Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone
Aug 31, 2021 at 10:06 AM Post #4,036 of 4,782
If anyone has explanations for why the sound might be difference, please enlighten me.
Explanations here: https://www.bluejeanscable.com/articles/whatwiredoes.htm

Cables are like seasoning in the stew. Finding cables with complementary sound determines the final result in significant ways; tonality, PRaT, sibilance, etc. The DT 1990 with good quality amplification will show significant differences in cables, it's worth experimenting. Unfortunately there's no specs I've found that will predict a best match, but I know that price is not a determinant of SQ.

Aug 31, 2021 at 10:10 AM Post #4,037 of 4,782
Frankly, I’ve found the stock cable to be of good quality (more than you can say of many of Beyerdynamic’s stock cables….).

Aug 31, 2021 at 10:34 AM Post #4,038 of 4,782
Frankly, I’ve found the stock cable to be of good quality (more than you can say of many of Beyerdynamic’s stock cables….).
Sorry, I was talking about cables in general, interconnects, USB, ethernet, etc., not just headphone cables. I am also using the stock headphone cables with the DT 1990 and no intention to change.

Sep 1, 2021 at 3:02 AM Post #4,039 of 4,782
If anyone has explanations for why the sound might be difference, please enlighten me.
It could be one of the following possibilities:
- the cables are designed that may have additional high pass filters (which can be done intentionally) since you mentioned that it affects the treble frequencies
- the cables are poorly made that introduces unwanted noise and distortion (so essentially poorly spec'd)
- placebo or sighted bias; you can perform blind tests with another friend to remove unwanted biases and confirm whether there are differences or not

I don't think this link you provided really explains the difference in what you are hearing for headphones specifically.

I read through it and the article doesn't discretely explain how the factors of wires could affect very small signals sent within a short range. The schema presented (while making wire composition simple enough for a basic reader) can be a bit misleading. Capacitance and inductance can already be calculated per given length and for short distance wires (and is not some infinite parallel series of inductance and capacitance). You should note that the article doesn't go more granular for electrical signals sent within 3 meters and for signals considered very low frequency bands. It is only briefing how the three physical factors can affect signals for other common applications - which have different specifications from generating an output analog signal that's usually not even amounting to more than 1 watts on average.

A more technical resource explaining the wire specifications can be found on this lecture slides link: http://bwrcs.eecs.berkeley.edu/Classes/icdesign/ee141_f01/Notes/chapter4.pdf

Sep 3, 2021 at 8:50 PM Post #4,040 of 4,782
I don't see the difference between balanced or unbalanced cable, but see the difference between different cables of headphones.
That is not easily explicable through technical parameters, which forms vector of which size should be many many more dimensions that we usually think.
Simply the number of the parameters is simply too short to explain, so that simple inductance and capacitance measured in small window are not enough.
Connector qualities also significant too.
............... . . . . . .
long sonic absence to your ears will recover every sonic quality back to you certainly regardless of your cable quality.
This means that it is not so simple.

Sep 4, 2021 at 3:28 PM Post #4,042 of 4,782
By the way, I am waiting my dt1990 pro, and it is ok to regard it is a bass-corrected HD800?
No.

The bass corrected version of the HD800 is the HD800S. Tonally the HD800/S and the DT1990 are dissimilar. The HD800S is the better headphone - technically, but personally I prefer the tone of the DT1990.

Sep 5, 2021 at 1:38 PM Post #4,043 of 4,782
By the way, I am waiting my dt1990 pro, and it is ok to regard it is a bass-corrected HD800?
As Slaphead mentioned, it is not. The HD800S was apparently designed to be that.

As someone who had the DT1990 before, the tonality is a bit different, and it can be seen from the difference in treble peak measurements. The HD800 is concentrated at the 6kHz while the DT1990 is at the 8.5k mark, which can clearly be heard. They both make the treble range flawed, whereas I find the DT1990 does this to a worse degree (with analytical pads). Nothing a pad change and/or EQ can't fix though.

Sep 7, 2021 at 7:45 AM Post #4,044 of 4,782
Hi! tryed my spiralcable for first time yesterday.
plug easy in. but when I will relase it. It is supertight. must use a little force. the straight cable is not so tight. what is normal?

Sep 7, 2021 at 10:40 AM Post #4,046 of 4,782
Next time, push the mini-xlr plug in, then press the button to release it.
Always push the button

edit: feels better now.
Bought this second hand.
Coilcable proably not used before

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2021 at 10:21 AM Post #4,047 of 4,782
Hello guys! Has anyone seen pads like these? (https://imgur.com/a/aoeJ3RO) I got them in the box with DT 1990 Pro... Not quite "Analytical" to me. So the whole story is that I got DT 1990 Pro's shipped in DT 1770 Pro box. Serial numbers on the box matches number on the headphones itself. Regarding build quality it's piece of art, superb quality of leather and metal, looks like real deal, even weights 377grams. But 2 things do confuse me.

1) DT 1770 Pro box has the same serial number as headphones which are DT 1990 Pro found in that box.
2) Replacement/swappable pads look like these (see photo) which is not how they should look like... They don't even look like "Balanced" to me or I might not have seen any.. Maybe it is some new revision thing? Although box of DT 1770 Pro has date of 12-2019.

Any ideas? Is it fake/duplicate? Should I return the product? It was bought via local internet shop, not verified retailer or BD themselves. I have not listened to the headphones due to strict customer rights politic in our country. If I want to return them, minor scratch and damage might strip me of such option..

Sep 15, 2021 at 11:02 AM Post #4,048 of 4,782
Hello guys! Has anyone seen pads like these? (https://imgur.com/a/aoeJ3RO) I got them in the box with DT 1990 Pro... Not quite "Analytical" to me. So the whole story is that I got DT 1990 Pro's shipped in DT 1770 Pro box. Serial numbers on the box matches number on the headphones itself. Regarding build quality it's piece of art, superb quality of leather and metal, looks like real deal, even weights 377grams. But 2 things do confuse me.

1) DT 1770 Pro box has the same serial number as headphones which are DT 1990 Pro found in that box.
2) Replacement/swappable pads look like these (see photo) which is not how they should look like... They don't even look like "Balanced" to me or I might not have seen any.. Maybe it is some new revision thing? Although box of DT 1770 Pro has date of 12-2019.

Any ideas? Is it fake/duplicate? Should I return the product? It was bought via local internet shop, not verified retailer or BD themselves. I have not listened to the headphones due to strict customer rights politic in our country. If I want to return them, minor scratch and damage might strip me of such option..
Those are DT770/880/990 pads if I'm not mistaken, and very possibly not actually Beyerdynamic pads. Between the pads and box both being incorrect, it definitely smells fishy; if it were me I would definitely return these and try again. The 1990s are an incredible headphone, I would not want my first listen to be unpleasant because of a shady pair.

Sep 15, 2021 at 11:37 AM Post #4,049 of 4,782

I agree with the above poster. There's something definitely very fishy about those. Not a certified retailer, the wrong pads, and the wrong serial number. I'd return them without hesitation.

Sep 15, 2021 at 11:47 AM Post #4,050 of 4,782
Thanks for your input. Since I have K712 Pros and they use same mini XLR I plugged them in and tested them out. I can clearly hear that peak many people are talking about and it feels a bit piercing, but EQ and burn in should do the thing. Seems to be real deal after all. A bit different than K712 Pro, but I was expecting it and I like them. I removed pre-installed pads and they were "Balanced" original pads. Did a bit more research on included pads, they seem to be from DT770/880/990 series like Jester mentioned. Looks like some strange detective like research is needed to understand what happened to the package and how pads are different, but at least they are real DT 1990 Pro, at least sound like many people describe them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back