Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone
May 13, 2022 at 9:29 AM Post #4,322 of 4,782
DT1990 v.2 from march 2022???

That's right... There must have been a silent revision (for the better I hope).

Been A/B the pads that come with the DT1990, and I could just not hear the bass that was supposed to be in the balanced pads, - so I spent 62 euro on a pair of dekoni elite velour pads, and here we go. All of a sudden we have this bass everyone has measured.

So guess what? I went to my 60+ year old dad, who has some 45 pairs of headphones (not kidding here) and a MiniDSP :)

And the measurements confirm my subject hearing.

Also, the difference between the A/B pads is almost non existent right now...

I would really love a comment from Beyedynamic on this.
Have you confirmed you didn't receive 2 sets of A pads by accident perhaps?

May 13, 2022 at 10:20 AM Post #4,323 of 4,782
Have you confirmed you didn't receive 2 sets of A pads by accident perhaps?
I have confirmed that I have A and B pads... The only thing I can think of would be, that my B pads are worn from about 150 hours of usage.

When I get a new pair of pads, that I'll post some new measurements, - but what's funny is, that my A and B pads are the same softness.

Most YouTubers talk about that the A pads are softer then the B pads... But mine always were the same softness. It's just the number of holes in the back that are different.

May 13, 2022 at 12:03 PM Post #4,324 of 4,782
I have confirmed that I have A and B pads... The only thing I can think of would be, that my B pads are worn from about 150 hours of usage.

When I get a new pair of pads, that I'll post some new measurements, - but what's funny is, that my A and B pads are the same softness.

Most YouTubers talk about that the A pads are softer then the B pads... But mine always were the same softness. It's just the number of holes in the back that are different.
You might want to check with Beyerdynamic. To me it just sounds like you were sent defective pads. As I recall, there was somebody else semi-recently that got a similarly defective pads with their DT 1990, but (if I remember correctly) they were sent new ones.
It wouldn't make much sense for them to send two pairs of the same pads.

May 13, 2022 at 2:26 PM Post #4,325 of 4,782
My DT-1990 B pads are quite noticeably firmer. You can also check the inner dust foams and see if they have a stitched inner circle in the middle of the foams. If so, then you have the newer Amiron Home foams.

May 14, 2022 at 4:31 AM Post #4,326 of 4,782
My DT-1990 B pads are quite noticeably firmer. You can also check the inner dust foams and see if they have a stitched inner circle in the middle of the foams. If so, then you have the newer Amiron Home foams.
My inner foams are the standard that are plan, like the DT880 and DT990.

Just ordered new pads from Thomann.

Looking at my A and B pads, the B-pads are flatter.

It's funny I really did not notice the lacking bass before I did the pad swap to Dekoni and though what the H?!*?x.

Sadly don't have measurements from when I got them...

Anyway, I remember my first of the difference was between the A and B pads was the A pads were much sharper, more sibilant, and that the B-pads have more low-end. But the comfort was the same.

Right now with the A pads, my ears don't touch the driver and B pads they do touch.

May 14, 2022 at 4:22 PM Post #4,327 of 4,782
How do you guys find DT 1990 timbre? I find DT 880 metallic, even tho I like the headphones stil. I think HD600 and HD650 have most natural timbre, but I don't like the headband, lack of subs and almost mono sound stage. I also have K371, which have similar natural mids than HD6xx headphones. Is there any other headphones with similar natural tone and timbre?

May 14, 2022 at 5:19 PM Post #4,328 of 4,782
How do you guys find DT 1990 timbre? I find DT 880 metallic, even tho I like the headphones stil. I think HD600 and HD650 have most natural timbre, but I don't like the headband, lack of subs and almost mono sound stage. I also have K371, which have similar natural mids than HD6xx headphones. Is there any other headphones with similar natural tone and timbre?
The timbre of the DT 1990 and other newer Tesla's are more natural than the DT 880, etc. While the DT 1990 has some brightness to it, it is definitely better in terms of timbre and tone than the DT 880, DT 990, etc. imho.

May 15, 2022 at 2:10 PM Post #4,329 of 4,782
Hi I just got my new dt1990 pro. Try to change the pad but it leaves a mark on the earpad itself (the leather part where it meet the headphone pad slot)

I worried it won't last long since I'm changing it continuously for mixing (analytics) and easy listening (balance).

Can we got original replacement for each pad? How much is it? Already contacted CS but haven't responded yet (well, I contact them 3 hours ago lol I should be patient).

Thanks ^^

Last edited:
May 15, 2022 at 2:17 PM Post #4,330 of 4,782
Isnt Focal Elear pretty much like this? Anyone here who has heard both?
I own elear before and now I'm using Beyer 1990.

Elear have some dips at around -+3khz, sounds more like hd650 but with better resolution (also not as warm as hd650), better transient, fairly small soundstage for open back headphones

Dt1990 is more aggressive, better transient than elear, brighter, bigger soundstage and the vocal is a little bit laid-back. It's not flat enough, but it's more balanced and accurate than elear.

Both are good headphone, if you are into pop song and long listening, Elear would be great.

If you want more versatile headphone, dt1990 is better. Also imo, dt1990 is also enjoyable for long listening (especially the balance pads).

I choose dt1990 since I do mixing mastering and love detailed sound ^^

Last edited:
May 17, 2022 at 4:31 AM Post #4,331 of 4,782
I own elear before and now I'm using Beyer 1990.

Elear have some dips at around -+3khz, sounds more like hd650 but with better resolution (also not as warm as hd650), better transient, fairly small soundstage for open back headphones

Dt1990 is more aggressive, better transient than elear, brighter, bigger soundstage and the vocal is a little bit laid-back. It's not flat enough, but it's more balanced and accurate than elear.

Both are good headphone, if you are into pop song and long listening, Elear would be great.

If you want more versatile headphone, dt1990 is better. Also imo, dt1990 is also enjoyable for long listening (especially the balance pads).

I choose dt1990 since I do mixing mastering and love detailed sound ^^
I now have both in use. And yes these are not similar HP.
I listen to very heavy music, these two are the best sub 1k eur HPs for metal music, I bet. I bought Elear used of course.
1990 is way better with death metal and doom metal. Elear for prog, black and symphonic metal. I use eq on both tho. 1990 is lot more comfy to me, reasonable weight and brilliantly split in two type of headband cushion that fits for my top of the head incredibly well. With dekoni pads I can wear this for hours and hours.

For video games 1990 wayyyy ahead.

Last edited:
May 17, 2022 at 6:23 AM Post #4,332 of 4,782
I now have both in use. And yes these are not similar HP.
I listen to very heavy music, these two are the best sub 1k eur HPs for metal music, I bet. I bought Elear used of course.
1990 is way better with death metal and doom metal. Elear for prog, black and symphonic metal. I use eq on both tho. 1990 is lot more comfy to me, reasonable weight and brilliantly split in two type of headband cushion that fits for my top of the head incredibly well. With dekoni pads I can wear this for hours and hours.

For video games 1990 wayyyy ahead.
Actually I enjoyed all metal genre better on dt1990 pro.

And Elear better on some rock record like bon Jovi , Aerosmith etc. Also pop song like Bruno Mars etc.

But, it's the matter of taste right? :D and from overall, I prefer DT1990 pro :D

And also true, the comfort is extremely good on dt1990 pro

Last edited:
May 26, 2022 at 2:04 AM Post #4,334 of 4,782
Do you know an IEM equivalent of a DT 1990 Pro? Some suggestions?
I don't know if it's the same since Beyer 1990 have some extra bass and bit laid back vocal. But inear prophile 8 (pp8) are famous for its flat freq response, and good for audio engineering purpose. I already tried it last year, I think it kinda sounds different. Beyer is more fun to listen. Not trying to be dead flat , but still relevant for mixing/mastering

Users who are viewing this thread

Back