Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone
May 20, 2023 at 9:21 AM Post #4,531 of 4,801
Thanks, have to say I've read your post a few times now and is probably the most useful comparison I've read so far.

And its the one that makes me think the 1990 with the passive filter might be 'just right' for me.
I currently own an Amiron and 1990 and I listen to a ton of metal and some rock - I agree completely with @DW75 's very nice comparison.

Another Beyer to consider:

Particularly if you want a more linear transition from bass into mids, the Beyer 900 pro x would be worth checking out. It tapers down after 6k as well, so it should be a bit more palatable up high as high. The Stellar drivers at least on this newest pro pair (700/900) is tuned quite differently from the Teslas, particularly in upper treble and mid bass. I like them both myself, but the Stellars might be just the ticket for you.

May 21, 2023 at 3:53 AM Post #4,532 of 4,801
I currently own an Amiron and 1990 and I listen to a ton of metal and some rock - I agree completely with @DW75 's very nice comparison.

Another Beyer to consider:

Particularly if you want a more linear transition from bass into mids, the Beyer 900 pro x would be worth checking out. It tapers down after 6k as well, so it should be a bit more palatable up high as high. The Stellar drivers at least on this newest pro pair (700/900) is tuned quite differently from the Teslas, particularly in upper treble and mid bass. I like them both myself, but the Stellars might be just the ticket for you.

Thanks

I have looked at the 900 but figured it might be a step back in the same way my AKG's are - good but not on the same level as the Amiron

edit to add I've bought the 1990s from custom cans, balanced (my dac/amp has 4.4mm) with the passive filter.

Last edited:
May 28, 2023 at 6:28 PM Post #4,533 of 4,801
I've been really enjoying my DT1990 with 'Earpadz by Dekoni Fostex TH900 Elite Velour' pads. The Dekoni beyerdynamic Elite Velour pads brought a welcome improvement in comfort, but also a less than welcome disjointed stereo image. The angled Dekoni Fostex pads are giving me much better stereo. They don't fit into the grooves for attaching pads, but they go right over the lip as with DT990 (& other older beyerdynamics) well enough.

May 30, 2023 at 6:47 PM Post #4,534 of 4,801
I've been really enjoying my DT1990 with 'Earpadz by Dekoni Fostex TH900 Elite Velour' pads. The Dekoni beyerdynamic Elite Velour pads brought a welcome improvement in comfort, but also a less than welcome disjointed stereo image. The angled Dekoni Fostex pads are giving me much better stereo. They don't fit into the grooves for attaching pads, but they go right over the lip as with DT990 (& other older beyerdynamics) well enough.

I just got the dekoni elite velour and I agree .
I think they are simply too tall and far away from our ears.
it makes the soundstage fall apart a bit and more importantly it takes away from the distinct 1990 impact and thickness of sound.

I posted a thread on a simple mod that sounds WAY better. To my ears of course

May 30, 2023 at 6:54 PM Post #4,535 of 4,801
I used to own the Amiron and DT 1990 at the same time back in 2020. I only listen to hard rock and heavy metal music. You can see my comparison here. Having owned both of these headphones, if I had to pick between the two, I would definitely go with the Amiron. The DT 1990 Pro is an excellent headphone it its own right, but that 6-10kHz peak is just too much for extended listening.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/beyerdynamic-amiron-home-the-new-t90.821567/page-153#post-17177891

that peak is the easiest thing to fix with simple eq if it bothers you.

what I’ve learned about the 1990 is that it is an exceptional headphone , with one caveat than may bother some people. That peak. Which again is easily fixable.

the thing is though that the headphone in all other aspects is amazing.
the impact , soundstage etc. lack of distortion. Timbre is second to none.

use EQ and have a headphone that is built like a luxury quality headphone and enjoy .

you do NOT need to spend more on headphones. The rest are just bragging rights, to be the “ cool kid on the block “.

it’s really silly.

as a musician of over 40 years the beyer 1990 are amazing

May 30, 2023 at 8:18 PM Post #4,536 of 4,801
Hard disagree on the soundstage, the DT1990 is intimate. That is, among the amount of details, what makes it "the best" studio headphone, it hammers details inside your head and you can't escape them. The "peak" is also relatively wide and not that narrow, that's why a lot of people find it bearable. It's a great headphone for people that like treble.
It has good dynamics, yes. The timbre is ok, the main problem with the DT1990 is that S and T consonants from voices do sound harsh and sibilant from time to time.

Put it on a tube amp and the soundstage widens, the bass loosens up, and the treble gets a bit milder. Then you have a true competitor versus cans like the Sundara, which offers soundstage, but lacks the dynamics and the fun factor.

Of course, as you go up in price, the DT1990 looses versus headphones around 1k, but under 500 it's still relevant, even for non studio producers. If you like treble that is.

May 30, 2023 at 11:03 PM Post #4,537 of 4,801
Hard disagree on the soundstage, the DT1990 is intimate. That is, among the amount of details, what makes it "the best" studio headphone, it hammers details inside your head and you can't escape them. The "peak" is also relatively wide and not that narrow, that's why a lot of people find it bearable. It's a great headphone for people that like treble.
It has good dynamics, yes. The timbre is ok, the main problem with the DT1990 is that S and T consonants from voices do sound harsh and sibilant from time to time.

Put it on a tube amp and the soundstage widens, the bass loosens up, and the treble gets a bit milder. Then you have a true competitor versus cans like the Sundara, which offers soundstage, but lacks the dynamics and the fun factor.

Of course, as you go up in price, the DT1990 looses versus headphones around 1k, but under 500 it's still relevant, even for non studio producers. If you like treble that is.

The thing about headphones, is that everyone’s ear canal is different.
so much more variation compared to speakers.

I do not find it a sibilant headphone at all. Bright? Yes.

I agree it is more intimate.

but then again how can you get some crazy wide soundstage from two transducers on your ears?

its physics

May 31, 2023 at 4:18 AM Post #4,539 of 4,801
I don't find it sibilant, even if I use it with ESS Dac's. I really love the sound when mixed with an ESS based DAP.
But... funny thing... I find it sibilant with the stock "balanced" pads.
With the "analytic" ones they sound perfect.
I can fully underline every sentence, I made the same experiences. With is a small addition to balanced pads: according to entries in this thread, new "stock-"version of balanced pads do exist, but I never ordered them, the old balanced ones I only used for some hours years ago.

May 31, 2023 at 4:44 AM Post #4,540 of 4,801
I don't find it sibilant, even if I use it with ESS Dac's. I really love the sound when mixed with an ESS based DAP.
But... funny thing... I find it sibilant with the stock "balanced" pads.
With the "analytic" ones they sound perfect.

I actually agree .

try this mod with your balanced pads.
and tell me how it sounds

for me it’s another great sound with more of a mix of analytical.
I tried every combination of how many holes to leave open. And 8 was the best for me

IMG_0533.jpeg

Last edited:
May 31, 2023 at 4:55 AM Post #4,541 of 4,801
I actually agree .

try this mod with your balanced pads.
and tell me how it sounds

for me it’s another great sound with more of a mix of analytical.
I tried every combination of how many holes to leave open. And 8 was the best for me

IMG_0533.jpeg

I've considered doing this actually..... will give it a try thanks.

Strange how some holes there can make such a difference given the two pads are identical otherwise.

I do think driver placement (distance from ears) are perfect with these pads, some of the aftermarket ones create an artificially 'wide' soundstage and seem to recess low/mid/high frequencies in doing so.

May 31, 2023 at 5:14 AM Post #4,542 of 4,801
I've considered doing this actually..... will give it a try thanks.

Strange how some holes there can make such a difference given the two pads are identical otherwise.

I do think driver placement (distance from ears) are perfect with these pads, some of the aftermarket ones create an artificially 'wide' soundstage and seem to recess low/mid/high frequencies in doing so.

the pads actually aren’t identical.
that’s sorta the idea
the balanced pads if you notice have a bit stiffer velour and are a bit taller. Which helps a little with soundstage.

i liked the soundstage of the balanced more than the analytical, but I liked the analytical pads for their weights of instruments and attack.

getting the balanced pads and closing some of the holes gives me an in between sound.
I still will occasionally throw on the analytical pads. But this mod has worked well for me

tell me what you think. I used duct tape. Lol

be honest though please. If you think it sucks tell me

May 31, 2023 at 8:18 AM Post #4,543 of 4,801

Over in the Monolith M1570 thread, there was some discussion of cheap Aliexpress pads that sound awful in stock form (crazy bass resonance that just destroys the low end) but another HeadFi-er reported excellent results simply by cutting a half-dozen slits in the pleather.

I've been running that exact hack on my 1570's for around 2 months now - looks janky as hell but it works.

May 31, 2023 at 3:53 PM Post #4,544 of 4,801
that peak is the easiest thing to fix with simple eq if it bothers you.

what I’ve learned about the 1990 is that it is an exceptional headphone , with one caveat than may bother some people. That peak. Which again is easily fixable.

the thing is though that the headphone in all other aspects is amazing.
the impact , soundstage etc. lack of distortion. Timbre is second to none.

use EQ and have a headphone that is built like a luxury quality headphone and enjoy .

you do NOT need to spend more on headphones. The rest are just bragging rights, to be the “ cool kid on the block “.

it’s really silly.

as a musician of over 40 years the beyer 1990 are amazing

I own the Focal Clear, which is a much better sounding headphone than the DT 1990. The issue with the DT 1990 is that when you reduce that 6-10kHz peak it has, you also end up losing detail as well. The build quality on the DT 1990 is amazing though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back