature more to my liking.

Except for the at times heavy lowbass (which can be fun quite often regardless) I find it to be a pretty well balanced headphone.

May 26, 2012 at 1:00 PM Post #9 of 22
If you put acoustic fiber in the cups it does tighten the bass a lot, but you loose some quantity. Also adding Dynamat Extreme and adhesive felt to the rear of the cup cut down resonances and maximize bass control. I think that's a good trade off. But then again do you want to open up your new headphones and do this?

Nov 14, 2012 at 8:57 PM Post #10 of 22
I love these cans, Probably will keep them as long as they are willing to stay with me!
I dabbled a bit with the sony XB series, those were terrible in comparison to these. The sub bass on these is unbeatable, specifically when you look at distortion measurements.

Nov 15, 2012 at 10:04 AM Post #11 of 22
Quote:
DT770 pro/80 is a bit love or hate relationship; I belong to the "hate" category for pretty much similar reasons as above poster:

- Heavy Subbass focus, a little loose
- In comparision to the subbass, the midbass & speed & impact was greatly lacking, skewing the tonality of the bass response very deep, slow, soft & rumbly (I'm a fan of balanced midbass & subbass ratio)
- Distant sounding mids/vocals
- Highs had slight hint of metallic & stringent sound (to me sounded unnatural)

I'm sure if I paired it with a very warm sounding amp though I'd enjoy them quite a bit better but yea I dislike V-shape sound signature, I like a boosted bass but well balanced sub and midbass presence and the highs shouldn't be higher boosted than mids like they are on DT770 pro.

Agree with you and i feel it also quite grainy, paired with Graham Slee Novo however, it'll become a good cans. the bass is not overpowering anymore, smoothen the sound, warmed it up and cleaner

Feb 17, 2013 at 11:22 PM Post #13 of 22
I just got the DT770 Pro 80s, and to be honest, I find the treble to be bright but good bright. But it is very smooth and surprisingly less harsh compared to the Audio-Technica ATH-M50s, which I think are overhyped for their treble, which can be grainy and sometimes harsh. The bass on the DT770 is also much better and deeper.

Feb 17, 2013 at 11:51 PM Post #14 of 22
They aren't as bassy as a lot of people make them out to be but certainly do have a good emphasis on it. The bass is more rumbly then punchy. The midrange is full sounding and detailed but it's recessed due to the boosted highs and sparkly treble (V shaped signature). 

The build quality is absolutely amazing. I'm pretty sure they could last a lifetime if you treat them half-decently. And finally, the comfort is also amazing! The earpads are an amazingly good material that never gets sweaty or scratchy and lets your ears breath a bit. My only con with it is that they clamp way too hard and they need to be stretched if you have an average sized head.

My opinion is that they are good 'fun' headphones that have a nice WOW factor with an audiophiles "edge"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back