Beyerdynamic DT 235 - Wow!
Aug 28, 2013 at 6:25 AM Post #16 of 25

Quote:
Hi everybody, can i change/replace the cable on this Beyer DT235 with something longer (by example cable for monster by DR. Dre ?) Thank you for answer :wink:

The DT235 already comes with a very long cable, 2.5 meters (or 8.2 feet), and its not user replaceable. If you need an even longer cable the easiest solution would be to use an extension cable.

Aug 28, 2013 at 8:34 AM Post #17 of 25
Thank You Devhen for your answer ! it's helps me.
atsmile.gif

May 7, 2014 at 7:50 AM Post #18 of 25
I was browsing a headphone sale in a local mall and I was just trying out and see how a sub 100 headphone sounds like. To be honest I never expect to find anything worth taking home. I have tried at least 7 pairs from different brands (Philips, Panasonic, Sony, JVC, Fischer Audio, etc)

For most of the headphones I tried it only took me 5 to 10 seconds of listening an say no way I'm listening on it even if I get it for free. Then only 2 headphones I tried which I have to listen to at least 3 different songs on my DX90. ( 1 is a JVC and 1 is a Philips) At the end I decided that it's not worth paying 30 SGD for the Philips phone I was trying out for almost 15 minutes.

I was ready to walk out the shop when I saw in the corner the DT235. Of all the headphones on sale only DT235 has no demo unit ready for testing and there was only 3 units left. 1 black and 2 white. I was checking the spec on the box when the store attendant approach me and asked if I want to try. I was not in a hurry so I thought what the heck go ahead open the box and I will try.

Then the unexpected happened, I didn't realized I have been listening to DT235 for more than an hour. I was listening to as many songs as I can and been comparing the sound to my JH Roxanne. I ask the guy are you sure this headphone is in the correct rack of the headphone section? They don't sound anything like the rest of headphones I tried earlier. At 55 SGD, I had to take one home. Not only it sound good, the DT235's signature reminds me of Beyerdynamic flagship T1 which I still have and love.

Talking about unexpected surprise.

The design won't turn heads and the build looks like cheap plastic. But the sound is far from cheap. If Beyer used aluminum for the ear cups and replace the headband with a robust one I think they can sell it for 200 bucks and it will still be cheap for the sound.

May 8, 2014 at 3:25 AM Post #19 of 25
  I was browsing a headphone sale in a local mall and I was just trying out and see how a sub 100 headphone sounds like. To be honest I never expect to find anything worth taking home. I have tried at least 7 pairs from different brands (Philips, Panasonic, Sony, JVC, Fischer Audio, etc)

For most of the headphones I tried it only took me 5 to 10 seconds of listening an say no way I'm listening on it even if I get it for free. Then only 2 headphones I tried which I have to listen to at least 3 different songs on my DX90. ( 1 is a JVC and 1 is a Philips) At the end I decided that it's not worth paying 30 SGD for the Philips phone I was trying out for almost 15 minutes.

I was ready to walk out the shop when I saw in the corner the DT235. Of all the headphones on sale only DT235 has no demo unit ready for testing and there was only 3 units left. 1 black and 2 white. I was checking the spec on the box when the store attendant approach me and asked if I want to try. I was not in a hurry so I thought what the heck go ahead open the box and I will try.

Then the unexpected happened, I didn't realized I have been listening to DT235 for more than an hour. I was listening to as many songs as I can and been comparing the sound to my JH Roxanne. I ask the guy are you sure this headphone is in the correct rack of the headphone section? They don't sound anything like the rest of headphones I tried earlier. At 55 SGD, I had to take one home. Not only it sound good, the DT235's signature reminds me of Beyerdynamic flagship T1 which I still have and love.

Talking about unexpected surprise.

The design won't turn heads and the build looks like cheap plastic. But the sound is far from cheap. If Beyer used aluminum for the ear cups and replace the headband with a robust one I think they can sell it for 200 bucks and it will still be cheap for the sound.

This is the post the convinced me. I guess my two other useless threads are even more useless now.

May 8, 2014 at 9:30 AM Post #20 of 25
I've been thinking of getting a pair of these for my partner, as they seem great, but how portable are they ?

The 2,5 meters cable is a concern.

Looking at pictures, I can tell that you can't fold them up. Can they still be stored safely in a handbag ?

May 8, 2014 at 10:46 AM Post #21 of 25
It's very light but not foldable. The cable is too long and I'm going to re-terminate it at 1.2m. You need to get a separate case for it because it really look flimsy but sturdy enough. I will not recommend putting it inside a bag without a case.

The sound quality is on the opposite spectrum with the design/build quality. I guess that is the trade-off Beyer has to make at this price range.

May 8, 2014 at 8:08 PM Post #23 of 25
I only use it outdoors. I just hang it on my neck when I don't listen. Just need to trim the cable and it's all good for me.

May 21, 2014 at 5:55 AM Post #24 of 25
I managed to cut the cable and re-terminate my DT235. It's not easy because the conductors are separated by an insulating coat and not by the regular vinyl or pvc insulator. I have to scrape off the coating from multiple tiny strands to expose the conductor. But in the end the effort is worth it because it's much more comfortable to use while on a walkabout about with a shorter cable and overall lighter.

Aug 25, 2014 at 6:33 AM Post #25 of 25
I just bought the Beyerdynamic DT235 at about SGD 58. Didn't know what to expect, but I've been trying out lots of different genres and this headphone is amazing. The vocal clarity and instrument separation is very good. In fact, I don't find the bass muddy - it doesn't have as much punch and weight as my Sennheiser HD 25-1 ii, for e.g. But I think it's adequately weighty. It's so enjoyable.

I have been listening through the HRT Microstreamer which I think gives the DT235 sligthly better definition. I'm glad I bought it as it is a good purchase to add to my collection. I will use it at home.

It looks portable enough but I am currently using either the Beyerdynamic MMX 101ie or AKG K350 while travelling to work/at work.

Interestingly, when I first saw the DT235, I thought it looked similar to my Sennheiser HD203. Both are extremely delightful headphones that do not break the bank.

Looks like I'll be alternating home use between the AKG 240 mk ii and DT235. 
etysmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back