Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone
Jun 21, 2023 at 3:16 AM Post #4,591 of 4,801
and ?
what do you think?

does it kinda look like my silly pic of the mod?

lol
Really interesting and simple mod. Props.

Since my balanced have sat completely unused in the box since the day I got my 1990’s, this gives me good reason to pull em out and do this and A&B them to the analytical pads (which I think give a really great FR). I tend to like bright, very detailed phones.

Jun 21, 2023 at 3:38 AM Post #4,592 of 4,801
Really interesting and simple mod. Props.

Since my balanced have sat completely unused in the box since the day I got my 1990’s, this gives me good reason to pull em out and do this and A&B them to the analytical pads (which I think give a really great FR). I tend to like bright, very detailed phones.

please tell me what you think of , I will now call it “ the silly mod”

lol

I’m curious cause it worked out amazing for me man

Jun 22, 2023 at 4:08 AM Post #4,594 of 4,801
Jun 24, 2023 at 1:51 PM Post #4,599 of 4,801
I have had the dt 1990 pro for 2 weeks and with the analytical pads it has an absolutely perfect sound, when I read reviews like: blah blah the dt 1990 is too bright a headphone it has a peak on the high frequencies, the dt 1990 has a hole in the mids - other frequencies, the dt 1990 is a headset for mixing and not for music, all things written between the various reviewers with copy and paste, always the same things ...., in my opinion the dt 1990 is a magnificent headset, technically very valid and it also has a certain warmth that makes listening very pleasant.

Jul 3, 2023 at 10:06 AM Post #4,600 of 4,801
Was in two minds about posting this here or in the 'Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution' thread.

Had mine (Custom Cans balanced with 8k filter) a week or so with some time on them. Absolutely smitten with them, think these are genuinely what I was looking or and what I wanted from the Amiron Home when I got them. They are sibilant but not quite as bad as I expected, its tolerable and enjoyable to me on all but a few albums at which point they make me grit my teeth, then the passive filter comes in handy especially for vinyl but suspect an eq at around 8k would have the same result to take the sting out of them.

Interesting to hear the changes that blocking up the holes in the pads make. Was it Nkam that suggested it a page or two back?

Balanced pads were a bit bass light for me, blocking the holes up to where Nkam has them is about right. Don't know if this causes distortion.

The analytical pads with 4 holes seem to replicate the problem I have with the Amiron home's where bass/lows seem more forward and bleed up into the mids and muddy them up. The Amiron pads have 4 holes in them but have firmer foam construction surrounded my microfibre or faux suede or whatever it is.

Will mess about with a pair of cheap amazon special DT 770 pads (basically like these 1990 balanced pads but a firmer foam construction, can see them in this photo), I think blocking the holes up the same way as Nkam did will change the Amiron's bass problem. Probably keep the two but the 1990 is the winner with the pads modified for me.

Attachments

• 20230623_151504.jpg
    20230623_151504.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
Jul 3, 2023 at 10:22 AM Post #4,601 of 4,801
If you haven't: Get an OTL tube amp. There are a lot of options in various price points vom 250€-2500€. It really enhances the enjoyment a lot.

Jul 3, 2023 at 4:53 PM Post #4,605 of 4,801
Complimentary set of "everything" is "nothing". So in consequence he writes nothing.
I listen to anything with a solid state amplifier. So I cannot comment further.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back