Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone
May 31, 2023 at 4:43 PM Post #4,546 of 4,801
I own the Focal Clear, which is a much better sounding headphone than the DT 1990. The issue with the DT 1990 is that when you reduce that 6-10kHz peak it has, you also end up losing detail as well. The build quality on the DT 1990 is amazing though.

the only reason I would be hesitant to get anything focal is because of the sound of their speakers

weird mids . Kinda congested sounding. Some people love them. So no offense I hope. Just my own experience

but yes the 1990 lose a bit of detail when you bump the 8khz peak a bit lower. about -2db is as far as I would go.
it doesn’t bother me tho. Makes the headphone more exciting and alive.
and that mod I did , helps with the 8k peak a bit without ruining the sound. It improves the sound.

the 1990 have a VERY good driver. Compared to the likes of dynamic driver headphones such as the Senn HD600 they are way better. The HD600 is a pretty good sounding can. But it lacks weight to instruments and timbre. The driver isn’t close to the quality of the 1990

To be honest headphones don’t do much for me. I spend the serious money on my speaker system.
any modest speaker system will blow away a headphone listening experience.

plus I want to preserve my hearing.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2023 at 9:22 PM Post #4,547 of 4,801
Does anyone have this particular box for their DT 1990, and would be interested in selling it (the box)?

Here's my classified listing: Want To Buy

D3S_9836-box.jpg

Jun 6, 2023 at 6:04 AM Post #4,548 of 4,801
The dt 1990 will arrive in a few days, reading reviews I realize that everyone criticizes the dt 1990 for the highs and the fatiguing sound, I made a mistake in buying it, yet I see that this forum with more than 300 pages is there a reason?

Jun 6, 2023 at 7:31 AM Post #4,549 of 4,801
-

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2023 at 7:32 AM Post #4,550 of 4,801
The dt 1990 will arrive in a few days, reading reviews I realize that everyone criticizes the dt 1990 for the highs and the fatiguing sound, I made a mistake in buying it, yet I see that this forum with more than 300 pages is there a reason?
Well, yes, there is a reason. The reason is that they are good. I think I have written page upon page about the 8kHz peak. I also have measurements of my own (look in the thread images). I can tell you that if you change the inserts and use Dekoni Velour pads, then the peak will be reduced, but the headphones will lose what makes them special.

They are professional headphones, made for professional use to identify faults in music production. If you listen to professionally mastered songs, then I promise you, you will notice it.

The DT1990 and a pair of HD650 make a perfect combination where you have all bases covered.

And for something like "Within Temptation" or "Delain" or "Five Finger Death Punch"... they are good. There are no other "bright" headphones like these that simultaneously have good bass extension and dead-neutral mids.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2023 at 8:00 AM Post #4,551 of 4,801
Well, yes, there is a reason. The reason is that they are good. I think I have written page upon page about the 8kHz peak. I also have measurements of my own (look in the thread images). I can tell you that if you change the inserts and use Dekoni Velour pads, then the peak will be reduced, but the headphones will lose what makes them special.

They are professional headphones, made for professional use to identify faults in music production. If you listen to professionally mastered songs, then I promise you, you will notice it. But on anything well-mastered, oh boy, are they good.

The DT1990 and a pair of HD650 make a perfect combination where you have all bases covered.

And for something like "Within Temptation" or "Delain" or "Five Finger Death Punch"... they are good. There are no other "bright" headphones like these that simultaneously have good bass extension and dead-neutral mids.
thanks reassure me, i also have hd 650, is asgard 3 a good amp for 1990?

Jun 6, 2023 at 8:02 AM Post #4,552 of 4,801
People that like treble accept that fatiguing sound. There is not that much that is treble boosted and not fatiguing (especially in this price range).
In general: If you boost the treble overall, people that like treble love it and it's not that fatiguing. The best contender that i've heard is the Elysian Annihilator, the Denon AH-D9200 is also very good (and it's a pure upgrade to the DT1990). Stax can do that the best, but they have other major flaws.
If you boosted the treble at different positions, and it gets peaky with thinn, sharp, small peaks, then you have a problem. That will get painful and very fatiguing very fast. The DT1990 has a boosted treble which is not very peaky, but it's also not overall boosted, it's in between. The width is always the important factor here. That's why the Annihilator is a unicorn, see how not peaky the treble is, but still boosted.

Also, the DT1990 is incredible on a tube amp which adds soundstage and makes the headphone a bit smoother.

@cirodts
Oh, you really want an OTL tube amp, something like the Feliks Audio Echo, or a Darkvoice. There are a lot of options, doesn't have to be expensive. OTL's are sooo good for both the HD650 and the DT1990.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2023 at 8:11 AM Post #4,553 of 4,801
Wait and hear how they sound and don't dive too deep into reviews before you get them.

A good way to control treble on the dt1990 are these:
https://www.beyerdynamic.de/schaumstoffscheibe-amiron-wireless.html
https://www.beyerdynamic.de/fleece-pad-pro-x.html

There are also Dekoni earpads, electronic filters and EQ (easiest). Plenty of options.

Jun 6, 2023 at 11:03 AM Post #4,554 of 4,801
I would recommend you listen to them for a week or two before deciding your next step. Many people (myself included) are not that sensitive to the treble peak that is typical for Beyer headphones, and you might be one of those people as well. For me, they sound amazing and don't require any EQ or pad swap, and I used the balanced pads that came with them to get the best overall bass & lower mids for my taste.

Jun 6, 2023 at 5:22 PM Post #4,555 of 4,801
I love the dt1990 and got used to the bright sound. I got used to it slowly. Started out by using eq to reduce the treble. I then slowly started putting a little treble back until I got used to them. I love beyers headphones in general. I own dt990, tygr, t1 gen 2, t5 gen 2 and gen 3.

Jun 11, 2023 at 8:01 AM Post #4,559 of 4,801
beautiful headphone the dt 1990, i adapted to its sound signature, it will be brilliant but at least for me it doesn't tire my listening, do you think covering 12 holes on the balanced pad with tape can decrease the bass and bring the balanced pad closer to the analytic like sound?

Jun 11, 2023 at 4:58 PM Post #4,560 of 4,801
beautiful headphone the dt 1990, i adapted to its sound signature, it will be brilliant but at least for me it doesn't tire my listening, do you think covering 12 holes on the balanced pad with tape can decrease the bass and bring the balanced pad closer to the analytic like sound?
No, covering the hols will add bass at around 300 hz. you will get "mud" out of it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back